Windows 10: Problem with compressed memory process

Discus and support Problem with compressed memory process in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi I hope I have posted this in the right place I have a problem with the system and compressed memory process I have googled this to death... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by gooner1959, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Problem with compressed memory process

Hi

I hope I have posted this in the right place

I have a problem with the system and compressed memory process

I have googled this to death yet nothing I do seems to help

As I write this (very slowly) this process is currently using 24% of my CPU ! (system interupts using 10%)

I have had Windows 10 for 6 months but this problem is new

After reading various posts in various forums I have done the following

Turned off Windows Tips
    Turned off run memory diagnostic
    Reinstalled Windows 10
    Checked all my drivers which are all up to date

I have not taken other advice to turn off prefetch etc

This is not an intermittant problem as it is happening every 30 minutes or so

I have read and understand why Windows now uses a new method of memory management but either this new method sucks or I have another issue

I would appreciate any help as my PC is often unusuable for 5- 10 minutes every 30 minutes

Regards

Craig

:)

gooner1959, Mar 28, 2016
  2. SueDeyLoh Win User

System and Compressed Memory

In Windows 10, "System and Compressed Memory" is holding a compressed copy of other process' memory as one last stage before it is paged out to the disk. It's a new extra layer of caching. If another process is using tons of memory -- as Warcraft was
    in your case -- this process is going to be holding some memory on that process' behalf. Closing the process will cause "System and Compressed Memory" to go back down.

SueDeyLoh, Mar 28, 2016
  3. System memory and compressed memory, interrupts of the system

@JeffKrieble -

What you illustrate in your post is actually correct behavior, especially if you have a lot of programs open. System and compressed memory is the Windows 10 virtual memory manager. It takes the place of a paging system. Rather than page virtual memory
    out to disk, it compresses it instead, uncompressing the memory when a process asks for it. When compression is no longer adequate to satisfy virtual memory needs, then System and compressed memory will page to disk like older systems. At least that is how
    I'm told it is supposed to work.

The problem people are having is that System and compressed memory is using tons of CPU cycles, theoretically compressing and uncompressing memory, even when there are few active processes asking for memory reads or writes. When things
    get really bad, System and compressed memory starts thrashing the disk with excessive reads and writes, well in excess of any other process - often 4x the amount of disk activity for all other processes combined. When System and compressed memory misbehaves
    this way, System interrupts also starts chewing up CPU cycles. People have complained that these two processes take up 30% to 70% of the CPU, even when nothing else is active. Systems get hot, fans run excessively, and battery life goes to ****.

See this thread
    for even more examples.

Microsoft could be more forthcoming and actually respond
    to these issues - both reassuring about that which is working correctly and at least acknowledging the severe problem people are having and whether a fix is forthcoming.

BruceMorris, Mar 28, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Problem with compressed memory process

Ztruker, Mar 28, 2016
  5. Hi

Thanks for the response

I dont seem to be able to boot into safe mode

I follow the process all the way through to f5 then after a few minutes PC switches off

I will try the clean boot tho in the morning

gooner1959, Mar 28, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    You don't press F5, just press the number 5 key, that will take you to Safe Mode with Networking.

Ztruker, Mar 29, 2016
  7. ah ok i understand

I did the clean boot thing and oddly the problem seems to have vanished tho i dont know why I followed the tutorial and when i disabled all the non microsoft services problem went. What I dont understand is as I enabled them back bit by bit problem never returned although throughout it all I kept start up program items all disabled and I have left them that way for now

I will experiment with enabling them bit by bit to see if I get a conflict again with programs enabled

Thanks again for your help and I will let you know what happens

gooner1959, Mar 29, 2016
  8. Ztruker Win User

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Ztruker, Mar 29, 2016
  9. Ok

I have now enabled all of the start up apps i like to have start with windows and left others i dont use including some i didnt recognise but when googling them they dont seem needed and all is well - almost

I no longer have high CPU and memory usage but do get occasional 100% disk usage but that isnt causing me a problem so thanks for your help Ztruker and for the correct key for safe mode

gooner1959, Mar 30, 2016
  10. Ztruker Win User
    You are very welcome. Glad you got some relief from this problem at least.

Ztruker, Mar 31, 2016
  11. Oh well that didnt last long

CPU usage back up to 40% even 50% for minutes at a time rendering my PC unusable

It seems many other people have this issue so maybe it isnt me its Windows ?

gooner1959, Apr 2, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Hi, it's problem with various possible causes. System and compressed memory was introduced in Win 10 to optimise memory use, but can cause problems for some. Here's a collection of issues and maybe solutions. A common one is one experienced with Chrome.

Feel free to search the forum for "system and compressed memory" using the search box above.. you will find a number of threads. Here are some I've collected (unfortunately the para numbers as per my document aren't reproduced properly here)

About system and memory compression
    Windows 10 Memory Compression - Windows 10 Forums

• Memory leak- driver

Post 18:
    System running super slow with Windows 10

Unresolved- presumed driver
    System and Compressed Memory - Windows 10 Forums

• MS update KB3124262
    This is the update that is causing my system memory to go higher. Sometimes over 300mb to 500mb
    Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3124262)
    consuming 1-3GB of RAM - Windows 10 Forums
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...23a?auth=1This

• Acessing Facebook in browser
    High CPU usage - System and Compressed Memory

• Turnoff "show me tips about Windows."
    System and compressed memory slowing down disk operation

100% disk + System and compressed memory

• Solved- driver latency
    Is this normal? System and compressed memory process ALWAYS at 20% cpu

• Solved - Adblock.

Windows 10 HIGH CPU Usage

• Unresolved - tried setting pagefile size manually.

HELP - System and compressed memory constantly at 35% CPU

8. Solution/fix - Chrome and facebook

High CPU usage - System and Compressed Memory

Video card < 1Gb with Chrome- Chrome uses VRAM

dalchina, Apr 2, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

More attached here:System and compressed memory- solutions.doc

You could also post screenshots of your task manager highest CPU use and highest disk use topmost

dalchina, Apr 2, 2016
  14. Hi

Thanks for your response which I really appreciate as it clearly took some time and effort

I have read the threads here and on other forums and this seems to a widespread issue and I have no tried at least 8 different fixes

I have tried every solution and some work for a while but the problem always returns and unfortunately I cannot attach screenshots as when this issue presents itself my PC is turned into a very large paperweight with no function until it stops doing whatever it is doing. I cant even get the mouse to work let alone use the snipping tool because the problem is now getting worse earlier this evening my CPU was at 85 % and all I had open was firefox with 2 tabs and all this because I want to open a new browser tab

I have read threads on the microsoft site which are ridiculous asking for download of this tool and that tool and sending this log and that log

I am not an idiot but neither am I a software engineer I just want my OS to work like it used to until MS clearly messed it up

I am a Windows fan right back to 3.1 but not all the iteratiuons. I was really liking Windows 10 but this is as I said an issue caused by them so they should fix it

This post is in NO way aimed at you but maybe if anyone from Microsoft checks these threads out they get a sense of how frustrated a lot of their customers are

Regards and thanks again for your help

Craig

gooner1959, Apr 3, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hi, if you wish to get MS's attention, try
    Windows key + ? ( feedback)
    or posting on an MS site such as
    Technet forums

Most people here volunteer their time.

You could always take a photo of your screen.

Specifically, what is your CPU use
    - after a clean boot
    - in Safe Mode

dalchina, Apr 3, 2016
Thema:

1. Problem with compressed memory process - Similar Threads - Problem compressed memory

2. memory compression

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    memory compression: memory compression1memory compression2 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E8%83%BD%E5%90%A6%E4%BB%8B%E7%BB%8D%E4%B8%80/00b611dd-4262-41f5-b82e-1daaf905ddbc
  3. memory compression

in Windows 10 Gaming
    memory compression: memory compression1memory compression2 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E8%83%BD%E5%90%A6%E4%BB%8B%E7%BB%8D%E4%B8%80/00b611dd-4262-41f5-b82e-1daaf905ddbc
  4. memory compression

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. windows 10 suddenly slow because of "system and compressed memory" process

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 suddenly slow because of "system and compressed memory" process: Im using 1511 and It was totally great since the installation (about 1 month) but today this process called "system and compressed memory" started eating all of my disk, sometimes all of the RAM and the usage stays 90%+ and freezes randomly. This hasn't happened ever before....
  6. System and compressed memory

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    System and compressed memory: System and compressed memory is not showing in task manager, is it because I have enough RAM? Thanks. 62163
  7. System and Compressed Memory

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System and Compressed Memory: Is there any way to stop the "system and compressed memory" from happening? I am so annoyed by it's constant 90% Memory usage! I used to have only 8 GB of RAM and it would use 7GB out of the whole 8GB. I recently upgraded to 16GB and everything was fine. System and Compressed...
  8. Is this normal? System and compressed memory process ALWAYS at 20% cpu

Is this normal? System and compressed memory process ALWAYS at 20% cpu: I recently did a clean install of win10 on my laptop. Ever since then the process called "System memory and compressed memory" has been running at around 15-25% cpu load constantly. It never stops, even when letting the computer idle for hours. The laptop has a particularly...
  9. System and Compressed Memory Process Uses High CPU, Low Memory

System and Compressed Memory Process Uses High CPU, Low Memory: Several problems are happening. I don’t know if the extent to which they are related but here they are: Earlier today, I attempted, but failed, to install the latest update for the AMD Catalyst Control Center (CCC). In one place, a message said that it had installed...
  10. Task Manager - Memory Compression Process?

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Manager - Memory Compression Process?: Hello, In my main system I have a process going that I don't understand. I have 2 computers sitting side by side and when I located this anomaly in my main system, I checked my 2nd system and it showed a different set of information. I will post the screen snaps here...