Windows 10: Problem when opening xml file

Discus and support Problem when opening xml file in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a small program, which uses a number of xml files. The program is not working properly and I suspect that is due to a problem with one of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Nosmas, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Nosmas Win User

Problem when opening xml file

I have a small program, which uses a number of xml files. The program is not working properly and I suspect that is due to a problem with one of the xml files. When I click on any except one of those files it opens in a MS Edge (the default Windows 10 browser) window and all the elements, sub-elements, data and closing tags can be seen and read. Clicking on the problem file opens it in Edge BUT only shows the Root element, followed by the first element (called Appointment) then a large (vertical) space then another Appointment first element. There are (correctly) 25 of these Appointment elements and NO closing tags for them OR the Root element. However, clicking on ANY of the first Appointment elements immediately causes all the missing lines to be displayed – i.e. various other elements and their data and closing tags and also the closing tag for the Root element.

The file thus displayed is a perfectly normal xml file and it seems that there is something (possibly damage/corruption) that is prohibiting it from opening properly in the first place. Opening the xml file in Excel 2016 then saving as another name has no effect on its behaviour. Any thoughts please as to the cause and way to correct.

:)

Nosmas, Jul 27, 2017

2. Problem when opening a XML file

Hi Peter,

There are some reason that maybe affecting this concern like file corruption, software conflict, corrupted system file and such. You can check for possible discussion in
    MS Developer Network. You can also post your inquiry if you can't find discussion about your concern.

Don't hesitate to update us if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Roberto Ven, Jul 27, 2017
  3. Problem when opening a XML file

Hi Roberto - From another source I received a suggestion to open the offending file in Wordpad and to save it as an Office Open XML document which would have an extension of '.xml.doc' then remove the '.doc' part

That idea unfortunately hasn't worked for me. Having saved the file as suggested I then tried to open it. In Internet Explorer and MS Edge I get a completely blank page. In Notepad, Wordpad or Office XML Handler (which uses Notepad) I just get unintelligible
    "mumbo jumbo". In XML Notepad it states "Data at the root level is invalid Line 1 Position 1 and asks if I wish to open it using Notepad. Answering yes just results in "mumbo jumbo" as before.

The file only opens correctly in Word 2016, (i.e. showing all the elements etc.) but if I try to open any of the other XML files using Word, I get a message that "The file contains custom XML elements that are no longer supported in Word. Saving the fie will
    remove these elements permanently", and only the data for each element is shown for these files and there is no sign of the various elements themselves.

Don't know if any of the above gives some indication of what is wrong, but it's all very frustrating . Can't help feeling that it is something very simple! I would stress that the other four xml files used by the program all open properly in a Edge window

Peternosmas, Jul 27, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

You could try running it through an XML validator (just search for options).

dalchina, Jul 27, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    It's always helpful to know exactly what program the problem exists in. I have a couple of programs that can work with .xml files.

Berton, Jul 27, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    It's a txt file so you can open with notepad or simliar

Samuria, Jul 27, 2017
  7. Nosmas Win User
    Move top of queue in hope someone else may be able to suggest solution.

Nosmas, Aug 1, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

That's not allowed under forum rules, sorry.

dalchina, Aug 1, 2017
  9. Nosmas Win User
    dalchina - Why is it "not allowed" and where is the forum rule stating this?

Nosmas, Aug 1, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
Thema:

1. Problem when opening xml file - Similar Threads - Problem opening xml

2. .XML files wont stop opening in Internet explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .XML files wont stop opening in Internet explorer: .XMl Files wont stop opening in internet explorer on windows 10 Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xml-files-wont-stop-opening-in-internet-explorer/90c020fe-a94a-42fe-bd68-701373a8356d
  3. .XML files wont stop opening in Internet explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .XML files wont stop opening in Internet explorer: .XMl Files wont stop opening in internet explorer on windows 10 Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xml-files-wont-stop-opening-in-internet-explorer/90c020fe-a94a-42fe-bd68-701373a8356d
  4. .XML files wont stop opening in Internet explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. download .xml file

download .xml file: I am unable to download .xml files and changing the setting doesn't work/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-xml-file/e09a3a25-3436-4466-8f2a-918f6ece0a21
  6. XML Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    XML Files: Hi folks! Just registered to this forum and glad to have found it. So I was installing Ubuntu on my computer which already had windows 10.I wanted to have a dual OS. Things went south and windows got deleted/ over written or whatever. I used a hard drive recovery device to...
  7. Can't open, edit and save xml files

Can't open, edit and save xml files: Hello I have som xml files i want to edit, but for some reason my pc dont let choose what program i want to open the xml files with. It only show "open" and not "open with" notepad. Then i forced it to open it with notepad by making it default for xml files. Then i was able...
  8. Error 25541. Failed to open XML file...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error 25541. Failed to open XML file...: Get this "Error 25541. Failed to open XML file C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\machine.config. system error: - 2147024786" while trying to install Hallmark card studio deluxe. Brand new Windows 10 fully up to date. Can't seem to find an answer how to...
  9. "Always use this app to open .xml files" not working

"Always use this app to open .xml files" not working: Every time when I receive an .xml file in Outlook and try to open it, it will prompt a dialog and ask me to choose an APP to open it. Even though I tick "Always use this app to open .xml files", the next time I open it, same thing happens. So can anyone help me fix it. Many...
  10. MP4 file opens on personal laptop as XML Document file

in Windows 10 Support
    MP4 file opens on personal laptop as XML Document file: I downloaded an MP4 video file on my work laptop (Windows 7) and was able to open and watch it on Windows Media Player. I copied the file onto an external memory drive to watch the video at home but when I open the drive on my personal laptop (Windows 10) the file changes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. issues opening XML

2. problems with xml files

3. problems opening xml files