Windows 10: Problem Networking Two Computers

Discus and support Problem Networking Two Computers in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am having problems with Networking 2 Windows 10 computers. The first computer is an HP Laptop with windows 10 factory installed. It connects to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JJG10, Jan 10, 2016.

1. JJG10 Win User

Problem Networking Two Computers

I am having problems with Networking 2 Windows 10 computers.

The first computer is an HP Laptop with windows 10 factory installed. It connects to my router via a wireless connection.

The second is a Dell Desktop with 2 SSD's -- one containing Win 7 and the other Win 10. I choose in BIOS which I want to use. Only one of them is connected at a time. Their names are Windows10 or Windows7 depending on which SSD is connected

When the desktop is running Win 10, the laptop's Network window shows the desktop but when I try to open it I get a message from Window Security telling me to enter my credentials to connect to Window10 and the name jsquareg. I assume jsquareg refers to the Ethernet network on on the Desktop. I've no idea what the password is or why it asks to connect to it. Also, on the desktop, the network window does not show the laptop,

But, when I run the desktop under Windows 7, Everything works just fine. Each machine can communicate with the other.

I have read all I can find about networking Windows 10 but have not been able to find an answer to this problem.

Can someone help me?

Thank you very much.

:)

JJG10, Jan 10, 2016
  2. Arul_D Win User

Problem Networkin Two Computers

Hi Jack,

Thank you for replying.

• Have you tried the steps provided by me?

• If yes, what are the results?
    If no, I would suggest you to follow the steps and reply us back with the status of this issue.

Arul_D, Jan 10, 2016
  3. Problem Networkin Two Computers

Jack Gillis, Jan 10, 2016
  4. Madness10 Win User

Try this and see if it works. How can I share any files on my network ?
    Also, try this, run command prompt in admin mode,
    sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
    sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

Madness10, Jan 11, 2016
  5. JJG10 Win User
    Sorry Madness10, but neither worked.

Thank you.

JJG10, Jan 11, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    It is because you are running Windows 7 on one drive, Windows 10 on the other. Changing properties in the bios, is not going to stop one OS, especially 10, from mucking up the other OS. You need to decide which one you will stay with, and stick with it. Windows 10 has a nasty habit of screwing up the MBR on other partitions and other drives in the same machine.

bro67, Jan 12, 2016
  7. JJG10 Win User
    Thank you Bro67,

I understand what you say but I thought I had eliminated that problem by having only one drive connected in the computer at a time.

JJG10, Jan 12, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Not wise to keep doing that. At some point, you will break the connectors on the drive. You would be better to get a Swap bay, if you are going to be going back and forth.

bro67, Jan 12, 2016
  9. gl3nborj Win User
    Turn on file and printer sharing, turn on network discovery, disable password both for public and private connections on your windows 10.

gl3nborj, Jan 14, 2016
  10. Dartman Win User
    Thanks for that, I hadn't checked that far on my new install of 10 pro and have been having issues with slow transfers between it and my 7 box, plus always asking me to login.
    Fixed the login in issues which seemed to make my VideoRedo program happy when editing files originally on the 7 box and coming in over the network between them.
    Guess eventually when it's done encoding bunch of new video captures I'll have to restart and see if the file transfers seem faster and smooth compared to going in spurts like it had been even when all logged in.

Dartman, Jan 15, 2016
  11. JJG10 Win User
    Thank you! I thought I had done that but apparently not. All is well now.

JJG10, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem Networking Two Computers - Similar Threads - Problem Networking Computers

2. connecting two computers on the same home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    connecting two computers on the same home network: i have a windows 11 computer and a Windows 10 computer . the win10 computer has four external drives attached to it. i would like to be able to sit at my win11 computer and browse and edit the files on the exernal drives connected to my win10 computer , and also the "D" drive...
  3. Networking two windows computers within home network problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Networking two windows computers within home network problem: I have 2 windows PC's. Both on a local network. Both linked to a Microsoft account. Both set up to use a PIN or Facial recognition to login to windows. All that works fine. What I am trying to do is locally access PC1 from PC2 and vice versa. This used to work just fine until...
  4. Networking two windows computers within home network problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Networking two windows computers within home network problem: I have 2 windows PC's. Both on a local network. Both linked to a Microsoft account. Both set up to use a PIN or Facial recognition to login to windows. All that works fine. What I am trying to do is locally access PC1 from PC2 and vice versa. This used to work just fine until...
  5. LAN Networking between two computers

LAN Networking between two computers: My network between my two computers connected via a Gigabit switch does not work, I have to uninstall my ethernet connection and restart my computer to get it working and the networking falls out again when I restart the computer. Can anyone help, it's driving me crazy....
  6. Network of two computers works on one only

Network of two computers works on one only: I have two desktop computers both running Win10 most current connected by two cables to one Xfinity Modem/Router. Some time ago, I set up a Network on both machines. When I open File Explorer on machine "A", I see both "A" and "B" computers and can access any file on both....
  7. Network two computers

Network two computers: How do I share files between two Windows 10 computers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-two-computers/06745509-10ba-4ffd-9d36-4092d2e421d9
  8. two networked computers cannot exchange data

two networked computers cannot exchange data: I have a desktop PC and a Surface Book 3 laptop both running Windows 10 Pro and both running on the same network. Explorer on both computers show the computers and the Media Devices. From both Computers I can click on the Media Devices and fully access and use my photos &...
  9. Connecting two computers mini network

Connecting two computers mini network: Earlier this year I bought a new Windows 10 computer to replace my 4 year old windows 7. Almost all of my important info/data is on external HD I use the computer hard drive almost exclusively for programs. I realized today that there actually is a couple folders of info on...
  10. How to connect two computers on a home network?

How to connect two computers on a home network?: I have a Win7 PC and a Win10 laptop. They are successfully connected to the same router (PC is wired, laptop is wifi). They are on the same Homegroup, which is set as a private network on both. File sharing is turned on for both in every way imaginable. However... The...