Windows 10: Problem accessing a NAS drive

Discus and support Problem accessing a NAS drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 2 NAS drives and 3 computers in my home network. The NAS drives and one PC are Ethernet-connected to a router/wireless access point; the other 2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pokeefe0001, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Problem accessing a NAS drive

I have 2 NAS drives and 3 computers in my home network. The NAS drives and one PC are Ethernet-connected to a router/wireless access point; the other 2 PCs use wireless connections. All 3 PCs can access one NAS drive with no problem. The drives show up in the Network section of File Explorer, and if I click on the NAS's icon all it's shares are displayed (whether or not the PC has credentials to access the shares). The shares on the other NAS drive can be seen by only 2 of the PCs.

On the failing PC the inaccessible NAS drive shows in File Explorer, but if I click on it I get

Problem accessing a NAS drive [​IMG]

However, on that same PC, Firefox can access the FTP server on the NAS drive

Problem accessing a NAS drive [​IMG]

so Windows obviously has no trouble communicating with the NAS. And Windows must be configured to allow communication with a NAS in general or it could not successfully connect to the other NAS. (Those two screen snips were stored on that working NAS.)

The problematic PC doesn't really have to reach the NAS, but I would like it to, and I'm frustrated that I can't figure this out. Anyone have any suggestions?

BTW, the error popup says I should ask the administrator of the server about this. I would, but I'm not speaking with myself at the moment.

:)

pokeefe0001, Aug 22, 2016
  2. SYBINK Win User

Unable to connect to NAS with Windows 10...? Annoying and Frustrating as he** is being polite...

Hello,

NAS: QNAP TS-2119P II

Firmware: Latest installed

Cloud Drive: WD My Cloud

Firmware: Latest Installed

Now and then us professionals have to bite our lip buckle up and ask for HELP! I have a problem which I have tried to resolve and I cannot get Windows 10 to talk to my NAS and my NAS to talk to Windows 10. But this question has a double edged sword...? Speaking
    metaphorically. My main rig is running the same OS and build and I can access my NAS and my Cloud Drive via Network within Windows 10. The settings are identical for each machine. However main rig can access the NAS and the Cloud but the Surface 3 Pro cannot
    access the same network attached Server (Linux Box) and It is driving me crazy because...

The problem is related to permission... not with my Network nor my NAS regarding permissions as Windows 10 is stating is the cause of the problem. If that was there case, then I wouldn't be able to access this on another machine running an identical OS.
    Windows 10 is stating the cause of the problem is with permissions on my Network or with my NAS. But these are all set correctly and again, Identical to the other machine with the same OS. Okay arguably the two are not similar because one is built-in whereas
    the other is custom built to my spec. But running the same OS and accessing the same NAS and Cloud Drive.

Ever since I started using Windows 10 my access to my NAS has been on an off with different builds of Windows 10. Although W10.10240 on my Microsoft Surface 3 Pro. 10.1066 it was working and now it is on 10.10240 it has stopped again. Although I can access
    the NAS if I map a Network Drive from the NAS. QFinder can see the NAS. But I cannot connect to the File. I think this is specifically related to the Surface 3 Pro and nothing to do with Windows 10.

Any ideas would be deeply appreciated. It's really starting to do my head in because I know my settings are correct. Its the Surface 3 that cannot connect to the NAS or Cloud Drive.

SYBINK, Aug 22, 2016
  3. Cannot see NAS drives after intalling build 10.0.10586

I have seven win 10 machines in my household. After updating 3 of the machines from 10.0.10240 to 10.0.10586 they lost the ability to see all of the NAS drives (2 Dlinks, one Lenovo and one WD My Cloud) in windows explorer. The un-updated machines continue
    to access the NAS drives as before but the updated machines cannot see the NAS drives. Are there any suggestions before I start randomly changing the settings to get NAS access back?

Thanks.

JohnWilcox49, Aug 22, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

Problem accessing a NAS drive

Kbird, Aug 22, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    The Western Digital My Clouds have been an issue for a very long time, way before Windows 10 rolled out.

bro67, Aug 22, 2016
  6. I'll check that out. I'm thoroughly confused about NetBIOS in a Samba environment. I thought with Windows using SMB over IP (TCP and UDP ports 445) that NetBIOS was no longer needed, but I seem to have problems if I disable NetBIOS. Maybe I have it disabled on the problematic PC.

pokeefe0001, Aug 22, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    SAMBA is the technology that is used for connecting to Windows and other network systems. NetBios tells windows machines and Samba on LInux & Unix systems how to know how to communicate.

"NetBIOS was developed in 1983 by Sytek Inc. as an API for software communication over IBM PC Network LAN technology. On PC-Network, as an API alone, NetBIOS relied on proprietary Sytek networking protocols for communication over the wire. Because PC Network only supported up to 80 devices in its most accommodating mode (baseband), NetBIOS was itself designed with limited nodes in mind."

Windows is so tightly wound with old tech, that because Netbios is embedded in the OS, along with their version of Samba, one thing breaks, everything breaks.

bro67, Aug 22, 2016
  8. Kbird Win User

the default in win 10 (default) doesn't seem to work on all pc's from some reason , setting to enabled cured my issues and others.

KB

Kbird, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem accessing a NAS drive - Similar Threads - Problem accessing NAS

2. NAS drive permissions problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    NAS drive permissions problem: So I have a Seagate Central NAS connected to my network which I can access from my laptop. I also have an external drive plugged into the back of it for extra storage. When I open up the network drive on my laptop it comes up 2 folders, "Public" is the main folder for the...
  3. Can't Access my NAS drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Access my NAS drive: I cant connect to my NAS. I had mapped drives that worked fine earlier. now I only get an error message. Long message essentialy to many server connections. What has happend Please advice Regards Anders...
  4. Problem Indexing NAS Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem Indexing NAS Drive in Windows 10: Does anyone know how to Index a network drive in Windows 10? I cannot get the network drive location to show up in the Indexing Options. FYI: I'm looking for a solution that does not require me to store the NAS contents locally. Thank you to anyone who may be able and...
  5. Unable to access NAS Drive secured folder

Unable to access NAS Drive secured folder: Hi, I recently upgraded my Windows 10 to Build 19041. Using NAS EX4100. I added my user "mazhar" in NAS, it is associated with folder "mazhar". User mazhar has full read\write access to folder mazhar. Now after windows upgrade i am able to access Public folder without any...
  6. Accessing files over Network NAS drive

Accessing files over Network NAS drive: I bought a new laptop on Feb 1. It had Windows 10 installed when I got it. I set everything up and installed my personal stuff and set the wifi adapter to "private" in the network and sharing options. Everything was fine. I had direct access to my WD MyCloud NAS storage...
  7. Nas drive

Nas drive: Cannot now access my WD live duo after update to 1809 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nas-drive/229f433c-49bb-4c92-9cdd-40da8b3be53b"
  8. Keep mapped NAS drive sleeping if not accessed

Keep mapped NAS drive sleeping if not accessed: Hi everyone, I have mapped my NAS drive into the Windows File Explorer. Everytime when - my PC is started or waked it up from sleep/hibernate mode, - the save dialog is opened (in the web browser to download some file for example), - and in many another cases I can hear spin...
  9. No Access to NAS Drive

No Access to NAS Drive: Hi Folk, I can see that this seems to be a common problem on here! I have a Lacie cloudbox NAS drive. On WIn7 pro it worked just fine. Windows say the drive in the network group and I could access it like a normal folder. After I did the Win10 upgrade and it initially...
  10. Failure accessing NAS drive

Failure accessing NAS drive: Hello! I wasn't really sure what section to put this in since it could be security and/or network. The problem is I can see my NAS in file explorer and I can ping it fine and I can even access it via FTP but if I try to access it I get the following dialog box. [img]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Problem accessing NAS Drive