Windows 10: Printer sharing without a password

Discus and support Printer sharing without a password in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to help my sister remotely with her windows 10 desktop which has a printer connected to one of the USB ports. She wants to share this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pmennen, Aug 31, 2016.

1. pmennen Win User

Printer sharing without a password

I'm trying to help my sister remotely with her windows 10 desktop which has a printer connected to one of the USB ports. She wants to share this printer with a 2nd computer (also win10) on her network. So I set the printer to shared and gave it a sharing name. Then on the 2nd computer I tried to install the printer using //computerName/printerName. It thought about this for a while and then asked for a username and password. Unfortunately my sister doesn't seem to know the password for her computer. (It doesn't ask for one when it boots up). I also just tried searching for a networked computer on the 2nd computer. Then I selected the 1st computer (with the attached printer). At this point it brings up a window asking for the 1st computer's credentials. I don't know if this is yet a different password, but again is something my sister doesn't know.

Is there any way to share the printer without these credentials, or is she pretty much hosed without it?

~Paul

:)

pmennen, Aug 31, 2016

2. How do you share a printer in Windows 10?

I did try and share the printer. On the second computer when I tried to get to the shared printer I was asked to supply a password. Seeing as how the first computer was set up without a password, this was a show stopper.

The printer is a Canon imageclass MF4150. Connected via USB.

The printer is at least three years old.

The link provided was very helpful and showed how to turn off password protected printer sharing.

WHSathenae, Aug 31, 2016
  3. sharing a usb printer without sharing files

Hi,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community.

If other USB devices are working and only USB printer is not working then I would suggest you to try the steps provided in the article/threads mentioned below and see if it helps.

Error "0x0000052e" Appears When You Try to Install a Network
    Printer in Windows 7

Error message when you try to install a network printer in Windows 7: "0x0000052e"

windows 8.1 and sharing a printer hardwired to a windows 2000 desktop

If other USB devices are also not working then Then the issue may arise if the currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupt or if your PC requires an update for issues that may conflict with a USB device and
    Windows. This may also occur if your USB controllers may have become unstable or corrupt. So, I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if the issue persists.

Method 1:

Remove and reinstall all USB controllers.

• Open Device Manager by pressing Windows key + X and select
      device manager from the list. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • In the list of hardware categories, find and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click
      Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
    • Restart the computer, and let the USB controllers get reinstalled.
    • Plug in the removable USB device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

Method 2

The issue could be if the drivers are not updated or get corrupted. So, try to install all of the Windows updates available and if issue persists, try to update the USB
    and mouse drivers by following the steps provided in the article mentioned below.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows

If issue still persists, then install the drivers for Windows 8/8.1 from the manufacturer's website in compatibility mode and check if that works.

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...5&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Method 3

If issue persists try the steps provided to uninstall the USB device from Device Manager, uninstall the device drivers from program list and then download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Step 1:

Uninstall the Device from Device Manager

• Open Device Manger by clicking on Windows key + X and selecting
      Device manager from the list.
    • Expand the USB section.
    • Find the USB device.
    • Right click USB and select Uninstall.
    • Select the check box delete the driver software for this device.
    • Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.

Step 2:

Uninstall the Device Drivers from Program List in Control Panel

• Click on start, select Control Panel
    • Now click on Programs and select Programs and Features.
    • Find the USB.
    • Right click USB driver and select Uninstall.
    • Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.

Step 3:

Download and install the latest drivers for the USB from the manufacturer website

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Aug 31, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

Have a look in Users and see if a Password is even set , On both computers ? if not add one....you can always turn it off at boot , but Win10 likes PW for security and Scheduling Tasks etc.

Kbird, Aug 31, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    Agreed, one computer needs permission to access the other one. For my purpose I use printers with Ethernet connections to my Router, don't need passwords and work with any computer I install the software on, either wired or wireless. Some folks prefer Wi-Fi connections but I find them to be less reliable.

Berton, Aug 31, 2016
  6. pmennen Win User
    Well certainly sharing a network printer is easier and preferable, but this is an older printer that only connects via USB. I just realized that I should find out what kind of router she has. If it is relatively modern router with a USB port we could just plug the printer into that ... but if not I guess we will still have to figure out the password issue.
    ~Paul

pmennen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Printer sharing without a password - Similar Threads - Printer sharing without

2. Printer sharing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer sharing: I have LQ 2190 shared printer after windows 10 update printer couldn't share the user "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denined" Please assist me to solve this issue....
  3. Network Folder Sharing with and without Password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Folder Sharing with and without Password: Good Day, I have setup a small Private Network. I will be sharing a few folders, some of them will require username/Password wich will be created as local accounts on the shared folder PC. But i would also like to share another folder with "Everyone" and require no username...
  4. printer sharing

printer sharing: i am unable to share drives and printers over network from win 10 pc to win 7 pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-sharing/ebd345c9-6ab1-4b18-add1-9b1d0bfce2b1
  5. Printer sharing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Printer sharing: I have two PCs working in a Home Workgroup. When i upgraded both PCs to version 1803 i lost the ability to share the printer on PC2 with PC1. The PC1 printer could still be shared with PC2. I have struggled with this problem for several months, trying everything i could...
  6. How can I share printer on network without sharing files?

How can I share printer on network without sharing files?: I am inquiring about a home network. Would like to share a printer on desktopA with others on network. It works great with laptopA which is on same Microsoft account. But others in the house are not on this Microsoft account, and I do not want to give them access to files -...
  7. Can't add Shared Printer Without Credentials

Can't add Shared Printer Without Credentials: I have been printing from one computer to a printer connected to another computer on my small office network for Years. A few weeks a go I started having issues with not being able to open the the printer properties to change paper size and so forth. When I try to open the...
  8. Sharing a printer

Sharing a printer: I have a computer running windows 7 & 2 computers running windows 10 pro. At the moment one of the Windows 10 computers and the Windows 7 computer share the printer connected to the windows 10 computer via a homegroup. What I want to do is replace the Windows 10 computer...
  9. sharing netbios without password across subnets

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sharing netbios without password across subnets: I have shared files between 2 laptops on my homenetwork (1 subnet) without password. I have read netbios can also share across subnets if you place a hostfile with the mapping hostname-ipnr on the client. My question is, if bios can share across subnets, isn't it dangerous...
  10. I want to share files and printers without HOMEGROUPS.

I want to share files and printers without HOMEGROUPS.: I'm about ready to put this computer through a wall. It keeps telling me that I've been invited to join a homegroup. When I try that, I get a long wait, then it tells me that there isn't a home group but I can create one. *MadI DONT WANT ANY HOMEGROUP.*Mad << Read...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. printer sharing user and password

2. sharing printer without password

3. windows printer sharing no password