Windows 10: Problem with earphone jack and socket....

Discus and support Problem with earphone jack and socket.... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Still getting used to Win 10 but due to poorish hearing have always used earphone's with an amplifier on Win7. However on Win 10 the headphone icon by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Arcadian, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Arcadian Win User

Problem with earphone jack and socket....

Still getting used to Win 10 but due to poorish hearing have always used earphone's with an amplifier on Win7. However on Win 10 the headphone icon by the socket on the side of the laptop (Lenovo G50) looks as though it's blanked off, though there is a thin circle around it which looks as though it needs a different type of jack.

Or do I need something completely different....?

Thanks

:)

Arcadian, Apr 13, 2016

2. Lumia 930 music stopping through headphones.

I just figured this is most likely A MECHANICAL ISSUE,
    NOT A SOFTWARE ONE. As you might have noticed, in normal conditions the phone’s music player will stop if you remove the earphone jack during play. I guess the built that capability in so that in case the user drops his
    phone and has the earphone jack disconnected, he will be able to start listening to his music at the exact point before the drop, once he reconnects the jack. Well, what is happening to us all I guess, is that probably due to a mechanical design flaw, the
    Lumia 930 earphone socket after some wear and tear develops some mechanical defect and starts incorrectly informing the software that the socket has been pulled off and thusly the player stops. That’s the logic:

Faulty mechanical part is causing an electrical current interruption --> electrical current interruption tells the software the jack has been removed
    --> when jack is removed software is programmed to stop player
    --> we users get angry because our music stops all of a sudden!

The solution I found was rather crude but effective:

• Alternatively bang the top left corner, top right corner, top front side and top back side of the phone, (basically all around the hole of the earphone socket) against a firm but not too hard surface so as not to damage phone
      casing (in my case, a plastic kitchen cutting board was used). The purpose of this brutality being to release any mechanical springs or other moving parts belonging to the earphone socket that might be stuck

• With a wooden toothpick, jiggle a bit everywhere inside the earphone socket, the purpose being the same: to release any mechanical glitches.

• Remove and insert the earphone jack into socket repeatedly, with the same intent.

After doing all that, if the player is still stopping randomly, a final measure:

• With your earphones on, and earphone jack firmly inserted in socket, start playing any music

• Very slowly, start pulling out the jack from the socket

• You will now hear, over your music playing in the background, crackling sounds generated by your slow pulling of the jack away from the socket

• When jack is pulled out by 1 or 2 millimeters, you will still hear both left and right stereo channels but, since the mechanical parts of socket and jack will be in a different position relative to one another (dislocated by 1
      or 2 mm), in my case at least the player never stopped again.
    Somehow that 1-2 mm dislocation made the electrical contact between jack and socket whole again, so the software never received the false information jack has been removed, thus music plays normally.

The mechanical aspect explains why several in this discussion had the problem solved when they changed to different earphones: the minute shape difference in the different earphone jacks might have been enough to make the electrical contact whole,
    which in this case is the true issue.

Microsoft should check the socket quality it is installing in its Lumia’s. I am pretty sure that if they fix that, that problem will never crop up again.

Hope this long explanation helps you all.

Best regards.

Alexandre Zogbi, Apr 13, 2016
  3. Windows phone 8.1 Denim update - headphone problem

I just figured this is most likely A MECHANICAL ISSUE,
    NOT A SOFTWARE ONE. As you might have noticed, in normal conditions the phone’s music player will stop if you remove the earphone jack during play. I guess the built that capability in so that in case the user drops his
    phone and has the earphone jack disconnected, he will be able to start listening to his music at the exact point before the drop, once he reconnects the jack. Well, what is happening to us all I guess, is that probably due to a mechanical design flaw, the
    Lumia 930 earphone socket after some wear and tear develops some mechanical defect and starts incorrectly informing the software that the socket has been pulled off and thusly the player stops. That’s the logic:

Faulty mechanical part is causing an electrical current interruption --> electrical current interruption tells the software the jack has been removed
    --> when jack is removed software is programmed to stop player
    --> we users get angry because our music stops all of a sudden!

The solution I found was rather crude but effective:

• Alternatively bang the top left corner, top right corner, top front side and top back side of the phone, (basically all around the hole of the earphone socket) against a firm but not too hard surface so as not to damage phone
      casing (in my case, a plastic kitchen cutting board was used). The purpose of this brutality being to release any mechanical springs or other moving parts belonging to the earphone socket that might be stuck

• With a wooden toothpick, jiggle a bit everywhere inside the earphone socket, the purpose being the same: to release any mechanical glitches.

• Remove and insert the earphone jack into socket repeatedly, with the same intent.

After doing all that, if the player is still stopping randomly, a final measure:

• With your earphones on, and earphone jack firmly inserted in socket, start playing any music

• Very slowly, start pulling out the jack from the socket

• You will now hear, over your music playing in the background, crackling sounds generated by your slow pulling of the jack away from the socket

• When jack is pulled out by 1 or 2 millimeters, you will still hear both left and right stereo channels but, since the mechanical parts of socket and jack will be in a different position relative to one another (dislocated by 1
      or 2 mm), in my case at least the player never stopped again.
    Somehow that 1-2 mm dislocation made the electrical contact between jack and socket whole again, so the software never received the false information jack has been removed, thus music plays normally.

The mechanical aspect explains why several in this discussion had the problem solved when they changed to different earphones: the minute shape difference in the different earphone jacks might have been enough to make the electrical contact whole,
    which in this case is the true issue.

Microsoft should check the socket quality it is installing in its Lumia’s. I am pretty sure that if they fix that, that problem will never crop up again.

Hope this long explanation helps you all.

Best regards.

Alexandre Zogbi, Apr 13, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Are you saying that you physically have no place to plug earphones in, or when you do plug them in they don't work?

NavyLCDR, Apr 13, 2016
  5. Arcadian Win User
    Thanks, no place to physically plug them in unless I've missed something somewhere....

Arcadian, Apr 13, 2016
  6. Arcadian Win User
    Also have problem with no sound from speakers either, must be not knowing what to do as I only bought it new a month or so ago. Given up trying to Google it unfortunately ...

Arcadian, Apr 13, 2016
  7. bobkn Win User
    Seems odd. Lenovo's web site shows a standard 3.5 mm audio jack, at the same side (right) of the laptop as the optical drive. (It's listed as a combination jack, that can be used with either headphones or a microphone.)

You don't post which G50 model you have, although I get the impression that all of them have the audio jack.

If no jack is present, inexpensive USB to audio adapters are available. If you check amazon.co.uk, search "usb to audio" (without the quotes). You'll get many devices. The least expensive cost a bit more than one UKP.

bobkn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem with earphone jack and socket.... - Similar Threads - Problem earphone jack

2. headphone jack issue when connecting earphones

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    headphone jack issue when connecting earphones: Hi,I have Windows 11 Inspiron 5584 which recently stopped supporting earphones when connecting them into headphone jack, and instead using the laptop's own speakers for sound when listening to music, watching movie, etc.the only time the headphones do have sound is upon start...
  3. Bluetooth Earphone problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth Earphone problems: Hi,I am using oneplus buds z and I have got a pretty annoying issue!From my earphones sound does not come for 3-4 seconds in between playing something and after 3-4 sec it comes in one earbud and with 2 secs it comes in the other. It is a very irritating issue and i found...
  4. Unresponsive Jack 3,5 mm headphones, earphones and microphones

Unresponsive Jack 3,5 mm headphones, earphones and microphones: Hello...This will probably earn me a hit in the nape, but I tried fixing a microphone issue.My Laptol dell g3 3579 with Nvidia GTX 1050 and Geforce had this issue initially with a non-read microphone from a headset, something that I didn't notice until I was informed that my...
  5. my earphone jack is not working

my earphone jack is not working: Inspiron 5406 2-in-1 my earphone jack is not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-earphone-jack-is-not-working/ff57ecfc-6f96-46f0-8dfe-d509317a4aa2
  6. earphone mic problems

earphone mic problems: i recently bought a temp microphone, its earphones and they have a microphone but the mic is on the ears, like the thing u put in your ears, rather than on the mic itself, the earphones are apple, just the normal earphones and its really annoying me!...
  7. earphone problem

earphone problem: Hello. After applying windows updates i got speaker problem. I plugin my earphones but only sound manager option i get is speakers only. I dont have headphone/earphone device [ATTACH]...
  8. No sound when inserting earphone into audio jack

No sound when inserting earphone into audio jack: Hi guys, there was an upgrade to Wins 10 2004 version and after the upgrade, my sound from audio jack has become distorted. Hence I rolled back to the previous version of Win 10 but problem still persist. After reading some solutions, I tried uninstalling the realtek driver...
  9. Dell Latitude 5401 - Earphone jack intermittently working

Dell Latitude 5401 - Earphone jack intermittently working: Hi there, I have a Dell Latitude 5401 that's earphone jack intermittently working. I plugged earphone in and the laptop picks up on the earphones but when I plug them out and back in, the laptop doesn't recognise them again. The system board has been replaced twice, but...
  10. Headphone jack not detecting earphones after plugged in

Headphone jack not detecting earphones after plugged in: Windows 10 Realted audio There was no problem till december, when i lastly plugged in my earphones. Yesterday, after plugged in, they were not detected by laptop and the song continued in speakers. I checked for drivers and even sound settings, but the only device showing...