Windows 10: Problem booting from Win 10 USB Flash Drive made per tutorial

Discus and support Problem booting from Win 10 USB Flash Drive made per tutorial in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I used the "How to Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10" tutorial with the Rufus method to make a USB drive that could be used for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by highstream, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Problem booting from Win 10 USB Flash Drive made per tutorial

I used the "How to Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10" tutorial with the Rufus method to make a USB drive that could be used for repairing Win 10 1607 as needed. The problem is that the computer didn't recognize it. My system drive is GPT/UEFI/NTFS and so that's the what I used, along with a recent Win 10 ISO image. In BIOS, I set the first boot option to the USB UEFI drive, saved and the system rebooted. The USB drive's light went on for a moment and that was the end of it; startup went straight through to Windows start up (which hung). The board is an ASRock Z97 Xtreme6 and the BIOS is up to date (2.70). OTOH, a Windows Repair CD starts up fine. What am I missing? Thanks,

:)

highstream, Feb 1, 2017
  2. Shawn Brink, Feb 1, 2017
  3. Stop code inaccessible boot

Hello,

On a working computer, create an Installation media of Windows 10 that allows you to repair existing Windows Installation.

Create a USB Flash Drive

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create...

Boot from the USB Flash drive-Make sure you have disabled Secure boot/Fast boot:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/21756-boot-...

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/21284-enabl...

Then open Advanced Startup options after the computer boots from USB-Click Repair your computer.

Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 1, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Problem booting from Win 10 USB Flash Drive made per tutorial

Hello highstream, *Smile

You wouldn't want to set the USB as the first item in the boot priority list. Instead, you should leave the Windows boot drive set first. This is because with the USB set first, the system will try to boot from the USB again after a restart instead of continuing with Windows Setup.

You might set that back, and see if using the method below to boot from the USB may work better.

USB Drive - Boot from in Windows 10

In addition, did you use the exact settings in the tutorial for your UEFI Windows with Rufus?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...html#option2s6

Brink, Feb 1, 2017
  5. I don't think the boot order would matter because after repair I always reset the boot order when it restarts.

The only differences in my Rufus setup and yours other than a larger default cluster size was formatting with NTFS instead of FAT32. Is that crucial?

Btw, why or how would I end up with three mentions of Windows Boot Manager in the BIOS Boot list (started in Win 8.1 I think)? Only one seems to work without fail, one most of the time and one I've never tried.

highstream, Feb 1, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yeah, you'll want it to be FAT32 to be able to boot a USB from a UEFI installation.

Brink, Feb 1, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Another victim of Rufus and it's too complicated settings. I don't recommend anybody use Rufus to create a Windows 10 USB flash drive.

Prepare the flash drive as follows:
    Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

At step 9, make sure to use fat32 as stated in the "important" box:
    9. To format the partition, type format fs=fat32 quick, and then click ENTER

For step 12, mount the Windows ISO file you downloaded and copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive and you're done. You have a flash drive that will boot both legacy BIOS and UEFI.

NavyLCDR, Feb 1, 2017
  8. spunk Win User

Rufus is very easy to use and not complicated at all. You do have to make one change in Rufus if you are booting into a UEFI Bios, under Partition Scheme, Select GPT rather then the default MBR, other then that it goes very easily. Go to Option #2 in this link https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option2 to see how
    Then with the USB Flash drive in the troubled computer, boot into the Bios, go to the Security tab, Disable SafeBoot or change it to Setup Mode, Save and Exit. Go to the Boot tab, under the Hard Drive Group your USB flash drive should be located, or it may just be USB Device, move this to First Boot Device. Save and Exit. When you reboot the computer with the Flash Drive in, you should see the message, Press Any Key to Boot From USB.

spunk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem booting from Win 10 USB Flash Drive made per tutorial - Similar Threads - Problem booting USB

2. problem with usb flash drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problem with usb flash drives: Hello, it's been since this morning that I've been experiencing this problem with my pc. After taking a USB stick from a friend to get some files, I started to notice a strange behavior from the pc. Every time I insert a USB stick, two things happen: first, the device window...
  3. problem with usb flash drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem with usb flash drives: Hello, it's been since this morning that I've been experiencing this problem with my pc. After taking a USB stick from a friend to get some files, I started to notice a strange behavior from the pc. Every time I insert a USB stick, two things happen: first, the device window...
  4. Booting Windows 10 with USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting Windows 10 with USB Flash Drive: So I've downloaded the installation Media for my PC which is stuck in a Windows RE loop and now I dont know what to do from this point. How would I use the Flash drive to boot Windows 10 into my PC?...
  5. Booting Windows 10 with USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Booting Windows 10 with USB Flash Drive: So I've downloaded the installation Media for my PC which is stuck in a Windows RE loop and now I dont know what to do from this point. How would I use the Flash drive to boot Windows 10 into my PC?...
  6. USB flash drives problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB flash drives problem: Here's an odd one! I put a flash drive in the PC today and the files on it showed as info I know that's not on it. In fact, it contains Windows install files I made just the other day and then used it for a clean installation. Then I formatted the drive but it still showed...
  7. USB Flash Drive Problem... or ?

USB Flash Drive Problem... or ?: I picked up a Hama brand 128Gb USB2 drive a couple of weeks ago from a reputable component supplier. The drive was retail packaged and I have no doubts over its authenticity. When used on my Dell i5 laptop running W10 insider builds I find the drive freezes when transferring...
  8. Unable to boot from USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to boot from USB Flash Drive: I just tried to create a bootable USB stick for Macrium Reflect on my Dell AIO. The creation went smoothly as did the boot. When I took that stick to my Acer Laptop and tried to boot it I got a message saying, "Remove disk or other menu" followed by "Press any key to...
  9. USB Flash Drive Problem

USB Flash Drive Problem: Hey guys, So, I have this 8 GB USB Flash Drive which is completely empty, no hidden files/folders, nothing. But it says that around 1 GB is used - Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet Why is that? Can I free up that memory? Not that it's very important, but I...
  10. USB flash drive problem

USB flash drive problem: I purchased a flash drive to use as ReadyBoost, and I had it set and know it was working. I removed and when I plugged it back in, went to Properties/ReadyBoost tab it shows the error message attached. The hub I an using is 2.0 so I don't know what this means. [img] 103195