Windows 10: problem saving .bat file

Discus and support problem saving .bat file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Win 10, want to save .bat file in a Program directory. Downloaded a program in a zip file and unzipped it to a Program Files (x86) folder. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jalea148, Nov 4, 2016.

1. jalea148 Win User

problem saving .bat file

In Win 10, want to save .bat file in a Program directory. Downloaded a program in a zip file and unzipped it to a Program Files (x86) folder. This folder has other .bat files but one was missing. Now have it but cannot save it in the folder.
    I am the owner of the folder.

:)

jalea148, Nov 4, 2016
  2. VXL
    vxl Win User

Change photo file name

I had the same problem, so i created a BATCH (.bat) file that i execute each time i download my photos (before download my wife's photo).

With NOTEPAD, create a text file with the following line of text

for %%d in (WP*.JPG) do ren %%d B%%d

Save it with a .BAT extension

It reads all files that starts with WP**********.JPG name in the current directory and rename to BWP**********.JPG

3. AllanKirk Win User
    Batch file creation

I was able to create a .BAT file using notepad, then double clicking it would start the batch file. Recently when saving the document is still a notepad document and wont run as a batch file. When clicking on the icon of the notepad it has called it a
    .BAT file. ? To further clarify; the icon has not changed to that of a batch file, it stays as a notepad icon. Thanks for any help.

AllanKirk, Nov 4, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

problem saving .bat file

Hi, I don't know why you can't access it- you haven't quoted the message I guess you've seen.

One way you can certainly do this is to SHIFT click restart and navigate to a command prompt, and (cautiously, making sure you are doing what you intend) copy your file into that folder.

As Windows isn't running, permissions problems won't apply.

If not familiar with the command prompt, get a copy of Kyhi's boot DVD /flash drive from the top of the Software and Apps section here, boot from that to what looks like Windows, and thus copy your file.

dalchina, Nov 4, 2016
  5. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Maybe but do you have "Write" permissions ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 4, 2016
  6. Yea. is a security / permissions thing.

I know it's a pain but save the .bat file to Desktop then drag and drop to Program Files. Then you'll be prompted for admin permission. Click yes.

ComputerGeek, Nov 4, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    There is no security/permissions bug. We no longer use batch files with Windows. You use a script to run what you ned if it is for anything in particular.

Batch files were needed during DOS days. They will no longer work in how people think that they would when it comes to the newer Windows.

bro67, Nov 5, 2016
  8. fdegrove Win User

problem saving .bat file

Hi,

Who are "we" ?
    .bat is just a file extension that stems from the DOS era but you can still use it in W10 if the command lines are properly written for the W10 command line interpreter.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 5, 2016
  9. jalea148 Win User
    After the folder was renamed the ownership changed. After fixing was able to save. Thank you.

jalea148, Nov 5, 2016
  10. Berton Win User
    I still use a few .bat/batch files to accomplish something in Win10 so they are not actually dead. One example is for flushing the DNS and the other is for removing OneDrive, both on my Desktop and don't need to open Command Prompt first, just double-click. The biggest difference I see between Win10 Command Prompt and older versions is some of the DOS-type commands are either missing or not functional. A lot of the commands here still work even though the page mentions WinXP:
    Command-line reference A-Z

Berton, Nov 5, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    That would be everyone that works with Windows to have it perform certain functions. A Script is a lot safer than a batch file. Also Scripts allow you to do a lot more than a batch file. There is no Command Line Interpreter any more. Powershell is taking its place, Command is going away because it is also outdated and a holdover from the old days.

Those that still want to use batch files are holdovers from the DOS days. Again no one uses them anymore since it is a outdated method. Break Your Batch Habit and Move to PowerShell | PowerShell content from Windows IT Pro

bro67, Nov 5, 2016
  12. Bull Bro!

Buried deep within Windows, is DOS. That simply means "Disk Operating System".
    Windows won't work, without one.
    It's been right there since the first version of Windows hit the market.

Regardless of the version of Windows, they all will run Batch Files. I have several that I use every day,
    to do disk cleanup, backup data files, and perform other repetitive jobs.

When I set up a new version of Windows, I use many batch files to install things into Windows and
    tweak it and tune it for maximum efficiency. Batch files are just a list of DOS commands and require
    very little knowledge or training. On the other hand learning the Scripting language is beyond the
    capability or interest of most users.
    I've been a PC tech since 1980 and I still don't know how to write 'Scripts'. And at 73 I'm probably
    too old to learn it now. *Smile

I write batch files in Wordpad, then save them with the extension set to .bat and the file type set to "All Files".
    If a batch file gets saved with the .txt extension, that can be renamed to .bat easily.

Cheers Mates,
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Nov 5, 2016
  13. problem saving .bat file

As a general rule I dont trust bat files! unless I want a virus.

Bright Eyes, Nov 5, 2016
  14. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

May I suggest to search the system drive ? I bet you'll find at least a dozen batch files.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 5, 2016
  15. Kbird Win User
    I still use them too, but use Notepad (no formatting in .bat files) and when going to save simply enclose the File name with quotes so it doesn't save it as a .txt file ie "NewBatchFile.bat"

Not all my old ones work with Win10 though due to permission errors on C: Drive nowadays....

Kbird, Nov 5, 2016
Thema:

problem saving .bat file

1. problem saving .bat file - Similar Threads - problem saving bat

2. Bat file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bat file: I have a bat fileI am improving it bit by bit till I have reached But not i have added a warning to it before a commandI now want to make that line font size Bigger than the others How can I do that ??So here is the Batch file content@ECHO OFF echo...
  3. Bat file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bat file: I have a bat fileI am improving it bit by bit till I have reached But not i have added a warning to it before a commandI now want to make that line font size Bigger than the others How can I do that ??So here is the Batch file content@ECHO OFF echo...
  4. .bat files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .bat files: So i am trying to make a minecraft server and need to open a .bat file but i keep getting a error saying "This app can not run on this pc" But it worked a month ago i need a solution please....
  5. Bat file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bat file: Good morning/evening/night, I wanted to create a batch file or an exe that can change options inside the gui of an application (the application is cisco webex) (if you are familliar with webex i want to change the audio or turn it to music mode witha batch file) but i am...
  6. problem with saving files

problem with saving files: I can not save files because of several issues: the files and folders names are not showing and I do not see a field where to put in the file name. The issue occurred suddenly while I was working on my PC....
  7. Problem saving files

Problem saving files: You don't have permission to modify files in this network location. Contact the administrator per permission to make these changes. Any suggestion? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-saving-files/d8675d54-44d7-4177-9d15-4fb77f26bd94
  8. .bat file

in Windows 10 Customization
    .bat file: I have .bat file it is not working in my new PC when I double click on it. but it was working in my old PC. could your please support how to associate .bat file in windows 10? Kindly looking for your support and reply in this regards. Thanks.....
  9. Task Scheduler and Bat File Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler and Bat File Problem: Hi, Not sure which forum to post this in, but hopefully someone has some insight and can help me with this. I have a simple .bat file that stops my media server, creates an archive of a folder (for backup purposes), and then starts the media server again. It works...
  10. File association problem with .reg and .bat files

in Windows 10 Support
    File association problem with .reg and .bat files: Asus laptop with WINDOWS 10 When double clicking a .reg file the default action is merge by running the regedit.exe. On the right-click content menu I have Merge (in bold), edit and print, select edit opens the notepad for editing. In order to prevent from merging the .reg...