Windows 10: Problem accessing Shared Folder from XP. Please Help.

Discus and support Problem accessing Shared Folder from XP. Please Help. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Running Win 10 Anniversary Update on my Desktop, and on my Tablet. Running XP on my Notebook. I can access a shared folder on the XP notebook from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JeffL, Oct 3, 2016.

1. JeffL Win User

Problem accessing Shared Folder from XP. Please Help.

Running Win 10 Anniversary Update on my Desktop, and on my Tablet.
    Running XP on my Notebook.

I can access a shared folder on the XP notebook from the Desktop and the Tablet.
    I can access the shared folder on the Desktop from the Tablet, and the shared folder on the Tablet from the Desktop.

I can access the shared folder on the Tablet from the Notebook (after first being denied access, the entering the user and password into a window that pops up after closing the denied access window).

I cannot access the shared folder on the Desktop from the Notebook. I get a message saying that the shared folder is not accessible. You might ot have permission to use this network resource.

It used to work. I don't know if it stopped working with Windows 10.

Also, where is the equivalent of "My Network Places" in windows 10?

:)

JeffL, Oct 3, 2016

2. weird inconsistancies sharing folders over LAN with other home computers

My old XP can grab files off my recently updated (from 8) Win10 computer but the Win10 can not access the XP at all.

Previously, while as a Win 8 computer, it could access the XP folders and files.

My Raspberry PI can find the Win 10 Homegroup and folder names shared in the Win 10 Homegroup but finds no files in these folders.

All the folder sharing settings on the Win10 appear to be correct. Right up to Advanced Settings, sharing with Everyone and read and write.

I'm a little mystified by these contradictions and fear cancelling everything (coz it was such a pain the establish the xp connection) plus i even wonder if i can clear all sharing permissions, reboot and then establish again.

any ideas on how to proceed?

btw Win10 network trouble shooter finds no problems

i also have a shared network printer that win10 finds, no problem

thanks in advance for any help

ShannonReiner, Oct 3, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Sharing

I have a shared folder on Window 10 Pro pc.

Is there any way to access this folder from a Windows Xp pc?

kdimopoulos, Oct 3, 2016
  4. JeffL Win User

Never mind... I guess. I'm not sure what I did to fix it, but I got it working again, although it does seem to take a long time for the XP Notebook to connect to the network, the login screen is not showing up.

I also found the old "My Network Places" in windows explorer called "Network". I added a shortcut to in on my desktop.

Hang on... That didn't last long. I logged off to test it, and when I logged back on I got the permissions error again *Sad

JeffL, Oct 4, 2016
  5. JeffL Win User
    JeffL, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem accessing Shared Folder from XP. Please Help. - Similar Threads - Problem accessing Shared

2. Win10 Explorer not responding when access to a shared XP folder attempted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 Explorer not responding when access to a shared XP folder attempted: I have an XP PC which I use to hold a data disk for file backup. I don't backup that often, but my last couple of attempts to access the share on the XP machine cause explorer to enter a "Not Responding" state. I can access the Win10 files from the XP machine a get my...
  3. Folder permissions problems, please HELP!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Folder permissions problems, please HELP!: I accidentally denied myself from using one of my folders. When I try to give my rights back it says I can't, because I have no rights. When I changed permissions I changed admin's permissions. So any idea how can I get use it again? submitted by /u/Saksamies [link]...
  4. problem with User Folder is C: please please help

problem with User Folder is C: please please help: so i want to get into to see and edit stuff in my Games and Documents folders, i open it up C: to behold it isnt there. only things are Perf Logs, Program Files, Program Files x86, Windows, and Windows.old. now....this is not what i am used to in a computer only Saved Games...
  5. No access to the shared folder

No access to the shared folder: Hi all, I have an issue with the shared folders. I did share a few folders from my PC, but they are not visible either from my laptop or streamer Dune HD base. I do see that the folders are shared when I check their status in the "Properties". In addition, I do see that the...
  6. share folder and access from tv

share folder and access from tv: hi, i want to share a folder on my network and have access from my tv. i have set the sharing options like on the images below. then i go to the folder and i give access to everyone, but i cant see the folder from the tv. can anyone help me?[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  7. Shared folder not accessible

Shared folder not accessible: I was trying to access a shared folder from my laptop on my PC (Both are running Windows 10) when it told me that he couldn't connect to it. Diagnostics say that there might be something wrong with the DNS-Server. I also tried pinging the PC and it worked perfectly. The...
  8. Shared Folders Access

Shared Folders Access: After the latest update, in File Explorer>Network I can see computers but cannot access the shared folders on one computer. Shared folders on another computer are fully accesible. I am running Windows 10 Pro. I've searched the web and tried fixes with services.msc and...
  9. Shared Folder Access

Shared Folder Access: Hi All, I had a windows 7 machine built to share a folder on my workgroup network. I slowly grew my network and begun getting an error that there was too many simultaneous connections. I was told to upgrade to server 2016 STD so i purchased it and have it installed and...
  10. Shared Folders from External HDD Folders Not Accessible in Android

Shared Folders from External HDD Folders Not Accessible in Android: All of my shared folders from internal HDD are accessible from my android phone via es file explorer (latest version). But all of my shared folders from external HDD Folders visible but NOT accessible! I'm really out of ideas. I have already tried removing workgroup....