Windows 10: PRNTSCR Print Screen does not copy to clipboard

Discus and support PRNTSCR Print Screen does not copy to clipboard in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As of yesterday, when I press the PrntScr (Print Screen) button on my laptop, it does not copy to the clipboard. So for example, if I PrntScr my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by duckhunt, Oct 1, 2015.

1. duckhunt Win User

PRNTSCR Print Screen does not copy to clipboard

As of yesterday, when I press the PrntScr (Print Screen) button on my laptop, it does not copy to the clipboard. So for example, if I PrntScr my desktop and try to paste it in MS Word or MS Paint or anything, it will simply not paste anything, or paste the last thing that was on the clipboard. If I open the clipboard and take a screenshot of something, nothing happens on the clipboard.

I know the physical key is still working because I have Dropbox screenshots enabled, and whenever I press PrntScr, it shows me a notification saying that the screenshot has been saved. Also, ALT+PrntScr seems to work, but that's only for the current window, and I frequently screenshot my entire workspace. I'm not looking for alternative screen capture software -- I like the simplicity of the PrntScr key.

This key had been working fine for me for the last year I've had this laptop. No software was installed or anything like that over the last couple of days. Any help is appreciated.

:)

duckhunt, Oct 1, 2015

2. Screenshots not being saved anywhere since upgradation to Windows 10

I found the reply helpful even though the replies are for Windows 8/8.1

In Windows 10, however,I figured out that windows+prntscr isn't saving my screenshots in the pictures->screenshot folder, just copying it to my clipboard, so I can paste it somewhere and then save it. But that should be happening
    by just clicking prntscr .

ImanBhattacharyya, Oct 1, 2015
  3. Jetta48 Win User
    print screen key

Hi

The Print Screen key does not immediately print the screen as it's name might suggest. Instead it copies an image of the screen to your clipboard. You can then paste this into an image editing app (for example, the built-in
    Paint app) then edit, save and print the image as you want from there.

Some image editing apps have an option New image from clipboard - it does the same as the paste mentioned above though.

Alt + Prnt Scrn will copy just the active window to your clipboard rather than the whole screen.

The built-in Snipping Tool is a useful alternative method if you need screenshots.

Jetta48, Oct 1, 2015
  4. YOU
    You Win User

Dropbox is probably interfering with Windows taking the screenshot. Here are two comments from the Dropbox blog:

1 dude: Wow, enabled it because Dropbox asked me if I wanted to and I thought it might be useful. I would appreciate the actual screenshot being copied onto the clipboard, not the link though. Wanted to disable it in OSX, not very obvious, got into a panic and came here lol. It's under Preference -> Import -> Share screenshots using Dropbox.

Another dude: That doesn't work though. I have it unchecked; I actually said 'no' to begin with. My screenshots no longer go to the clipboard.

5. duckhunt Win User
    Didn't know it would be that simple... Thanks for the tip.

It is kind of strange though, I've been using that Dropbox screenshot save functionality ever since it's been available, and again, this issue only started happening a couple of days ago. It's nice to have that feature, so any ideas on how to make it work without interfering with Print Screen? Would uninstalling/re-installing Dropbox do the trick?

duckhunt, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. PRNTSCR Print Screen does not copy to clipboard - Similar Threads - PRNTSCR Print Screen

2. Copy a doc to clipboard.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy a doc to clipboard.: How do I copy an entire doc not just the visible screen so I could paste to WordPad and save it. I do not want to scroll down to end with snipe app. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copy-a-doc-to-clipboard/388e3dd3-53fc-467d-994c-065e50e12e87
  3. Copy a doc to clipboard.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy a doc to clipboard.: How do I copy an entire doc not just the visible screen so I could paste to WordPad and save it. I do not want to scroll down to end with snipe app. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copy-a-doc-to-clipboard/388e3dd3-53fc-467d-994c-065e50e12e87
  4. Snip only copying to clipboard

Snip only copying to clipboard: When I snip sometimes it only copies to the clipboard not the app. This means that I cannot save it, I have to paste it into Word and then save that, which is lower quality...
  5. how to copy clipboard to paint

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to copy clipboard to paint: how to copy clipboard to paint https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-copy-clipboard-to-paint/abb8e2fb-65b7-4f68-b07b-8f8c80e5547a
  6. how to copy clipboard to paint

how to copy clipboard to paint: how to copy clipboard to paint https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-copy-clipboard-to-paint/abb8e2fb-65b7-4f68-b07b-8f8c80e5547a
  7. Snip & sketch does not copy to clipboard

Snip & sketch does not copy to clipboard: Windows 10 Pro X64 20H2. The snip & sketch runs shft-Win-S and I can select an area, but it does not copy to the clipboard. A "Print SCRN" copies the entire screen to the clipboard as expected. I have: 1. Reset the application 2. uninstalled and reinstalled snip & sketch...
  8. Copying waveform data to clipboard?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Copying waveform data to clipboard?: Hello, This question is in regards to the Windows Clipboard: I remember using generic audio recorders like Sound Recorder and copying waveform audio data orsounds, if you don't understand me, and then pasting them into OpenMPT the software I use to compose my music....
  9. Does hibernate save windows clipboard copy file ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Does hibernate save windows clipboard copy file ?: Does hibernate save windows clipboard copy file ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-hibernate-save-windows-clipboard-copy-file/fde1eb73-048c-4263-91b6-45f9141d8bd8"
  10. prior "copy (to clipboard)" items

prior "copy (to clipboard)" items: question concerning the 'clipboard' function in Windows 10: as has happened many times while making a fairly long response to a post on FB (having suffered the very frustrating experience of completely 'losing' a response i had spent some time crafting); after cursing Mark...