Windows 10: Problem setting up Cortana

Discus and support Problem setting up Cortana in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hey, So I thought I'd give Cortana a try since I can turn it off again if I don't want it, however I get to the point where it makes me login, I enter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Traijan, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Traijan Win User

Problem setting up Cortana

Hey,
    So I thought I'd give Cortana a try since I can turn it off again if I don't want it, however I get to the point where it makes me login, I enter my email address and password and then it takes me to the next step where it tells me something like you need to enter your current password just one more time.
    I enter the same password one last time and it tells me it's wrong.
    I go through it all over again and reset my password and try again, go though the first login and get to the second stage where it asks me to enter my password one "last" time, and I do and it tells me it's wrong again.
    Try a third time, this time leaving the password blank on the 2nd step and still fails.
    Anybody know what I'm doing wrong here?
    Thanks

Edit: I know the password is correct as I've used it to login to live this morning, so not sure why it's not accepting it in the 2nd stage of the Cortana setup.

:)

Traijan, Sep 10, 2015

2. Problem in setting up cortana

Hi Sourav,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

- Are you using Microsoft account or Local account?

I suggest you to follow the steps given below and check if it helps:

1. Type Manage your Accounts
    in the search bar

2. Click on Your Accounts.

3. Click on Sign in with a local account instead.

4. Enter the Microsoft password if prompted.

5. Follow the on screen instructions to configure Local account.

6. Restart your PC.

7. Follow the same steps and change to Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.

8. Sing in to Cortana and check.

Let us know the status.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Sep 10, 2015
  3. Guru Kiran G, Sep 10, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

Between the lines I can read that you are at the moment using Windows 10 with a local account. Cortana requires you convert it to a Microsoft Account, Cortana can't be used when signed in to Windows with a local account. You can read more about the differences between the local and MS accounts in the beginning of this tutorial: Microsoft Account - Switch to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

When signed in to Windows with a local account and setting up Cortana, it converts your account to an MS account. That's the phase one, Cortana asking you your MS account email address and password. The phase two is kind of "identity check", Windows wants to know it's you and not just someone else who just happened to find your PC already signed in to desktop. That's why it asks you to give one last time the password of your old Windows 10 local user account.

Example: Mr. Larry Laffer has used Windows 10 with a local account Larry, password MyWindowsPassword. He has an email address, a Microsoft account L: larry.laffer@googleyahoomicrosoft.com, password MyEmailPassword. In phase one Cortana needs him to enter the MS account email and password (larry.laffer@googleyahoomicrosoft.com, password MyEmailPassword), and then in phase two the password of the local account Larry is currently signed in to Windows (MyWindowsPassword).

Short: phase one, enter your MS account email and its password, phase two enter your current local account's password.

Please notice that when you do this your whole user profile, user account will be converted to a Microsoft account and in the future you sign in to Windows using this email address and its password, not your old local account and its password. If you at any point decide to go back to local account, you can find instructions here: Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

5. Traijan Win User
    Thanks Kari,

I'll give that another shot tonight when I get home. Indeed when I first installed 10 (upgraded to 10) I used my Microsoft account but then I converted it to a local account and got rid of all traces of the Microsoft account from my computer. I don't use a password to login to my computer at home since it's only me and the partner and it's a local account.

I'm guessing my big stumbling block here is that I am using a local account instead of a Microsoft account to use my computer.

Is it possible to have both a local account and a MS account on the same installation of 10?

Traijan, Sep 11, 2015
  6. Kari Win User
    Yes. You can have as many user accounts on the same Windows 10 machine as you want to, a mix of local and Microsoft accounts. In fact although I am a fan of MS account, loving the OneDrive and Cortana integration, I have at least one local admin account on all my machines.

See this tutorial for various options: User Account - Add in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem setting up Cortana - Similar Threads - Problem setting Cortana

2. Cortana keeps popping up, but I cannot locate cortana settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana keeps popping up, but I cannot locate cortana settings: My laptop is 2 years old, but recently cortana keeps popping up.I can't stop it.If I click on the 3 dots on cortana looking for settings, the only choices are 'sign in', 'keyboard shortcut', 'feedback' and 'about', but not settings.If I go into windows settings, there is no...
  3. Cortana keeps popping up, but I cannot locate cortana settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana keeps popping up, but I cannot locate cortana settings: My laptop is 2 years old, but recently cortana keeps popping up.I can't stop it.If I click on the 3 dots on cortana looking for settings, the only choices are 'sign in', 'keyboard shortcut', 'feedback' and 'about', but not settings.If I go into windows settings, there is no...
  4. Cortana keeps popping up, but I cannot locate cortana settings

in Cortana
  5. Cortana Device set up

in Cortana
    Cortana Device set up: HI I am trying to set up my invoke speaker and after singing in to my account to let invoke connect to my microsoft account i getting error message I am having trouble connecting to this service...
  6. problems with cortana setting reminder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problems with cortana setting reminder: hello everyone, this is my first question in this forum, I hope to be able to solve my problem. Pretty much since about September 2019 cortana stopped working when I try to set a reminder. The error returned sound like " I'm sorry, an error has occurred, try again in a...
  7. problem with setting up cortana

in Cortana
    problem with setting up cortana: I am from India . when i tried to activate cortana on my laptop it asked me to sign in with a microsoft account before it could help me . But when i chose an account and clicked on sign in a black window pops out and does not responds and closes automatically after a few...
  8. help with setting up cortana

in Cortana
    help with setting up cortana: need some help with set up. seems im missing something https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-with-setting-up-cortana/6037bc19-fb94-440d-8632-21dd3c3363e1
  9. Cortana Settings

in Cortana
    Cortana Settings: Hi, I have subscribed for fast ring insider program and yesterday my windows got updated to 2004 build. After that I was facing issues in cortana. Whenever I am opening cortana I am getting the message "sorry but cortana is not available in english india at this time". As...
  10. Setting up bi-weekly reminder in cortana

in Cortana
    Setting up bi-weekly reminder in cortana: I am new to the community and was trying to find a way of doing bi-weekly reminders for cortana. There is a way: enter the reminder as once and them edit it within the calendar and change it to repeat with a frequency of 2 weeks!...