Windows 10: Problem doing a Repair Install

Discus and support Problem doing a Repair Install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In the beginning of performing a Repair Install, I ran into a problem which stopped me from proceeding. This window has a message on the bottom which I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Nisko, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Nisko Win User

Problem doing a Repair Install

In the beginning of performing a Repair Install, I ran into a problem which stopped me from proceeding. This window has a message on the bottom which I don't understand. Could someone please tell me what I did wrong and how to fix it? To perform the repair install, I booted into my Windows which has the Anniversary Update installed. The Windows 10 installation media was created using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool. I would like to keep all my data, apps, etc. and the message at the bottom of this window told me I could not choose that option. Thank you...........
    Attachment 141786

:)

Nisko, Jun 29, 2017

2. Problem Doing Windows 10 Install (ReInstall) - "Repair Upgarde"

Hi Bill,

Sometimes an application or driver might interrupt the flow. Moreover problem with User Profile also causes this kind of issue. As suggested by

Andre Da Costa
    try to disable any third party antivirus software running in your PC temporarily.

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have
    to temporarily disable it for any purpose, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done.

If in case problem still persist, then take your PC into Clean Boot state and then perform a
    repair In-place upgrade. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or
    when you run a program. Follow the below mentioned steps to perform Clean Boot:

a. Press Windows Key , type
    msconfig in the search box, and hit Enter.

b. On the Services tab of the
    System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the
    Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click
    Disable all.

c. On the Startup tab of the
    System Configuration dialog box, tap or click
    Open Task Manager

d. On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click
    Disable.

e. Close Task Manager.

f. On the Startup tab of the
    System Configuration dialog box, tap or click
    OK
    , and then restart the computer. Once you reboot your PC, try to initiate the process and see if it makes any difference.

Refer the below article on "How to Perform Clean Boot". As the article is designed for Windows 8.1, Windows 8 and Windows 7. Unlike launching
    step for 'System Configuration', options and steps to Clean Boot are same for Windows 10.

Note: After you finish troubleshooting, refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" from the same article.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jun 29, 2017
  3. Problem Doing Windows 10 Install (ReInstall) - "Repair Upgarde"

A Repair Upgrade is not booted. Only a
    Clean Install Windows 10 Upgrade

is booted from media.

Follow these steps
    How to: perform a repair upgrade using the Windows 10 ISO file - Microsoft Community

You might also first try to work through the
    Windows 10 Install Integrity Checklist

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jun 29, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Let's see if this will give us information to troubleshoot:

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste these commands:

1) winver (in the pop up about windows view the windows version and build and post into the thread)

2) sfc /scannow

3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

4) dism /online /get-intl

5) chkdsk /scan

When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on copy > paste into the thread

6) perform windows updates and post any failed KB# and error into the thread.

zbook, Jun 29, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    You can't keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps because your current version of Windows might
    be installed in an unsupported directory.

This is a really good example of an appallingly conceived and unhelpful error message.

1. This can occur because some change to one or more default paths Windows uses has been made.

A typical one years ago might have been
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change...ectory-windows
    - this is not a supported change and one which very few people use.

- I suspect it may occur if you have changed the default location of where new universal apps are installed, but I'm not sure..

2. You may simply not have enough spare space on your disk:
    What is going on??? : Windows10

3. Another possibility is that the iso/medium you are using for the upgrade is not the same version as your installed OS. It also has to be the same base language and 'bitness' - x32, x64.
    You cant keep Windows settings, personal files and apps...

Are you using an old iso/bootable USB flash drive- and subsequently upgraded to the Creator's build, for example?

Example:
    current version of windows might be installed on an unsupported - Microsoft Community

dalchina, Jun 29, 2017
  6. Bastet Win User
    I wonder if it's due to you still being on the Anniversary edition when the Media creation tool will download the creators update.

Bastet, Jun 29, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    No, that would simply attempt to upgrade if the OP's system build was the Anniversary build. The problem would arise if an older or non-matching version were used as the upgrade/repair source.

dalchina, Jun 29, 2017
  8. Bastet Win User

Thanks for the clarification dalchina.

Bastet, Jun 29, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jun 29, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    @NavyLCDR - unfortunately the text of this message is completely misleading. Regard it merely as a code, requiring interpretation.

dalchina, Jun 29, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    And don't you agree that seeing the partition layout with free space indicated would not be a step towards interpreting the code?

NavyLCDR, Jun 29, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    My point 2 in #3.. just one possibility.. yes, indeed.

dalchina, Jun 29, 2017
  13. Nisko Win User

Thank you all for the interest in helping me solve this problem. I will work on providing more information and screenshots later today (ET). Besides what you've mentioned above, What other information do you require? I'll put it all together in one post if I can.

Nisko, Jun 29, 2017
  14. zbook New Member
    The default language on the computer must match the language on the iso. Dalchina posted the Microsoft technet link which discusses this language issue. Step 4) dism /online /get-intl will display the language on the computer.

zbook, Jun 29, 2017
  15. Nisko Win User
    The language I use is English (USA).

Nisko, Jun 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Problem doing a Repair Install - Similar Threads - Problem doing Repair

2. auto repair problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    auto repair problem: I have a problem when I turn on the computer, the phrase “auto repair” appears every time, even though I formatted the computer via a USB flash drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-repair-problem/0cb8ba79-5e0b-4a00-be7d-250e12bf5bc7
  3. Startup repair problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Startup repair problem: Please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/startup-repair-problem/5a73fc9c-3a2c-4e40-a553-325711376418
  4. Automatic Repair Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Repair Problem: i tried all this way startup settings startup repair command from uninstall update but i didn't get any solutionI watch some videos related to this topic on YouTube how can I fix this problem but I didn't find any solution...
  5. Automatic Repair Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic Repair Problem: i tried all this way startup settings startup repair command from uninstall update but i didn't get any solutionI watch some videos related to this topic on YouTube how can I fix this problem but I didn't find any solution...
  6. Automatic Repair Problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Repair Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Repair Install: Hey all, I want to repair install windows 10. So I download the .iso file and mounted it up in a USB Flash Drive. I had chosen a windows 10 20H2 version. So if i repair install Windows 10 through that USB Flash drive, will it delete any personal files in the partitions...
  8. Repair Install

Repair Install: If you do a repair install of Windows 10 Pro will it keep your FireFox or do you have to reinstall FireFox? I'm using Windows 10 Pro version 1909 OS Build 18363.900 158395
  9. Install/Repair ?

Install/Repair ?: If I'm going to do a Rep/Inst on a fairly new W-10 Home, with 1909 on it, what iso, and where, can I use. Seems to me I need the same Version??? 151355
  10. Problems with Repair/Install

Problems with Repair/Install: I'm trying to do a repair/install but am running into some problems I don't know how to handle. I originally asked about this a couple of weeks back in this thread: Repair/Install question - Windows 10 Forums and now finally have some time to do the repair/install. I...