Windows 10: Problem logging on name

Discus and support Problem logging on name in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm not sure if this is the right spot to post this (apologizes if it isn't as I can't find the section this falls under) as the screen problem i'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by IAmKC, May 5, 2017.

1. IAmKC Win User

Problem logging on name

I'm not sure if this is the right spot to post this (apologizes if it isn't as I can't find the section this falls under) as the screen problem i'm having is not blue but rather black. Anyways I have a HP Pavilion desktop computer. The problem that my mom and I are having is that every time we log onto our names to our desktops that nothing comes up and will just be a black screen. The computer starts up just fine when turning it on but then the black screen will come up when logging on our names with our desktops not appearing. We can't do anything to get them to work and show but I'll end up pressing ctrl + atl + delete on the keyboard which then will give the option to log off and bring me back to the start screen with our names to click on. Before this happened the computer would work very slowly and lag with no pages loading properly. They will eventually but then an error will come up which then I could refresh and they will work again.

Here's a video to show the problem. I uploaded to a site and provided a link: IMG_3762 | Computer black screen when logging on name | Files.fm.

Is there anyway that this can be fixed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

IAmKC, May 5, 2017

2. Logging on problem

Tim

Have you tried this?

Press and hold down the Power button on the computer to cause the computer to restart. On the third time you do this you should see an Advanced Options menu. Select System Restore to restore the computer to an earlier date and time.

Gerry C J Cornell, May 5, 2017
  3. Logging on problem

This computer does not have a password. So, when it boots up, after going through the windows icon, and what use to be the hour glass. It just goes to a black screen, with a mouse curser. and I have movement of the curser.

so when I try to boot in recovery, unlike the other two computers. This one in recovery, asks for the keyboard layout. I have tried using a usb keyboard. These are desktops, I forgot to mention that. I cant get past that screen, to click the advance.

TimBush442, May 5, 2017
  4. Problem logging on name

Hi IAmKC.

Just so we all understand. When your machine powers up you see the picture, you click a key and the log in screen appears, you then enter your passwords, which Windows accepts and then it goes to black screen.

Correct?

Caledon Ken, May 5, 2017
  5. IAmKC Win User
    Sorry but what do you mean by key? We don't have passwords set for our desktop names. We just log in but yes, lately it just goes to a black screen after doing so.

IAmKC, May 6, 2017
  6. Oh. Usually when Windows presents its lock screen you have to either click the mouse or tap a key to get password box.

To check if this is a video driver issue can you boot to safe mode, with Network. If you can do this and see your desktop, although it will look different as Windows is using a basic video driver, then this would confirm it is a Video driver issue. If it is confirmed then you can enter device manager and go to your video driver. Try rolling it back to an older version. You may also wish to try getting a newer driver but myself, I would find an older driver. Of course if the older driver works then you will have to tell Windows to lay off driver updates as it will help you by installing the newest.

To get to safe mode to not change msconfig. Follow this tutorial.

Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10

The easiest way to get this started is to hold the shift key down and click restart.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Problem logging on name

1. Problem logging on name - Similar Threads - Problem logging name

2. New Name When Logging In

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Name When Logging In: We just bought a new HP computer, and my name is the only name that can log in. We can't find a way to put my husband's name on the login page. Please help us! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-name-when-logging-in/ca6e6ba8-ded8-4396-9d0d-a9e3af1a24fe
  3. New Name When Logging In

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Name When Logging In: We just bought a new HP computer, and my name is the only name that can log in. We can't find a way to put my husband's name on the login page. Please help us! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-name-when-logging-in/ca6e6ba8-ded8-4396-9d0d-a9e3af1a24fe
  4. ESENT Log Name: Application

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ESENT Log Name: Application: Can you help me with this? Log Name: Application Source: ESENT Date: 1/8/2021 2:01:49 AM Event ID: 642 Task Category: General Level: Warning Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-892H6FC Description:...
  5. Boot performance log names

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot performance log names: Hi, I am comparing my boot log times event performance ops and found some names on the web but many are left unexplained, is there a MS reference for these names, like SessionInitStartTimeMS and SessionInitOtherDuration? <Data Name="BootTsVersion">2</Data> <Data...
  6. missing user name at log on

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    missing user name at log on: The moderator says he moved the post at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hello-winpc/missing-windows-10-user-account/46382557-9aa1-45ad-a687-087ed9236948 ...to the appropriate forum category. When the ************* is the appropriate forum?...
  7. Name of account when logging in

in Windows 10 Customization
    Name of account when logging in: Hi I need to figure out how to change my name because somebody changed my name for administrator https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/name-of-account-when-logging-in/3fc18c5f-7730-4312-b6df-c80a39208ebd
  8. Cant log on with user name

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant log on with user name: I only have one user on my computer . while trying to make some changes I accendtial removed my user name. Help I cant' log in and I do not have a start up disk Is there a place where I can download one?...
  9. Log in problem

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Log in problem: Hi My 8 year old has locked himself out of his laptop because he likes messing with the username and password and now he can't remember the password. I have reset the Microsoft password but the log in is not using the Microsoft password. I am unable to boot in safe mode as...
  10. Log-in problem

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Log-in problem: I am having difficulties with logging-in. It began with no longer being able to use my PIN code, but having to use my password instead. I went to Settings, intending to refresh my PIN code but found that the sign-in options page will not open. Then I found that I could not...