Windows 10: Problem booting Windows Ten without my other hard drive.

Discus and support Problem booting Windows Ten without my other hard drive. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have three hard drives in my computer. 2. Main 1TB WDCaviar Black with windows 10 installed 0. secondary useless (as of right now) 1TB generic HDD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sparkie5571, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Problem booting Windows Ten without my other hard drive.

I have three hard drives in my computer.
    2. Main 1TB WDCaviar Black with windows 10 installed
    0. secondary useless (as of right now) 1TB generic HDD
    1. SSD with Mac installed

if I remove drive #1 I can still boot to drive #2 but if I remove drive #0 (with nothing on it), I cant boot to my dive #2

I read somewhere that the boot partition gets installed to wherever 'disk0' is.
    maybe that will help?

Problem booting Windows Ten without my other hard drive. [​IMG]

:)

sparkie5571, Nov 10, 2016

2. Black screen with blinking underline.

Never tire of this, never quit til problem is solved.

You'd use one or the other, but not both. MCT formats the stick for you. Just delete it's partition first in Disk mgmt and recreate it..

Again, nothing I've ever seen in tens of thousands of cases but problems with RAID so I would try another hard drive because it's entirely likely the RAID is blocking the media boot.

Otherwise reset the BIOS to defaults, set SATA controller to AHCI, Hard drive first to boot. Trigger media boot with Boot Menu key.

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutor...

If nothing else works then install WIndows 10 to a blank hard drive in another PC and move it to the problem PC to install alone, Windows 10 will usually start on different hardware and swap out all drivers. Then you can update BIOS.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 10, 2016
  3. CarloDid Win User
    Re-partition harddrive from with in windows 10

I reinstall windows 7, partition hard drive even managed to keep seven and ten for duel booting. seeing how edge won't let me in secure e-mail from work and key board doesn't work in ten but works fine in seven. Normal re-partition didn't work from ten...
    had to work from installation disk.

CarloDid, Nov 10, 2016
  4. skcusime Win User

Problem booting Windows Ten without my other hard drive.

From the screen shot you posted, we can't see which partition is Active, but if you can't boot with Disk 0 disconnected, it would seem that the first partition on 0 is active. If you highlight this partition in Disc Management, you'll be able to see.
    If this is correct, you'll need to mark it Inactive, and make Disk 2 (C) active.
    You can asssign drive letters to the large partitions on Disks 0 and 1 by right clicking them, and make them usable.
    If you plan to keep Disk 0 in the computer, there's no need to change the active partition. Oh, and the active partition doesn't have to be on Disk 0

skcusime, Nov 11, 2016
  5. EdTittel Win User
    There's an interesting SuperUser post with some help via the Windows Management Instrument Command environment, aka WMIC. Here are some commands/replies that others will find useful in chasing down active partition(s):

Problem booting Windows Ten without my other hard drive. [​IMG]

The first string is the most compact, but shows only active partitions, the second shows all partitions and labels active ones as TRUE.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 11, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    @sparkie5571
    Your Windows was installed using GPT partition scheme and your boot code is in EFI system partition of Disk 0. Without this partition, Windows won't boot. You would need to move this partition to Disk 2.
    @skcusime
    Since Windows was installed using GPT partition scheme. There's no such thing as Active or Inactive. EFI firmware will look at the EFI System partition for boot code (BCD). Active and Inactive business is only applied if you install Windows using MBR partition scheme.

topgundcp, Nov 11, 2016
  7. EdTittel Win User
    Yes, that's correct. Sorry I didn't clear that up myself. That's why the WMIC call uses BootPartition as the query parameter. The runtime environment must still point to some partition where booting gets going, whether MBR or GPT.
    Good job, TopGunDCP!
    Thanks,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 11, 2016
  8. spunk Win User

When Windows was installed on Disk 0 it created a small hidden partition with no drive letter in the front of the C: drive called System Partition. . This includes the EFI Boot File, if you did not remove this drive when you installed Windows on Disk 2, Windows would use the hidden System Partition for the boot information for Disk0 and for Disk2. If you remove Disk 0, Then you removed the Boot file.
    I would copy any files you want off of Disk2 and then unplug Disk 0 or use the SATA cable for Disk 0 on Disk2. Boot off of the Windows install media and in Drive Options delete all the partitions off of Disk0 or the only Windows drive. Then go next, Windows will automatically create the partitions it needs and format them NTFS and while installing Windows.

spunk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem booting Windows Ten without my other hard drive. - Similar Threads - Problem booting Ten

2. My windows cannot boot whenever I removed other hard drive ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My windows cannot boot whenever I removed other hard drive ?: Whenever i removed this hard drive Disk D, I cannot boot into windows an operating system wasn't found when booting. Reconnecting that hard drive will make me boot into windows again. The problem is my windows operating system is on my SSD Disk C. Can anyone help me. Need to...
  3. My windows cannot boot whenever I removed other hard drive ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My windows cannot boot whenever I removed other hard drive ?: Whenever i removed this hard drive Disk D, I cannot boot into windows an operating system wasn't found when booting. Reconnecting that hard drive will make me boot into windows again. The problem is my windows operating system is on my SSD Disk C. Can anyone help me. Need to...
  4. One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not: I have Windows installed on two hard drives, one is an HDD I don’t really use anymore, and the other is a 2 TB SSD that I use for most of my computer needs.Recently and inexplicably I woke up to find my computer bluescreened and telling me that Windows had failed to...
  5. One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not: I have Windows installed on two hard drives, one is an HDD I don’t really use anymore, and the other is a 2 TB SSD that I use for most of my computer needs.Recently and inexplicably I woke up to find my computer bluescreened and telling me that Windows had failed to...
  6. One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Hard drive problem with Windows Booting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive problem with Windows Booting: Windows on my laptop can't boot and the technician said that Hard Drive2TB has gone wrong. But ubuntu bootson same hard drive and works perfectly fine. Finally I had to replace my hard drive. What actually happened? Is it possible to use some part of the hard drive for...
  8. two hard drives boot problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    two hard drives boot problem: I have 1 250gb ssd drive with windows 7 and 1 500gb ssd drive with windows 10. Both boot up ok on their own, but if I connect both together screen shows attempting to repair drive c: then blue screen attempting repairs then failed to repair with no error code. Any ideas...
  9. Fast Boot without lock hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast Boot without lock hard drive: Can someone tell me how to make Fast Boot enabled on dual boot machine, with selection to not lock hard drive, since I would like to make it possible to have screen with dual boot options on every start up. Now, If I select Fast Boot enabled, it locks hard drive and there is...
  10. Dual Boot without access to other drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot without access to other drive?: Hi What I would like to do is install two instances of windows 10 on one machine, each on its own ssd hard drive with a normal hard drive for data etc. However I do not want them to be able to access / see the other operating systems drive, thus creating two separate...