Windows 10: Problem with Changing Download Option in Chrome

Discus and support Problem with Changing Download Option in Chrome in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I want to change the settings in my Chrome Browser (latest version, double-checked) so that I am ALWAYS asked where I want a download to go before it... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by gkaywood, Oct 9, 2017.

1. gkaywood Win User

Problem with Changing Download Option in Chrome

I want to change the settings in my Chrome Browser (latest version, double-checked) so that I am ALWAYS asked where I want a download to go before it starts downloading. In the advanced settings option box, I have the following:

Ask where to save each file before downloading (Dot button graphic, blue, set to right-hand side)

But when I go to a web page to get a download, it automatically saves it to the default location. I'm using an ASUS tablet/keyboard as well as an HP desktop.

How do I change the setting? Thank for your time and help.

:)

gkaywood, Oct 9, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Disable Preferences So That PDF Does Not Open As A Web Page

Sorry Merle, you cannot stop that behavior in Edge, it is inbuilt, useless in its functionality and cannot be changed!

That leaves you with 2 options:

• Download the PDF and read it offline in Adobe Reader
    • Change your browser to Chrome, this option can be disabled in Chrome:

• One Time changes that need to be made to Chrome to open PDF's in Adobe Reader
    • In the Chrome address bar, type chrome://plugins
    • Disable Chrome PDF Viewer

I Hope this Helps!

DaveM121, Oct 9, 2017
  3. M.Watush Win User
    can't open .exe files windows 10

Yes, I changed the "_" back to a "." in the executable file of the downloaded Chrome browser, which was downloaded using Microsoft's browser. I was then able to install Chrome and make it my default browser. Then, using Chrome, I downloaded the other
    programs and installed them with no problem. Thank you for the solution to a vexing problem.

M.Watush, Oct 9, 2017
  4. Problem with Changing Download Option in Chrome

Hi gkaywood. Welcome to the TenForums @gkaywood

When you download do you get a "File Explorer" window that you can navigate to a different location or does it just download, no window.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 9, 2017
Thema:

Problem with Changing Download Option in Chrome

1. Problem with Changing Download Option in Chrome - Similar Threads - Problem Changing Download

2. Problem with Google Chrome and downloading files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Google Chrome and downloading files.: I use Google Chrome and once every day, either the screen goes black and Chrome closes, or it says out of memory. I even cleared out my storage space but it still doesn't work. Also I can't download anything without Chrome saying "out of storage space". Any tips?...
  3. Problem with Google Chrome and downloading files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with Google Chrome and downloading files.: I use Google Chrome and once every day, either the screen goes black and Chrome closes, or it says out of memory. I even cleared out my storage space but it still doesn't work. Also I can't download anything without Chrome saying "out of storage space". Any tips?...
  4. Changing sign in options problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing sign in options problems: Hello,Every time i go to change my pin the option says that it is unavailable right not please try again later. Once I click on it all it says is an error occured. Does anyone know how to fix this?...
  5. Changing sign in options problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing sign in options problems: Hello,Every time i go to change my pin the option says that it is unavailable right not please try again later. Once I click on it all it says is an error occured. Does anyone know how to fix this?...
  6. Changing sign in options problems

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  7. DOWNLOADING CHROME

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DOWNLOADING CHROME: Why does it take a whole DAY to install Goggle Chrome after downloading the relatively small file in just a few minutes at most? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downloading-chrome/9b721ad8-9fca-4177-84ca-26958a775889
  8. downloading chrome

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    downloading chrome: I would VERY much like to download Chrome an Firefox and do not understand why the "S" mode is preventing everything. I have MANY things in google/Chrome and this is going to cause unfathomable problems...
  9. Problem with downloads in Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Problem with downloads in Chrome: Hello! As of March 8th, 2019 I can't download anything. Whenever I try, I get a message that says 'virus scan failed' accompanied by the failed download. Looking back at my download history, I was able to download things on March 6th, but was not able to on March 8th (I...
  10. Problem with downloads in Chrome

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with downloads in Chrome: Hello! As of March 8th, 2019 I can't download anything. Whenever I try, I get a message that says 'virus scan failed' accompanied by the failed download. Looking back at my download history, I was able to download things on March 6th, but was not able to on March 8th (I...