Windows 10: Problem adding a POP3 email account

Discus and support Problem adding a POP3 email account in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have just upgraded to Windows 10 but the mail tile won't allow me to add my usual POP3 email account. I have entered all details correctly as in... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by matt havenhand, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Problem adding a POP3 email account

I have just upgraded to Windows 10 but the mail tile won't allow me to add my usual POP3 email account. I have entered all details correctly as in Outlook Express, but it won't sync and then gives me an error code.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

:)

matt havenhand, Aug 9, 2015

2. Receiving Outlook Calendar Invitations

My main email account is a POP3 account which has no calendar associated with it. I receive calendar invitations to this account regularly. I got around the accept invitation problem by forwarding my POP3 email to my Outlook.com account, so now I receive
    my email in both the POP3 email account I've created on the phone and via the forwarded email folder within my Outlook.com account. If I receive any appointment invitations, I just accept them in my Outlook.com account. Then the appointment is added to my
    Outlook.com calendar (which syncs to my phone).

Julie fka profjulie, Aug 9, 2015
  3. n2teeth Win User
    I am trying to send email from a different account/address than what my email account shows on WP8. It works in outlook.com

I have an email account that does not allow for any access except POP3. So I added the account to outlook.com so it will send and receive on behalf of the POP3 account. It also added a folder for that account in outlook.com.

On my WP8, I can see the folder and the emails appear; however, unlike outlook.com I am not able to send from that pop3 account. Inside outlook.com (and outlook 2007/2010 for that matter) I can select a different "account" to send from. I am not seeing
    how to select a different sender account.

Suggestions?

WB

n2teeth, Aug 9, 2015
  4. Problem adding a POP3 email account

Anyone?

Problem adding a POP3 email account [​IMG]

marcosdipaolo, Aug 13, 2015
  5. As an experiment I tried it, no joy.
    I think this is the problem.

It seems very basic as an Email client anyway. Thunderbird has always served my needs . Try it !

Torquemada, Aug 13, 2015
  6. iBawbag Win User
    It does work fine with pop.

It has a problem with 2 step authentication. What is the domain?
    Is your username the same as email address?

iBawbag, Aug 13, 2015
  7. My apologies, got it working but I'd never dream of using it.
    I have to click this

then select either my MS account or my POP account before I can view my emails.

It's horrible, it's like a phone app. Thunderbird for me.

Torquemada, Aug 13, 2015
  8. Problem adding a POP3 email account

I had to for mine to work... uncheck

Torquemada, Aug 13, 2015
  9. I keep getting error 0x80072af9

10. What is the error code?

What is your Mail server?

Post a screen shot of your configuration - BUT.....make sure you remove all personal information, such as your email address.
    Server names are common, port #s are common - just remove your personal info - look twice, no look thrice, sometimes it's on the title bar.

Here's how you can grab a screen shot that shows the issue and attach it to a new post.
    Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

Double check your server names - a common mistake (I do it often) is to type an at sign (@) instead of a period (.)
    Most servers want SSL, some don't though
    and common ports are 465 and 587(or 995) - you provider probably has that information on their web pages.

Setting up eMail is a lot like addressing a letter - you have to get the information correct if you want things to get where they're intended *Wink

Slartybart, Aug 13, 2015
  11. I think that error code means that it can't find the host (No such host is known).

If you post screen shots of your configuration and identify your server, members can better help you solve the issue.

Remember to blank out or remove your eMail address from all screen shots. Look thrice before posting.

Here's how you can grab a screen shot that shows the issue and attach it to a new post.
    Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

Slartybart, Aug 13, 2015
  12. If i change pop3.blablabla.com with the ip adress i don't the error but it keeps syncing and no joy

13. iBawbag Win User

Problem adding a POP3 email account

Remove personal info like email address and name etc. Removing server names has no purpose lol *Smile

iBawbag, Aug 14, 2015
  14. Ok thanks marcosdipaolo,

It looks as though you have your own domain, and you say that the ip address get you further, but still no mail.

I don't see the ports and I can't determine what the host wants without knowing who the host is.
    If you just want o find the eMail settings on the host page and post those here, that would be great.
    Sometimes, it's a little thing - changing port 995 to 587 or requires SSL or does not require SSL.
    It's all in the definition.

What eMail did you previously use? I used Windows Essentials Mail (weMail aka WLM).

I've abandoned Win10 mail and installed weMail - much better control over configuration and messages.
    but, you have to turn on .NET 3.5 to get it to install.

Slartybart, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Problem adding a POP3 email account

1. Problem adding a POP3 email account - Similar Threads - Problem adding POP3

2. Issues adding adding microsoft account to email & accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues adding adding microsoft account to email & accounts: Some programs requiring microsoft account signin were not working so I created a local account, signed out and removed my microsoft account. Now when I try to add any microsoft account, I get this error....
  3. Issues adding adding microsoft account to email & accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues adding adding microsoft account to email & accounts: Some programs requiring microsoft account signin were not working so I created a local account, signed out and removed my microsoft account. Now when I try to add any microsoft account, I get this error....
  4. Authenticate IMAP, POP3, and SMTP for an email account that has already been added.

Authenticate IMAP, POP3, and SMTP for an email account that has already been added.: Hi folks. I have several functioning email addresses in Windows Mail. Yesterday I created a new one- a webmail address- in BlueHost. I then introduced it to Windows Mail.I clicked “Manage Accounts” and “Add Account.” Then a long list came up.I added the basic details. But...
  5. Outlook 2013 + POP3 email account backup/sync

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2013 + POP3 email account backup/sync: Hello, I have a POP3 email account on an old computer with Windows 7 and Outlook 2013. There are about 2000 emails on the inbox, 2000 emails in the deleted items folder and 100 drafts. Now I have a new computer with Windows 10 in the office where I want to backup all the...
  6. pop3 email on Windows10

in Windows 10 Customization
    pop3 email on Windows10: I tried all settings on Windows 10 mail to add a POP3 email account on windows 10 mail. The email account works fine on windows 7 live mail. Does anyone have a solution to POP3 email account settings other than the standard published Microsoft settings?...
  7. POP3 email password

POP3 email password: I have two POP3 emails from a local provider. I have Windows 10. One email works properly but Mail keeps changing the password on the second email. To get mail, I have to delete and then re-install the second email, mail arrives, then Mail changes the password again. Why?...
  8. POP3 Email Account on Mail App - Can't add Folders

POP3 Email Account on Mail App - Can't add Folders: I have seen this question but no answers. This is hard to believe - that microsoft doesn't enable the Mail App to be fully functional for POP3 accounts. I need to be able to set up folders within my email account to organize my work. There is no "+" sign by accounts or...
  9. POP3 email clients

POP3 email clients: I have Windows 10 Pro and I'm desperately trying to find a program that actually works using POP3. I've tried Yandex, Mailbird, (which I have paid full price for in 2016 and 2018 when it said POP3 with NO constructive help from them to get it to work) Thunderbird but have...
  10. Outlook 2016 - Exchange Server and POP3 email accounts

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2016 - Exchange Server and POP3 email accounts: I use Outlook 2016 for all my email requirements. One BTinternet.com email address One Outlook.com email address Previously had above two email accounts sending and receiving from the same PST file each using POP3. Wanted to change the Outlook.com to IMAP with my...