Windows 10: Private or Public

Discus and support Private or Public in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just noticed in Windows defender My network is listed as public. Does it matter if my network is listed as private or public. I found how to change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Winuser, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Winuser Win User

Private or Public

I just noticed in Windows defender My network is listed as public. Does it matter if my network is listed as private or public. I found how to change it if I have to. I just want to know if it matters. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. In the network box on the task bar it only shows my wi-fi connections and not my wired connection. I'm connected by wire to the router. I'm using build 10162 upgraded from Windows 8.1.1.

:)

Winuser, Jul 5, 2015

2. Network - Public or Private

I use Win 10 home and the option is not there. A friend of mine just emailed me the best way to make the change. All I had to do was log on as administrator and the option magically reappears.

SaulSilver, Jul 5, 2015
  3. Network - Public or Private

Hi Saul,

In Win 10 version 1709 open Settings >Network & Internet >Status - then click on "Change connection properties", the resulting window will have the controls that you are looking for.

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes.

-Richard

RichardEiler, Jul 5, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Private or Public

It really just depends on your needs and location. *Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...dows-10-a.html

Public network = By default, the public network location type is assigned to any new networks when they are first connected. A public network is considered to be shared with the world, with no protection between the local computer and any other computer. Therefore, the Windows Firewall rules associated with the public profile are the most restrictive. This blocks the following apps and services from working: PlayTo, file sharing, network discovery, and automatic setup of network printers, TVs, and other devices.

Private network = A private network location type can be for home or small office networks, or when you know and trust the people and devices on the network. This setting allows your PC to connect to a homegroup and devices on the network, such as printers.

Brink, Jul 6, 2015
  5. Winuser Win User
    Thanks! It's a desktop and not on wi-fi so I changed it to private.

Winuser, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Private or Public

1. Private or Public - Similar Threads - Private Public

2. How is possible both public and private networks are simultaneously showing being active?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How is possible both public and private networks are simultaneously showing being active?: Newest windows was download via update two days ago, now this is happening. And yes, I checked and my "public" choice is still my chosen selected network. My VPN is listed with the active private network, and the usual network 2 is listed for the public network I prefer...
  3. How is possible both public and private networks are simultaneously showing being active?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How is possible both public and private networks are simultaneously showing being active?: Newest windows was download via update two days ago, now this is happening. And yes, I checked and my "public" choice is still my chosen selected network. My VPN is listed with the active private network, and the usual network 2 is listed for the public network I prefer...
  4. Why does Cast to Device show up several times in firewall on both public and private domains?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Cast to Device show up several times in firewall on both public and private domains?: My firewall shows cast to device serval times? Why is this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-cast-to-device-show-up-several-times-in/749c8c8b-5405-4d8b-a34c-a4b0a778c453
  5. Why does Cast to Device show up several times in firewall on both public and private domains?

Why does Cast to Device show up several times in firewall on both public and private domains?: My firewall shows cast to device serval times? Why is this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-cast-to-device-show-up-several-times-in/749c8c8b-5405-4d8b-a34c-a4b0a778c453
  6. Could I get a Straight answer re: Private vs Public network?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could I get a Straight answer re: Private vs Public network?: Hi. I've googled the question I'd like to get a Straight answer to my question: Should I have my Windows 10 desktop PC set to Private or Public, and which setting would provide the best level of security?However, no matter how I word my Question, what normally comes up are...
  7. Could I get a Straight answer re: Private vs Public network?

Could I get a Straight answer re: Private vs Public network?: Hi. I've googled the question I'd like to get a Straight answer to my question: Should I have my Windows 10 desktop PC set to Private or Public, and which setting would provide the best level of security?However, no matter how I word my Question, what normally comes up are...
  8. Could I get a Straight answer re: Private vs Public network?

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Networks in Win 10 labeled Public but are Private

Networks in Win 10 labeled Public but are Private: I have Win10 Home Ver 10.0.19045 Build 19045 I have my xfinity network switched to Private but am running into trouble with switching my VPN from Public to Private. I've been attempting to install GPEdit.msc, and I haven't had the chance to check out windows firewall which...
  10. Networks in Win 10 labeled Public but are Private

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networks in Win 10 labeled Public but are Private: I have Win10 Home Ver 10.0.19045 Build 19045 I have my xfinity network switched to Private but am running into trouble with switching my VPN from Public to Private. I've been attempting to install GPEdit.msc, and I haven't had the chance to check out windows firewall which...