Windows 10: Private VPN and port forwarding 1723 to Random Port - any ideas

Discus and support Private VPN and port forwarding 1723 to Random Port - any ideas in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there I'm creating a private VPN - the actual VPN creation process isn't too bad but there's a bit of security I don't like. Incoming VPN... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Apr 24, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Private VPN and port forwarding 1723 to Random Port - any ideas

Hi there

I'm creating a private VPN - the actual VPN creation process isn't too bad but there's a bit of security I don't like.

Incoming VPN connections on Windows I think use Port 1723 - so malicious people if they want to check for any VPN's out there can just see who has got port 1723 open.

Is there a way of "masking" this -- say accept a Random port number (obviously fixed for the time the VPN is open) but unlikely to be targeted and then forward that port "internally" to 1723.

I'm getting into Network stuff which is "a bit beyond my paygrade here" though.

As far as the external IP address is for the Internet (i.e Me) it's easy enough

I have a silly stupid little micky mouse email program that just runs every 30 mins with an IPQUERY (on windows) or IFCONFIG (on LINUX), pipes the output into a file and then emails me so if the IP address has changed (ISP's tend not to give out static IP stuff any more) I can still access the VPN by simply reading the email and typing in the new I.P address.

My program runs on a Linux crontab with a sendmail command so that's easy enough to get the IP address every so often. Having trouble getting the windows one to work -- outlook seems to blow up when trying an auto sendmail but that's a minor issue currently -- the Linux one is fine.

I don't need to pay silly people like dyndns or whatever for doing essentially the same thing as I'm doing - although you get a domain name rather than use a specic IP address. As I'm the only user the IP address is fine. I do have a domain but that's for other uses - this VPN I want to be able to access the whole thing like I would do at home - and need slightly more sophistication than RDP gives. Eventually it will be some type of Server config so multiple users can logon concurrently to their own Windows VM's.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 24, 2018

2. VPN to localip works, VPN to localip:1723 does not. Why?

Doing a -netstat- before and after establishing the VPN connection (without specifying port) shows that my client computer establishes connections to ports 1723 and 139. Some other port connections are also added, but with status TIME_WAIT (whatever that
    means).

For the sake of it I also tried connecting specifying port 139, with little luck. 1723 seems to be the port I'm getting halfway there with, other ports return the error

"The remote connection was not made because the name of the remote access server did not resolve".

Using 1723, it simply says "Connecting" but goes nowhere.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Best regards,

Steinar

Fossie1973, Apr 24, 2018
  3. VPN and Port Forwarding on Windows 10 Pro

I believe the issue lies in portforwarding or the firewall protection.

-> That's easily confirmed by temporarily turning off the firewall.

What port do I need to open, and what is the best way to do this?

-> Asking a search engine like so: "VPN port number" will tell you straight away.

I've tried going into my network settings and setting up a port forward there.

-> You must create a tunnel for port 1723 in your router.

I've also tried to add a rule to the firewall to allow this port to make the connection, but I still cannot connect remotely.

-> As one of your first tests should run telnet.exe on a PC that is connected to the same network as your VPN server, e.g. like so: telnet 192.168.1.20 1723.

Frederik Long, Apr 24, 2018
Thema:

Private VPN and port forwarding 1723 to Random Port - any ideas

1. Private VPN and port forwarding 1723 to Random Port - any ideas - Similar Threads - Private VPN port

2. Forwarded port filtered

in Windows 10 Support
    Forwarded port filtered: Hello My name is Bo and I live in Sweden. I'm a member of a small songgroup and we try to find a way to reherse from our different homes- (Normal Videoconference software have far too much latency). we have found a software which seems to do the work if we can have a server...
  3. Port forward

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Port forward: Why do the various sites online for checking the router's open ports see the doors closed, while they are open? I have a Fastweb Fastgate router. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/port-forward/7c87e27e-60f9-4ff3-9582-f20582de3024
  4. Port Forward

Port Forward: How do I port forward? I tried portforward.com but did not work.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/port-forward/00a563a6-dab5-478b-9547-f6c19f73e1a8
  5. PORT FORWARDING

PORT FORWARDING: HEY, i tried a lot!!! but i am not successful in port fordwarding... where is the problem, i don't know. How to solve.... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/port-forwarding/581bf140-fd49-471c-8412-dc44d9023e79
  6. Port forwarding issue

Port forwarding issue: I have a public IP address and sometimes host game servers on my PC. I was perfectly able to do this before, but now any server that I create doesn't seem to be visible from the outside of network. I made no changes to the network configuration, the only thig that appears to...
  7. Port Forwarding

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Port Forwarding: Need to open up ports for an upcoming project (HTTPs, SSH, and RDP). I've added all these services in the "port forwarding" section of my network settings. However when scanning with netstat, I cannot find these ports enabled. Pinging directly with telnet I get a failed...
  8. Can't port forwarding

Can't port forwarding: [ATTACH] Port serviciu = Service port Port intern = Intern port Adresa IP = IP Address Protocol = Protocol Toate = All Stare = Status Activat = On/Activated Modificare = Modify Stergere = Delete I am trying to portforward a server but it doesn't work [ATTACH] I...
  9. Port forwarding not working

Port forwarding not working: Im trying open a port on my computer to allow torrent programs to upload better. problem is I cant seem to get this done. [img] [img] 67774
  10. Port forwarding help

Port forwarding help: How can i make port forwarding? I can't seem to make it. 86212