Windows 10: Problem with all browser activities

Discus and support Problem with all browser activities in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Dear friends, I have a problem with a specific public open hotspot so, as a first thing, I do not have access to the router settings. The fact is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by freddyit, Dec 8, 2016.

1. freddyit Win User

Problem with all browser activities

Dear friends,
    I have a problem with a specific public open hotspot so, as a first thing, I do not have access to the router settings.
    The fact is that all non-browser activities (i.e. Skype) are decent, I must say sometimes even quick and reliable. But all browser activities, with all browsers (Edge, Explorer, Chrome, etc), are very slow and sometimes simply I cannot do anything.
    My computer works perfectly with every other connection, so quite possibly the problem is in the public hotspot itself, but I would like to know if, in your informed opinion, it is possible that this public hotspot has some kind of strict filter for surfing on internet but not on the whole bandwidth I can use, and if there is something I can do to improve things from my computer. Because, and this is my main doubt, it seems strange to me that I can make video calls on Skype with good video quality right when, at the same time, I cannot even load Google homepage.
    Thank you all!

:)

freddyit, Dec 8, 2016

2. All browsers problem

Please reply

Indrė Duobaitė, Dec 8, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    All browsers problem

Do the following:

Open Microsoft Edge.

Type this into the address bar: www.microsoft.com

Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

Describe exactly what happens next.

BulldogXX, Dec 8, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Dec 9, 2016
  5. freddyit Win User
    Dear Dalchina,
    I tried to use non-automatic DNS, specifically 8.8.8.8. and 8.8.4.4. but nothing changed. Moreover, this is a modification that is going to affect all connections because it is made in the settings of the wireless network card but, as I said, I have problem only with this specific wifi connection.
    I was wondering, can AVAST be guilty, by somehow blocking surfing through browsers but not being able to stop non-browser activities? Maybe this may explain the problem with a single specific connection...

freddyit, Dec 9, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    DNS jumper will give a quick view of the response speed of the DNS's which you could compare with another connection.

Pinging a particular IP address will tell you its response speed.
    Also try comparing a speed test e.g.
    Flash Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Suggest you compare those with a location that works better for you.

You said the problem arises only on this connection, but it's not a question of the reliability or basic data rate, and likewise of your PC. So it's stg about how that connection is handling site access.

It would be interesting if you could compare with someone else using it.

It could however be sthg to do with the protocol used- i.e. what's different between browser access and a VOIP call.

dalchina, Dec 9, 2016
  7. freddyit Win User
    Dear Dalchina,
    thank you for all your suggestions!
    I will try and I will let you know.

freddyit, Dec 10, 2016
  8. freddyit Win User

Hello everyone (and Dalchina), here I am again.
    DNS jumper is indeed giving me DNS in order of quickest response speed. I tried almost all of them but none changed the situation so far. It is worth noticing that, during the tests, three or four DNS always fail, and always different DNS. It seems like if the connection is randomly blocking my browser activities after the first few seconds or so.
    Ping always works, even though speed is always slightly different, of course.
    I cannot use Speedtest because browsers stop working before I can get there.
    I noticed that not only Skype is working good, but also torr ent and, it seems to me, Windows Update as well. On the other side, it seems that browsers are blocked after the second or third website I visit (when I am lucky).

freddyit, Dec 14, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Have you tried a VPN? (Virtual Private Network - e.g. OK freedom). Can only suggest you talk with someone who manages this. Are there alternative connections there?

dalchina, Dec 14, 2016
  10. freddyit Win User
    Dear Dalchina,
    I already had the idea of VPN a few days ago but then it did not work. After your suggestion, I tried again and I have to say that internet works good now (at least today), browsers included!!!
    The only thing I just would like to mention is that, with VPN, torrent does not connect. Is there a solution for this?
    Thank you again!

freddyit, Dec 14, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, it's a question of which protocols the VPN supports. You'd need to find a premium VPN service for that.

Do a quick search for
    vpn torrent

and you will find what you want.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem with all browser activities - Similar Threads - Problem browser activities

2. Browser problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Browser problems: So basically I am on windows and whenever I use Opera GX, sometimes the computer completely freezes randomly, and I have to close the tab, and then I literally CAN'T GO TO THAT WEBSITE ANYMORE OR THE COMPUTER FREEZES AGAIN. And it's not like it freezes, then I'm fine. It is...
  3. Browser Problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Browser Problems: I installed the windows 11 update a few months ago but went back to the previous version because right after it messed with my browser. I'm unsure if this is because of the update, or just a browser hijacker. Sometimes when I would look up things and click on the links to...
  4. Browser Problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Browser Problems: I installed the windows 11 update a few months ago but went back to the previous version because right after it messed with my browser. I'm unsure if this is because of the update, or just a browser hijacker. Sometimes when I would look up things and click on the links to...
  5. Browser problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Browser problem: So I got my pc about a year ago, and after some months Google chrome just stoped working, like if u clicked on it it opened for a millisecond and instantly closed again. I tried to reinstall chrome but that didnt help. So I simply used firefox as a new browser, and I forgot...
  6. Having problems with accounts in ubereats & amazon.com in all browsers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Having problems with accounts in ubereats & amazon.com in all browsers: Hi all My current version of Windows 10 Pro 64bit is 1909 Build 18363.476. I'm using the following web browsers {Firefox ver 70.0.1, Chrome 78, and Edge}. When I go to amazon to window shop, I can access the different departments from the pop up windows, but as soon as I...
  7. browser problem

in Browsers and Email
    browser problem: i use firefox most of the time, this morning i could not logon to my bank, cant connect to upstream server i tried edge, same answer i tried vivaldi, did fine i went back to firefox and edge, they dont work, same error i am without a clue, two different browser dont work but...
  8. Problem with all web browsers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with all web browsers: All of the controls and shortcut bar keep disappearing from all browsers. Chrome, Firefox and Edge. I have to reboot to get them back. This is happening 2 - 3 times a day and is getting annoying. The example below is using Edge. [ATTACH]...
  9. Search Problems on all browsers

in Browsers and Email
    Search Problems on all browsers: My Daughter has encountered a problem - whenever she wishes to visit a site (she uses google / opera / bing) she meets with the following message - "We would like to show you a description here but the site won't allow us."? I said I would put this on the W10 forum and ask...
  10. Weird font problem across all browsers

in Browsers and Email
    Weird font problem across all browsers: Hi, A few months ago I started using my new laptop with Windows 8.1. Suddenly I noticed that on certain websites the fonts are displaying incorrectly. It would show Times New Roman in parts of the page instead of the normal font. This happens in all browsers so I guess it's...