Windows 10: Printer sharing on network

Discus and support Printer sharing on network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a new MFC installed on a network computer but connected via USB. The printer is set up to share and I can connect and print from another desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tlrsr, Feb 20, 2017.

1. tlrsr Win User

Printer sharing on network

I have a new MFC installed on a network computer but connected via USB. The printer is set up to share and I can connect and print from another desktop on a wired network. However, I can not load the printer utilities and remotely configure the MFC. The error message says the printer is offline. I want to be able to connect to the printer from my desktop and view the status and configuration.
    The MFC is a Brother, MFC-J6920DW.
    Please, I am a computer user not a techie so use layman's terms.

Thank you.
    Tom R.

:)

tlrsr, Feb 20, 2017
  2. mlg63 Win User

Prrinter off line

What model printer and how is it connected--wired to the win 10 computer or wireless? Is the printer or the computer offline? If the printer is connected to another computer on the network or to the wireless router--Sharing must be set up on the win 10 computer.
    The default is no sharing of anything. Network and Sharing Center should be used to change Advanced Sharing options and setup your private network settings. The default Public network needs to be changed to Private with file and printer sharing.

Get more help from the printer manufacturer's support site. That would have instructions for setting up a wireless printer.

mlg63, Feb 20, 2017
  3. mlg63 Win User
    Can Windows 10 network with a Windows XP Pro machine?

No drivers for windows 10 means you cannot use the printer on the win 10 computer. This is not a network problem. You must have an old printer that needs to be replaced by a wireless all in one. Keep the old printer on the xp computer. You can network
    with the xp computer simply by setting your Network & Sharing Center to share files on a Private network but you will not be able to use the xp printer without drivers. You can share files but not the printer.

mlg63, Feb 20, 2017
  4. pbcopter Win User

Hi Tom and Welcome.

Why not just connect that printer directly to the network rather than USB to one of the computers? That way it is independent and can be controlled from any computer on the network.

Paul

pbcopter, Feb 21, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    The util will be looking for a usb connection have you checked on makers site they often have a network util for status etc and some even have remote scanning

Samuria, Feb 21, 2017
  6. tlrsr Win User
    Paul, thanks for resonding.
    The way the office is set up there isn't an available network cable and the IT department will not run one or allow an additional router.

tlrsr, Feb 21, 2017
  7. tlrsr Win User
    Samurai. Thanks for the post.
    I was online with Brother support and they declined to help saying it was a Windows sharing problem and directed me to Microsoft.

tlrsr, Feb 21, 2017
  8. tlrsr Win User

Also from my desktop, the MFC is accessed thru another computer that is connected to the MFC via a USB cable. The utility software thinks the printer is offline.

tlrsr, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Printer sharing on network - Similar Threads - Printer sharing network

2. printer on shared network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    printer on shared network: I have just updated Window 11, after updating the window, I am unable to add printer shared on network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-on-shared-network/3b1ac14f-dca7-473a-9590-663d80e24a9d
  3. printer on shared network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    printer on shared network: I have just updated Window 11, after updating the window, I am unable to add printer shared on network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-on-shared-network/3b1ac14f-dca7-473a-9590-663d80e24a9d
  4. sharing a printer on network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sharing a printer on network: I'm trying to connect a secondary computer to the primary one but I get the error message:Windows can't communicate with the device or resource SOMERSETASPIRE.The computer or service you are trying to reach might be temporarilyunavailable. If the device or resource is nearby...
  5. sharing a printer on network

sharing a printer on network: I'm trying to connect a secondary computer to the primary one but I get the error message:Windows can't communicate with the device or resource SOMERSETASPIRE.The computer or service you are trying to reach might be temporarilyunavailable. If the device or resource is nearby...
  6. sharing a printer on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Network shared printers.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network shared printers.: And so following the latest updates to Windows 21H1 networked computers are no longer able to access shared printers on the network. Can be 'seen' but cannot be connected to or used.~So just when is this major issue to be fixed?And don't come on here and tell me there is a...
  8. Network shared printers.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network shared printers.: And so following the latest updates to Windows 21H1 networked computers are no longer able to access shared printers on the network. Can be 'seen' but cannot be connected to or used.~So just when is this major issue to be fixed?And don't come on here and tell me there is a...
  9. Network shared printers.

10. Network shared printers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network shared printers: We are seeing our shared network printers only show by the driver name on windows 10 2004. This is not happening to all users on this version and between two accounts one shows some share names with mostly driver named printers. The other account does not show any shared...