Windows 10: Problem: freeze on shut down and win update

Discus and support Problem: freeze on shut down and win update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi - non-tech guy here trying to figure out what is causing an irregular freezing on "stopping services" and consistent freezing on windows fall... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bbawt, Nov 24, 2017.

1. bbawt Win User

Problem: freeze on shut down and win update

Hi - non-tech guy here trying to figure out what is causing an irregular freezing on "stopping services" and consistent freezing on windows fall creators update (forcing going back to previous windows version). Summary:
    For the last few months, the computer would freeze on shut down at the "stopping services" part. Had to manually hold power to shut down. Happening about 70% of the time. Here is what I tried:
    - turn off fast startup
    - manually update all drivers
    - update all drivers using Driver Easy
    - disconnect all peripherals
    - uninstalled virus software
    - uninstalled chrome (when uninstalling I use Revo Uninstaller to get all reg entries etc.)
    - manually stopped all non-microsoft services that allowed
    - switched from Intel HD graphics to Windows basic graphics
    - checked for software conflicts from recent installations
    - Intel Management Engine Interface...selected uninstall device, then delete driver

None of this worked. When I try to update Windows to 1709, a couple of things happen. The first reboot freezes on stopping services and I can manually shutdown and restart, and update continues on, but after that I get 70 or 80% into the update and the screen goes black and everything freezes, or the computer just freezes on the blue update screen. Manually restarting then just brings up recovery and I'm back to the previous version of windows.

Any ideas? Happy to post any reports if you can point me to how to do that. Thanks.

:)

bbawt, Nov 24, 2017
  2. bird 101 Win User

freeze ups on wind.10

Hi guys/gals, Having a problem almost everyday with a freeze up on win 10. It`s solved only by shut down manually. Can u please give any insight into this ? Thanks a bunch.R.

bird 101, Nov 24, 2017
  3. Sanwin2 Win User
    Win 10 closing and open programs

In my experience both Win 7 and Win 10 work the same way.

When you tell Windows to shut down it tells any open programs to shut down. Any that are slow(ish) shutting down are shown on the screen as you describe. As they shut down they are removed from the screen. If there are none that refuse to shut down then
    windows continues the shutdown sequence, as you describe for Win 10.

Any that fail to shut down cause Windows to pause the shutdown sequence and display the problem programs to you - as you describe Win 7 doing and as my Win 10 did yesterday evening when doing the monthly updates.

Sanwin2, Nov 24, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Those using the websites that update drivers don't know what they are getting.
    Over time we see many computers with freezing, BSOD, or other problems in the BSOD forum.
    We recommend uninstalling all drivers from these websites.
    If it is unclear which drivers were installed from these websites clean installs are useful to start with a fresh operating system environment.
    This is a log collector that will automatically collect: msinfo32, dxdiag, mini dumps, installed, uninstalled, hosts, drivers, event viewer log, etc.
    Please run the DM log collector and post a zip into the thread for troubleshooting:
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

Please update the system specs in the "My Computer" section:
    How To Fill Out Your System Specs
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums General Tips Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Include PSU. cooler, case, peripherals and anything attached to the computer by wired or wireless (mouse, keyboard, headset, printer, xbox, etc.)

zbook, Nov 24, 2017
  5. TairikuOkami, Nov 24, 2017
  6. bbawt Win User
    BAWT-11_25_2017_134332_01.zip Here is the report

bbawt, Nov 25, 2017
  7. bbawt Win User
    I'll try the Pastebin next

bbawt, Nov 25, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

The logs displayed numerous crashes.
    There were problems with the crash dumps so there were no bugchecks.
    There were problems with the drive including bad blocks, paging errors, possible corruption, and repetitive chkdsk repair prompts

Perform the fooolwing steps:
    1) open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    2) sfc /scannow
    3) dism /online /cleanup-iamge /restorehealth
    4) chkdsk /x /f /r C: (run this chkdsk command on all drives and change C: t the applicable drive letter)
    This may take many hours so plan to run overnight
    Use the information in this link to find the chkdsk results in the event viewer:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

5) Run HDTune: (on all drives)
    HD Tune website
    to check the health,
    scan for errors, no quick scan but full scan
    run a benchmark.
    It may take some time, but please take the time you need to perform it properly.
    When above is done please make screenshots of the following
    the health,
    the error scan,
    the benchmark incl. following
    transfer rate,
    access time,
    burst rate,
    cpu usage.
    Take Screenshot in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

6) In the left lower corner search type: system > open system control panel > on the left pane click advanced system settings > on the advanced tab in startup and recovery click settings > post an image into the thread
    7) In the left lower corner search type: clean > open disk cleanup > scroll through the rows and post images into the thread
    8) download and install whocrashed
    9) above analyze click on tools > crash dump test > type: ACCEPT
    10) click analyze > post the results into the thread
    11) run the DM log collector after the above dump and post a zip into the thread.
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

12) uninstall bitdefender using the bitdefender uninstall tool: Uninstall Bitdefender
    13) reinstall bitdefender
    14) update all of the boot-start drivers that had failed to load except for bitdefender

15) The BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0509, 08/29/2012
    Update the BIOS 509 > 604
    CM6340 Driver & Tools| Tower PCs | ASUS

Code: Event[21717]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs Date: 2017-09-28T07:55:09.891 Event ID: 140 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: Bawt Description: The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: S:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume7.(A device which does not exist was specified.)[/quote] Code: Event[18895]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs Date: 2017-09-08T21:51:46.357 Event ID: 140 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Bawt Description: The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: G:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume8.(An operation was attempted to a volume after it was dismounted.)[/quote] Code: Event[13532]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs Date: 2017-07-24T21:38:30.601 Event ID: 140 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Bawt Description: The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: S:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume7.(A device which does not exist was specified.)[/quote] Code: Event[20007]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs Date: 2017-09-15T12:55:34.588 Event ID: 98 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: Bawt Description: Volume G: (\Device\HarddiskVolume7) needs to be taken offline to perform a Full Chkdsk. Please run "CHKDSK /F" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive:>" locally or remotely via PowerShell.[/quote] Code: Event[20343]: Log Name: System Source: Disk Date: 2017-09-18T09:52:26.322 Event ID: 7 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Bawt Description: The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.[/quote] Code: Event[33836]: Log Name: System Source: Disk Date: 2017-11-24T21:19:58.141 Event ID: 7 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Bawt Description: The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.[/quote] Code: Event[13526]: Log Name: System Source: Disk Date: 2017-07-24T21:38:30.601 Event ID: 51 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Bawt Description: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 during a paging operation.Event[13527]: Log Name: System Source: Disk Date: 2017-07-24T21:38:30.601 Event ID: 51 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Bawt Description: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 during a paging operation.Event[13528]: Log Name: System Source: Disk Date: 2017-07-24T21:38:30.601 Event ID: 51 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Bawt Description: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 during a paging operation.Event[13529]: Log Name: System Source: Disk Date: 2017-07-24T21:38:30.601 Event ID: 51 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Bawt Description: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 during a paging operation.Event[13530]: Log Name: System Source: Disk Date: 2017-07-24T21:38:30.601 Event ID: 51 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Bawt Description: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 during a paging operation.Event[13531]: Log Name: System Source: Disk Date: 2017-07-24T21:38:30.601 Event ID: 51 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Bawt Description: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 during a paging operation.[/quote] Code: Event[34019]: Log Name: System Source: volmgr Date: 2017-11-25T11:46:44.003 Event ID: 46 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Bawt Description: Crash dump initialization failed![/quote]
    AsIO.sys Asus PCProbe Utility Official Support | ASUS Global

AsUpIO.sys ASUS hardware monitoring software related http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us
    avc3.sys BitDefender Active Virus Control filter driver Support: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/consumer.html
    Downloads: Download Antivirus Software - Bitdefender Downloads
    bdfwfpf.sys Bit Defender Support: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/consumer.html
    Downloads: Download Antivirus Software - Bitdefender Downloads
    gzflt.sys BitDefender Gonzales FileSystem Driver Support: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/consumer.html
    Download: Download Antivirus Software - Bitdefender Downloads
    truecrypt.sys TrueCrypt driver TrueCrypt
    veracrypt.sys VeraCrypt Driver Download - IDRIX: Cryptography and IT Security Experts

Support - Contact Us - IDRIX: Cryptography and IT Security Experts

zbook, Nov 25, 2017
  9. bbawt Win User
    Here is some data and screenshots...not everything in your list (thank you by the way, very extensive set of things to try) as I ran out of time. I'll finish it in a few days.
    Screenshots:
    HD Tune 1-3 is HD Tune results
    DC1-3 is Diskcheck utility
    winit.jpg and chkdsk.jpg are from the event viewers
    DCU1-5 are the screenshots of the disk clean utility
    startup and recovery.jpg is settings
    new zip file from dm_log_collector
    temptext.jpg was on desktop after zip completed.

Bios was updated
    sfc, dism, chkdsk completed

Not done: whocrashed

Bitdefender uninstalled

"update all of the boot-start drivers that hadfailed to load except for bitdefender" Not sure how this is done.BAWT-11_26_2017_214128_10.zip

Problem: freeze on shut down and win update [​IMG]

bbawt, Nov 26, 2017
  10. zbook New Member
    There are problems with the drive.
    The red areas on HD Tune display bad blocks or damaged areas.
    The yellow highlighted areas are areas of concern even though displayed as ok.
    The chkdsk /x /f /r found drive files problems and corrected error in the bitmap.

Make a backup image of the drive using Macrium (free edition)
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
    Save the image to another drive or to the cloud.
    Backup all the files to another drive or to the cloud.
    After the above steps you will have all the files backed up and an image backed up.
    This way incase the drive fails or in case the drive becomes unbootable you have your important files backed up.

For updating drivers see this link:
    Updating a driver: Updating a driver. - Microsoft Community

Download and install Sea Tools for Windows.
    Run long generic tests on all HD.
    How to use SeaTools for Windows
    http://www.seagate.com/support/downl...ls-win-master/
    How to use SeaTools for Windows
    http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

zbook, Nov 26, 2017
  11. bbawt Win User
    Thanks. I had read that often even new drives will have bad blocks - they simply are written into the drive bios as unusable. This drive had bad blocks from early on, and it is an older drive. But it never caused the issue of freezing during "stopping services" which has been the recent problem preventing any updates that need a reboot. However, from all the steps I've done following your information I've had a number of clean shutdown and reboots with no hang ups. My wife will monitor that over the next few days I'm on the road and I'll do the rest when I'm back and see if I can update windows again.

Important docs are OK. I've always kept my photos/vids/docs etc. backed up onto 3 separate backup drives (yes, I'm paranoid...one stays next to computer, one stored at work and brought home for back up weekly, one travels with me).

All your help through this has been most appreciated! Thanks so much.

bbawt, Nov 26, 2017
  12. True but they are invisible to user - bad sectors discovered during factory test are logged in P-List table and they don't affect values in SMART statistics. They are skipped out, not reallocated. On the contrary, bad sectors emerged as a result of regular disk usage are logged in G-List and they impact SMART data. In this case, sector reallocation occurs; it affects data transfer speed because of necessary seeks.

Seagate disks which exhibit errors often can be successfully revived making three steps: clear G-List, reset SMART, Secure Erase. Unfortunately, this method requires some special hardware (USB to TTL Converter for connecting to disk service interface) and skills which are far beyond normal computer usage.

muchomurka, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem: freeze on shut down and win update - Similar Threads - Problem freeze shut

2. PC freezes and shuts down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC freezes and shuts down: I installed a new CPU and motherboard and have been getting an issue where the PC randomly shutsdown and I don't udnerstand where the problem is. The dump file data is included belowWHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR 124A fatal hardware error has occurred. Parameter 1 identifies the...
  3. PC freezes and shuts down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC freezes and shuts down: I installed a new CPU and motherboard and have been getting an issue where the PC randomly shutsdown and I don't udnerstand where the problem is. The dump file data is included belowWHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR 124A fatal hardware error has occurred. Parameter 1 identifies the...
  4. PC shut down and freezing problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC shut down and freezing problem: Hi,My pc is facing a weird problem:1 It does not running on 3200 mhz , I have enabled it manually multiple times but my pc just shuts down and it alway revert back to 2133 mhz and enable core performance boost I dont prefer it because it get preety hot nad i dont have good...
  5. PC shut down and freezing problem

PC shut down and freezing problem: Hi,My pc is facing a weird problem:1 It does not running on 3200 mhz , I have enabled it manually multiple times but my pc just shuts down and it alway revert back to 2133 mhz and enable core performance boost I dont prefer it because it get preety hot nad i dont have good...
  6. PC shut down and freezing problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. freezing and shutting down.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    freezing and shutting down.: I have windows 11. My computer is frequently freezing and or on occasion it just shuts down without notice or pattern. Sometimes i must do a hard reboot as the task manager wont reset. Or when i go to my task manager i see so many programs running and have no idea what they...
  8. freezing and shutting down.

freezing and shutting down.: I have windows 11. My computer is frequently freezing and or on occasion it just shuts down without notice or pattern. Sometimes i must do a hard reboot as the task manager wont reset. Or when i go to my task manager i see so many programs running and have no idea what they...
  9. Computer freezing and shutting down

Computer freezing and shutting down: Since building my new computer, I have experience the following problem a few times: Source Windows Summary Hardware error Date ‎12/‎06/‎2020 14.20 Status Report sent Description A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly. Problem signature...
  10. shuts down as it freezes

shuts down as it freezes: I can only have it up for 5 min maybe. Then it freezes up, after a few moments it shuts it self off and need to restart. This computer is not used very much at all. I am a Senior, and use it to pay bills, and shop once in a while....