Windows 10: Printer missing from drop-down menus

Discus and support Printer missing from drop-down menus in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an HP Compaq 6200 SFF running 64-bit Windows 10 Pro that won't print to either of two HP printers I have tried. I have tried an HP OfficeJet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JustSomeGuy, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Printer missing from drop-down menus

I have an HP Compaq 6200 SFF running 64-bit Windows 10 Pro that won't print to either of two HP printers I have tried.

I have tried an HP OfficeJet 3830 and an HP OfficeJet 4650 and get identical results with both.

I can, though, print to a Canon MP470 (so maybe the brand needs to be non HP-to-HP, ha, ha!).

In all cases, I am using a wired (USB) connection between PC and printer(s).

I have tried two different USB cables, and get the same results with both.

The printer shows up in Control Panel -> Printers and Devices.

I have tried removing and rediscovering the device from 'Printers and Devices' via right-click -> Remove. This has not fixed the problem.

I can scan ok (with either HP printer, and to a file on the PC), but in various apps (browsers, word processors, spreadsheets, MS Paint, etc), but in all cases there is no entry for either HP printer in the Print drop-down menu.

I have tried both: i. printing after allowing the printer to install via plug-and-play; and ii. installed HP's printer drivers. In both cases, the printers are missing from the drop down menus.

In 'Printers and Devices', if I right-click on either of the problematic printers and choose Troubleshoot, the result is 'Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem'.

In 'Printers and Devices', if I right-click on the problematic printer and choose Properties, then Hardware tab, Device Status is, "This device is working properly." There are three entries in the Hardware tab for the 3830:

" HP OfficeJet 3830 series (USB)HP
    OfficeJet 3830 series (REST)
    HP OfficeJet 3838 Series"

These three lines, above, each has a different icon to the left of the text.

The 'USB' entry has an icon to the left that looks like a printer.

The 'REST' entry icon seems to be a USB connector.

The 'HP OfficeJet 3830 Series' line has an icon to the left that looks like a tower with a question mark in it.

In the Hardware tab, 'Manufacturer' is 'Unknown'.

I welcome any suggestions for further troubleshooting.

Thanks,

:)

JustSomeGuy, Apr 27, 2017

2. IE 11 Drop down Favorities

The Drop down Favorites List from the Favorites Menu Bar is missing. The Explorer Bar still Shows all of my favorites. But, the convenience and organization of the drop down menu is missing

RalphMungons, Apr 27, 2017
  3. Windows 10 - Drop down menus in printer preferences are cut off

Hello Greg,

Unfortunately I have followed your suggestions and still am experiencing the same issue.

I've verified the drivers are all fully updated. I've also verified the Intel HD Graphics are updated to the latest driver, and the NVIDIA GeForce graphics driver is updated to the latest driver.

I am also now getting an error message when I try to update via Windows Update: "There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help:
    (0x80244022)". However, I don't know if that's related to this display issue or not.

Tim Porterfield, Apr 27, 2017
  4. Printer missing from drop-down menus

Hi JustSomeGuy. Welcome to the TenForums @JustSomeGuy

Normally HP products like you to install software and when they ask you connect device. Seems like a technicality but worth trying. I would uninstall devices, drivers and software and then retry.

Before doing this I would ensure I had a system image made with your tool or Macrium Reflect (free). Then if something goes wrong you can get back to where you were.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 28, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    I have found that some USB printers don't play well with USB 3.0 ports but do fine on USB 2.0 ports. Latest I had to deal with was a client's older all-in-one that would print only about a third to a half page then lose communication with the computer, switching to a USB 2.0 port worked fine. Or in other words some USB 3.0 things don't always "fall back" to USB 2.0.

Berton, Apr 28, 2017
  6. Thanks for the reply, Ken.

Here's what I did this morning.

• Removed usb cable
    • powered HP 3830 printer down
    • deleted printer device and its drivers
    • rebooted pc
    • inserted CD that came with the printer and ran setup
    • printer setup offered to download the HPEasyStart app, which I did
    • ran HPEasyStart and followed all of its instructions
    • HPEasyStart offers wired or wireless install. I chose wired (USB)
    • While between HPEasyStart steps, I got Windows 10 popups in the lower-right of the screen indicating ‘printer install complete’, so I wonder if Windows plug-n-play is interfering with HP’s install.
    • I continued with HPEasyStart. It gave me an option of installing ‘Full Software and Drivers’ or ‘Basic Drivers’. I installed Full Software and Drivers
    • I get a ‘Device Setup Complete’ Windows popup in the lower-right portion of the screen.
    • The HPEasyStart screen says, “Device connection unsuccessful”. The device was not able to connect successfully over the USB cable. Please check the cable connections and then click Retry to try again.”
    • There is now an entry for this printer in Devices and Printers. In Devices and Printers → Properties → Hardware, Device Status is: “This device is working properly”. Clicking Properties (in the Hardware tab, as opposed to ‘Properties’ when right-clicking on the printer icon in Devices and Printers), in the Driver tab, Driver Provider is “HP”, Driver Date is “3/4/2017”, and Driver Version is “40.11.1113.1762”. In the Events tab: “Driver Management concluded the process to install driver hpwia_….with the following status: 0x0”
    • In MS-Word → Print → pull-down menu, I see an entry for ‘Fax – HP OfficeJet 3830 Series’.
    • Still in the ‘Device connection unsuccessful’ screen (see above), I click the Retry button. This results in a Windows popup windows: “device undergoing additional setup“ and “HP device has completed setup”
    • I try a second USB cable and click the Retry button in the Device Connection Unsuccessful screen. It fails again with “The device was not able to connect successfully over the USB cable”
    • I can print to a Canon printer using either of these cables connected to the PC that I am using to try to connect to the HP 3830.
    • I exit HPEasyStart.
    • I wonder if the ‘fax’ menu item is actually the printer, so I try to print to the ‘Fax - HP 3830’ pull-down menu choice from MS Word, and I get a popup, “The printer is not installed”
    • I download and run the HP app, ‘Troubleshooting HP printer software installation’, which suggests, “Solution 1: Restart the computer and reinstall the HP software’. So, I powered down the printer, unplugged the usb cable, and restarted the pc.
    • After PC restart, the Troubleshooting app automatically ran and provided a link for HP Printer Install Wizard, which downloaded hppiw.exe, which I ran.
    • I followed the Wizard instructions, and it gave a screen, “The following printers were detected and are connected to your computer” and an empty list. Maybe the Wizard doesn’t know about the 3830? So, I clicked on ‘My printer is not listed”, which takes me to a screen that suggests that I (re-)connect the USB cable or make sure that the printer is on the PC’s network before proceeding.
    • I configure the 3830 for wireless and it got an IP address from my router.
    • Back in the printer Wizard, I clicked on the ‘My printer is not listed’ button and checked the ‘My printer is already configured for use on the same network as my computer’ and clicked Next. The Wizard found and listed the’HP OfficeJet 3830 Series’. I selected it and clicked Next. The Wizard tried to discover and reported ‘The selected device is not currently supported by this Wizard.’ I exited the Wizard.
    • If I do [WindowsKey] Q and type Printer and click ‘Printers and Scanners’, the list includes these two items:

• HP OfficeJet 3830 Series App available for this device’
      • HPA2882A (HP OfficeJet 3830 Series) Driver is unavailable

• If I take either of these two USB cables and attach them to a Windows 8.1 PC, I can print to the 3830.

So, it is as though the 3830 driver is not installed correctly or there is a USB problem.

JustSomeGuy, Apr 28, 2017
  7. Berton, thank you for the reply.

This Compaq 6200 SFF has only USB 2.0 ports, per:

HP Compaq 6200 Pro Small Form Factor PC - Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Even though my PC runs Windows 10, it is a refurb, and apparently originally had Win7 installed (there is still a Windows 7 sticker on it).

8. Printer missing from drop-down menus

I hate the word easy, really.

Went to our friends at HP and the latest version is version 35, dated Jun 1, 2015.

Not 40 from this year ???

Trust me I'm not wanting to drive you crazy but....

I would go to HP and get the full file.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...series/7172328

Then uninstall everything one more time and unplug the USB cable. Please ensure you uninstall any HP e-print app and any easy install app.

Then start the install, double click on exe, and say no thanks to any "easy" setup or any request to check for newer. It should install and ask for printer. Once installed please confirm you have right driver version.

Once installed could you right click on printer and click on Printer Properties. Then click on Port tabs and see what port it is connected, if it is connected.

Can I ask in Settings, Devices, Printers and scanners, how are you setting default printer, you choose or Windows chooses?

Caledon Ken, Apr 28, 2017
  9. Hi Caledon Ken -

Thanks for the reply.

After reading your post I uninstalled all HP printer software, deleted anything related to the 3830 in 'Devices and Printers' (the fax), rebooted the PC, downloaded the full file that you referenced, and ran it.

The install gets stuck at 'Connect the USB cable', although I see that there is an HP 3830 printer icon in Devices and Printers as well as a 'Fax 3830 icon'.

I don't see a Ports tab.

In Devices and Printers I right-click on the 'HP OfficeJet 3830 series', click Properties (there is no 'Printer Properties' menu item. Also, there is no 'Set as default printer' menu item. The Properties pop-up had a Hardware tab which has these sub-tabs : General, Driver, Details, Events.

If I click on Driver (in the printer's Properties), by the way, I get a pop-up, "HP OfficeJet 3830 Series No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device."

I have not set a default printer.

10. Strange. When you right click on a printer in the context menu there are two properties, one midway down labelled "Printer Properties" right under Printer Preferences and one at bottom "Properties". The ports tab should be within "Printer Properties". So the printer isn't installed and it is not accepting the USB connection. Very strange.

Have a look at this article.

HP Printers - 'Device Setup Failed' or 'Unknown Device' Message Displays During USB Installation (Windows) | HP® Customer Support

Lots of ideas, you will see if any solutions. It is as though Plug and Play is not work. Have you run sfc /scannow

If you go Start, Setting, Devices, Printers and scanners, right hand window is where you set or you let microsoft set default printer?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 29, 2017
  11. Berton Win User
    Yep, the bottom Properties item is for the icon itself.

Berton, Apr 29, 2017
  12. Caledon Ken, thanks for the post.

I read through the HP link that you provided. I've already done most of the troubleshooting suggested in that article, although I had not tried disabling startup items.

I followed the suggestion in the article you cited about looking at Device Manager. I don't see any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager.

The HP article suggests expanding the 'Printer' item in Device Manager, although I don't have one. I have a 'Print Queues' item, though. If I expand the Print Queues item I see no entry for the printer even though the printer is shown in Control Panel -> Devices and Printers.

I had been looking for the 'Default printer' option in Control Panel -> Devices and Printers, but after seeing your post I looked in Settings.

In Settings, at the Devices screen there is an entry 'HP OfficeJet 3830 Series' under 'Printers & Scanners', and below that 'Let Windows manage my default printer' is checked. I don't see an option in this window for setting the 3830 to be the default printer, though. I looked online just now, and all of the tutorial examples I've looked at set the default printer in the Control Panel screen, for example: how to set a default printer in windows 10 - YouTube .

I have not run sfc. I'll do that tonight.

JustSomeGuy, May 1, 2017
  13. Printer missing from drop-down menus

OK, I don't have a solution that is very helpful but here is what I did for a friends pc. He had bought a new HP 4520 printer it would install on his Windows 10 but would not print. It would scan but not print. I know from past experience that this is normally a problem with HP's install/uninstall routine and once upon a time (In the XP world) they actually made a tool to do a complete "uninstall" of HP printers on the computer to include the registry files. It's too bad they haven't produced one for today's world of Windows 10 and plug and play.

Anyhow, I took my friends printer to my house, connected it to my network and my Windows 10 box found the printer on the network, installed the correct drivers, and I could print and scan anything and everything without an issue. So I knew the problem was in his workstation somewhere. I found several tools from HP but none of them resolved the issue.

I started looking at Windows updates hoping to see when the last update was and maybe I could go back to a previous update to see if it worked. That's when I noticed that none of the Windows updates have been installing and they all had failed for one reason or another. So at that point, I took his computer to my house, backed up his data, and reinstalled the Windows 10 OS. Once I did that, it found the printer, installed the correct driver and now I can print and scan to his new printer. And all updates have been completed and are working again.

So, with all this being said, I would run the sfc scan as someone else suggested, if that doesn't resolve or find any issues, then my thinking is, you could reinstall the OS and be done in an hour or two OR you could continue to hunt for an answer...

Anyway, something to think about. Keep us posted.

play2mefish, May 1, 2017
  14. Thanks for the update. I think if you click on printer once, in Settings, Devices it will expand. One of the boxes should be set as default.

Play2mefish's solution's is likely the fastest route to end game.

The question then becomes do you do a reset, an in place upgrade or clean install. Regardless I would have my data backed up off machine.

I think it is interesting that we you plug the printer in the install doesn't acknowledge the connection.

Do you hear the USB insertion sound even if HP won't proceed with install?

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Printer missing from drop-down menus

1. Printer missing from drop-down menus - Similar Threads - Printer missing drop

2. Cannot select items from drop-down menus

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot select items from drop-down menus: Hello,I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 6. I am trying to use an engineering load program from Carrier. However, I cannot select items from the drop-down menu. When I click on the items nothing happens. The same is true when I navigate to the items using the keyboard and hit...
  3. Cannot select items from drop-down menus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot select items from drop-down menus: Hello,I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 6. I am trying to use an engineering load program from Carrier. However, I cannot select items from the drop-down menu. When I click on the items nothing happens. The same is true when I navigate to the items using the keyboard and hit...
  4. Cannot select items from drop-down menus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Right click and drop down menus not working

Right click and drop down menus not working: Hi I need help.It all started with the fact that when i right click on a file not rename it, the whole file explorer will crash.Its now gotten worse, i can no longer click on anything from a drop down menu or right click menu. It pops up but nothing opens up when i click on a...
  6. Drop down menus

Drop down menus: My dropdown menus have started opening up with a black background with red lettering. How can I change that back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drop-down-menus/dac605d0-faff-49f1-a627-7d3866cd754a
  7. Drop-down menus in display settings flickering

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drop-down menus in display settings flickering: The drop-down menus in the display settings are flickering, making it difficult to adjust resolutions or adjust external monitors sometimes. This is happening on 3 different Lenovo ThinkPad P52 laptops running Windows 10 Enterprise Ver. 1903. I have run all Windows and Lenovo...
  8. Drop Down Menus disappear

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drop Down Menus disappear: When I select an icon, the drop-down menu appears when I mouse over to select from the DDM, the DDM disappears. Examples: Outlook: I click on the send to the button, I mouse down on the list (DDM) and the list of names disappears. OneDrive: Click on the OneDrive syncing...
  9. Setting up Drop Down Menus with Color

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Setting up Drop Down Menus with Color: I have two Excel spreadsheets that I drew up to help people in the office track their days off and whether they use sick, annual, holiday or admin leave, in addition to filling in the regular calendar. I created drop down menus to facilitate that. In the first spreadsheet,...
  10. Can't get favorites from edge to chrome, and missing drop-down menus

in Browsers and Email
    Can't get favorites from edge to chrome, and missing drop-down menus: Things arent the way it says when I look it up, get more confused. Had IE, tried Edge, wasnt crazy about it, now did Chrome for default browser. Also, no longer have the words at upper left with drop down menus.....the file/edit/view/tools/help, etc? 92954