Windows 10: Problem renaming a Start Menu folder

Discus and support Problem renaming a Start Menu folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have just moved from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (64-bit). For me there is a significant learning curve, and I need help with one issue that I have been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ubtree, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Ubtree Win User

Problem renaming a Start Menu folder

I have just moved from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (64-bit). For me there is a significant learning curve, and I need help with one issue that I have been unable to resolve.

I tried to rename the following folder:
    C:\Users\All users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Wacom Tablet

I used an administrator account, and I took ownership of the folder. When I right-clicked on the folder, selected "Rename" and changed the name to "Wacom Intuos Tablet", the new name did not appear to stick ie. when I pressed Return after typing in the new name, the old name remained.

In Windows Explorer, the file name is unchanged (ie. Wacom Tablet). But now:
    • when I look at Security Permissions, although the window title is "Permissions for Wacom Tablet", the Object name is given as "C:\Users\All users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Wacom Intuos Tablet
    • when I look at Advanced Security Settings, although the window title is "Advanced Security Settings for Wacom Tablet", the Name (at the top of the window) is C:\Users\All users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Wacom Intuos Tablet
    Can anyone explain to me what has happened, and why?

:)

Ubtree, Oct 29, 2015

2. ERROR ON SETTING

Try a soft reset. If that does not work, open File Explorer and go to Windows - Start Menu. Rename the Settings folder to any name you want. Then click and hold on a blank space and from the menu select New Folder and call it Settings. Go back to the Start
    Menu and click Settings again. If that works, and it should, go back to the Start Menu folder in File Explorer the Delete the Settings folder that you renamed.

Linley Meslier, Oct 29, 2015
  3. Windows 10 - cannot delete or unpin a tile from the Start Menu

Best answer on Google search. Thank you so much for the tip! Rename the folder or file, or whatever shortcut tile is having problems on the Start Menu. For me it was a shortcut to a folder on my local drive. Changed the folder name on the local drive,
    then went to Start Menu and unpin the problematic tile... whoa-la!

Brian.M.Cook, Oct 29, 2015
Thema:

Problem renaming a Start Menu folder

1. Problem renaming a Start Menu folder - Similar Threads - Problem renaming Start

2. Windows 11, folder renaming problem.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11, folder renaming problem.: When I click the More Options link then select Rename, the highlighted folder to be renamed jumps to another folder and I am unable to rename the desired folder. If I click on the folder a level above the folder I want to rename, and display the folder in the right pane, I am...
  3. Problem renaming folders in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem renaming folders in Windows Explorer: I am using Windows File Explorer, Windows 10 Pro on a PC. I am trying to add a new sub-folder to an existing folder. As I type the sub-folder name it exits, leaving only one or 2 characters of the name. If I try to rename, the legacy text flashes blue so I can't overtype it....
  4. Start Menu search is blank after renaming user profile folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu search is blank after renaming user profile folder: [ATTACH] How to rename the User folder in Windows 10? - Super User I followed the procedure in the link above to rename profile. After re-logging in with renamed user, start menu search stopped working. What should I do? I tried re-creating windows search index, ran...
  5. Change/remove/rename start menu Icons?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change/remove/rename start menu Icons?: Hey all I'm intrigued by the new start menu's look. However, it's still severely limited in options. Is there a tool or a hack to remove start menu items such as folders, cortana, people, etc. that do not have an uninstall option? Google gives me nothing but standard stuff...
  6. Rename start menu item Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rename start menu item Windows 10: I have installed different versions of an application but they all appear as "ABC application". How can I can name each one uniquely ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rename-start-menu-item-windows-10/db44fa34-1d71-4466-b7b9-94644bb88dc5
  7. Folder in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder in Start Menu: I accidently created a folder in the start menu by dragging one app over top of another but I hesitated a little to long and it automatically created a folder. How do I remove the folder from Start?...
  8. Profile picture, Start Menu and Renaming files

Profile picture, Start Menu and Renaming files: Hello! I am having a little trouble with my computer, my start menu does not work, it only comes up but i can't do anything. I can´t change my profile picture on my computer and when i trie to rename my files a popup window comes up saying ''Can´t find the scecified file''....
  9. Folders on Start Menu

Folders on Start Menu: Hi, Last question on customizing Windows 10 *Smile Settings > Personalization > Start > Choose which folder appear on Start I need to enable ONLY the following ones: File Explorer Settings Documents Downloads Personal Folder As usual via registry! In Windows 7...
  10. Any Way to Rename Start Menu Tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Any Way to Rename Start Menu Tiles: Title says it all -- In particular, Windows Update tile which was created by right-clicking on Update & security box in settings and selecting Pin to Start. The tile opens up the Windows Update page and I would like to rename the tile to say Windows Update ( or Win Update...