Windows 10: Problem moving Documents Folder to hard drive from SSD

Discus and support Problem moving Documents Folder to hard drive from SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My SSD is filling up (it's 256gb) and so I decided to move the documents folder to the D: harddrive. I changed the location under Quick Access to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DonaldS, Jan 12, 2018.

1. DonaldS Win User

Problem moving Documents Folder to hard drive from SSD

My SSD is filling up (it's 256gb) and so I decided to move the documents folder to the D: harddrive. I changed the location under Quick Access to D:\Documents. The system created the directory and moved the files. However, before the move there were 54gb of files and 2840 folders under C:\<user name>\Documents. Now after the 'move' there are 26gb and 2840 folders left under C:\<user name>\Documents. If it moved them, how come a copy of 1/2 of files and all of the folders are still on C:\ ? I verified it's not just a pointer by deleting one of the files in D:\Documents. It's still on C:\.

:)

DonaldS, Jan 12, 2018
  2. JP03833 Win User

Migrated c:drive to an external drive, which transformed drive to Documents folder

I recently migrated my C: hard drive to an SSD device. I want to move the Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos libraries back over to a large hard drive I:

I inadvertently moved the Documents folder/library to my I: drive. I expected to see the Documents folder in the I: drive, but it appears the I: is the Documents folder.

Document library folder- Original Title

Now when I try to move the Documents or I: library I get an Access Denied.

JP03833, Jan 12, 2018
  3. Problems moving the Documents folder to a new drive

I was able to move my Documents folder to a new hard drive, but was having some problems with how things were set up. I restored the default location of the Documents. Now, as I am trying to move this folder again, it will not actually go anywhere. When
    I choose the location and select move, it just goes back to asking me to select a location. Can anyone offer any help? i want the folder off my little SSD drive!

The Bot Doc's Wife, Jan 12, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

The problem could be in how you made the move. I find it works best to first create the new Folder on the second drive or partition such as D:\Documents. The I go to C:\Users\USERNAME, right-click the Documents Folder and on the Location tab specify the new Folder. The Folders shown on the left column above the C: drive usually do not fully work for the process.

Berton, Jan 12, 2018
  5. In addition to what Berton said, I find that it's generally safer to copy/paste the files instead of moving (basically the same as cut/paste method) the files. This way you can verify you have exactly the same amount of files and disk space used (assuming formatting is the same on both drives).

titetanium, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem moving Documents Folder to hard drive from SSD - Similar Threads - Problem moving Documents

2. How to move documents folder out of OneDrive to hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move documents folder out of OneDrive to hard drive?: I discovered this problem because of a game I have. I wanted to add a mod, but when I went to look for the documents folder in "this pc-windows C:- users - [my user]", but the correct one is not there. In [my user] should be a documents file with all my folders/files, but it...
  3. How to move documents folder out of OneDrive to hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move documents folder out of OneDrive to hard drive?: I discovered this problem because of a game I have. I wanted to add a mod, but when I went to look for the documents folder in "this pc-windows C:- users - [my user]", but the correct one is not there. In [my user] should be a documents file with all my folders/files, but it...
  4. Move C Drive to SSD from hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move C Drive to SSD from hard drive: 21H1 Built 19043.1110 I have a Dell Inspiron 3580 that comes with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB Toshiba hard drive. After trying to install a duel boot with Win 10 Pro and Linux I see in Disk Management that Windows (C:) is on the 1 TB drive. I can only boot into Win 10 and every...
  5. Move C Drive to SSD from hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Move C Drive to SSD from hard drive: 21H1 Built 19043.1110 I have a Dell Inspiron 3580 that comes with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB Toshiba hard drive. After trying to install a duel boot with Win 10 Pro and Linux I see in Disk Management that Windows (C:) is on the 1 TB drive. I can only boot into Win 10 and every...
  6. Moving Documents folder from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving Documents folder from one drive to another: Hi,My Documents folder in located on D Drive right now but I would like to move it back onto C drive hard drive. What's the safest way to do it without losing files?...
  7. Problems moving Documents & Pictures folders from OneDrive folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems moving Documents & Pictures folders from OneDrive folder: Hi. I have a new laptop which I am just setting up to my liking and I didn't want OneDrive. This may have been a mistake but I have cleaned out all the files from the cloud and uninstalled OneDrive from my computer. I have been left with a OneDrive folder in my users/name...
  8. Windows move from hard drive to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows move from hard drive to SSD: Hi, I just recently bought a computer preowned and it has a hard drive and an SSD. When I turned the computer on and set up windows I realised that windows was installed on the hard drive and not on the SSD. Is there anyway to move windows to my SSD? I don't have anything...
  9. Is there anyway to move the "My Documents" folder to another hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there anyway to move the "My Documents" folder to another hard drive: The reason why this is an issue is because my windows drive is almost full and there's no way to change were steam puts saves and world data. So, i need to move the entire folder to my other dtive which has around 556gb left while my c drive has about 19. So, is it even...
  10. Moving windows 10 from mech hard drive to SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving windows 10 from mech hard drive to SSD: My old hard drive is on its last legs so i got a new SSD. Can i install windows 10 and activate it with the same licence that is on my old mechanical one. Or do I have to purchase a new key? Also I dont have my old activation key Thanks in advance...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. move documents to from ssd to hard drive

2. windows move documents folder to hdd from ssd