Windows 10: problem creating system image

Discus and support problem creating system image in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; i did a clean install of windows 10 and now i am trying to do a system image and save it to usb but windows keeps saying this is not a valid location,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by tredstone, Dec 18, 2015.

1. tredstone Win User

problem creating system image

i did a clean install of windows 10 and now i am trying to do a system image and save it to usb but windows keeps saying this is not a valid location, my usb is a sandisk 64 gb formatted to the correct format that windows asks me to do .i have tried to do create a image on two usb flash drives but i keep getting the same error from windows that this is not a valid location . can anyone help me with this problem ?

:)

tredstone, Dec 18, 2015

2. Creating a System Image

at my age I'm not so sure about a "great (technical) learning experience. If I do nothing will I be OK?

You're the best, thanks

littleneilnpl, Dec 18, 2015
  3. Creating a System Image

My usual backup/restore software is Acronis True Image. Three days ago the software failed during a backup attempt because it couldn't read the disk (bad clusters). Dell diagnostics confirmed the hard drive was bad which started this whole journey for
    me. That led to a call to Microsoft where a tech was
    able to successfully create an image for me. And that led to the installation of a new HDD and a fresh install of Windows 10. And you know the rest. You two are my hero's. The PC is back to the way it was. Thank you so much. I'll send the screenshot
    tomorrow.

littleneilnpl, Dec 18, 2015
  4. Steve C Win User

You might have more luck using Macrium Reflect which many people on this forum recommend for system backups.

Steve C, Dec 18, 2015
  5. davidhk Win User
    I have been doing system image backup once a month for over 2 years, since Windows 7 to now Windows 10, on 2 laptops.
    I ALWAYS use the built-in system image backup and it never fails me. Not even ONCE.
    The only difference is : I use an external hard drive instead of an USB drive.

davidhk, Dec 18, 2015
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

This should do the trick although I have been successful in creating a system image to a USB flash drive without it too: (I just can't remember how I did it....)

Source: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7ea5fca?auth=1

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 18, 2015
  7. Word Man Win User
    That's a nice one.

Although, I'm a diehard Macrium Reflect fan, once you get over that hump of the USB flash drive issue (and I acknowledge that external USB HDD is likely more reliable/suitable as davidhk does), a particular user can be much better off with native imaging as opposed to 3rd party imaging. Depending on tredstone's individual needs and preferences, there's something to be said for either means of imaging.

Word Man, Dec 18, 2015
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

+1000 *Wink

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. problem creating system image - Similar Threads - problem creating system

2. create system image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    create system image: just updated to win 8.1 difficulty in find how to do a system image for future recovery. What am I missing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-system-image/97d4d168-ad0f-4b73-9126-deada0a14ede
  3. create system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    create system image: I just got a new HP laptop with Windows 10 installed. How do i create system image or repair disc so i can reload Windows if needed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-system-image/85580817-ed8a-415b-8225-143159961fff
  4. Create system image

Create system image: I have heard roumors that the function "Create System Image" that is included in Windows 10 will be removed soon. Can anyone tell me when Microsoft intends to remove this function from Windows 10? Kind regards...
  5. System Image Creating Problem.

System Image Creating Problem.: I want to create a system image of my "C" drive for backup purposes, but when I use the built-in backup tool, my "G" drive is also selected and I can't uncheck it. My "G" drive is filled with videos, stuff, games and I really do not need that backed up How to uncheck "G"...
  6. Create System Image

Create System Image: Hi there I am trying to create a system image of my primary drive. This includes 3 partitions: EFI System Partition, System C: and a hidden recovery partition. The problem is that in drives selection page I don't see the recovery partition as you can see in the photo....
  7. windows 10 creating system image problem

windows 10 creating system image problem: Hello, I am planning on upgrading my primary 128gb ssd to a bigger 500 gb ssdwhich is also faster. I don't want to have to install windows and all my stuff again and configure everything so I tried to create a disk image on an external hdd that I have so that I could recover...
  8. Creating a system image

Creating a system image: Hi, I wanted to create a system image . I have some screen shots for the issue.Note that this has not been an issue before 2004 version. As you can see in the screen shots "Back up and Restore" includes D: in system but in the computer management it is not a...
  9. CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE

CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE: Trying to create a system image for my Windows 10 desktop to a usb 3.0 flash drive formatted for NTFS as required. Receiving an error message "the drive is not a valid backup location". Can anyone help?...
  10. Problems creating Windows system image backups

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Problems creating Windows system image backups: I've been trying to create system image backups using the Windows backup utility. (A waste of time, perhaps, since I have Acronis TI 2015 that seems to work without any problem, but I consider this part of getting familiar with Windows 10.) The backup creation worked fine...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. problem with creating system image