Windows 10: Problem with flash drive

Discus and support Problem with flash drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a question about my flash drive. It's a 4GB PNY and usually works with no problem when I plug it in. But lately when I plug it into my laptop (a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Delly10, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Delly10 Win User

Problem with flash drive

I have a question about my flash drive. It's a 4GB PNY and usually works with no problem when I plug it in. But lately when I plug it into my laptop (a 2 month old laptop with Windows 10), it plays a quick tune indicating I plugged it in, but it doesn't actually show up on my screen as available. That's what happened this morning, and I tried both USB ports repeatedly. Now I'm using a different a different computer and now my flash drive registers on the computer with no problem. Also, sometimes I have to plug it in and unplug it several times before it shows up on the screen even on this other computer. Today it had no problem.

Can someone tell me why this stuff happens? Is it a flash drive problem, or a computer problem?

EDIT: Now I'm back on my laptop again and tried the flash drive and it still doesn't appear on the screen. Then I remembered that I have another flash drive that I use as a backup for my files and tried plugging that into my laptop to see if it would work. It didn't. So it appears to be a computer problem after all. Is there a setting that I could change so that I can use a USB flash drive with my laptop again?

I should add that I also inserted a memory card from my digital camera into the memory card slot on the laptop and was surprised that it actually worked. But any USB drive I insert into either one of my USB ports does not work.

EDIT (again): I went to Devices and Printers and found the USB drive. There was a message there saying, "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

The driver could not be loaded because a previous version of the driver is still in memory."

With this information, what should I do to be able to use my flash drive with this computer again?

:)

Delly10, Sep 14, 2016

2. Problem with USB flash drive

Hello.

I have problem with USB flash drives (3-4 of them).

When I put usb flash was ok, I can see in device manager. But when I want to open USB, my windows explorer stuck always on all usb drives, for minute or more, then I need to restart with alt+ctrl+del.

When I open usb drive with Total commander its doing fine, I can see, copy, move, without any problem.

VladimirAranđelović, Sep 14, 2016
  3. Problem with USB flash drive

Hi Vladimir,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Try with a new USB drive or try those USB devices on a different device and check.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Try to run Hardware Troubleshooter. It checks for common issues and makes sure that any new device or hardware attached to your computer was installed correctly.

a. Press Windows Logo Key+X then click on Search option.

b. Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes and click on
    Troubleshooting

c. In the new window, click View all on the left pane.

d. In the list of options, click on Hardware and devices.

e. Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.

Also, try to update the USB drivers from the manufacturers website.

How to update drivers: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/how-to-update-drivers

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Sep 14, 2016
Thema:

Problem with flash drive

1. Problem with flash drive - Similar Threads - Problem flash drive

2. problem with usb flash drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problem with usb flash drives: Hello, it's been since this morning that I've been experiencing this problem with my pc. After taking a USB stick from a friend to get some files, I started to notice a strange behavior from the pc. Every time I insert a USB stick, two things happen: first, the device window...
  3. problem with usb flash drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem with usb flash drives: Hello, it's been since this morning that I've been experiencing this problem with my pc. After taking a USB stick from a friend to get some files, I started to notice a strange behavior from the pc. Every time I insert a USB stick, two things happen: first, the device window...
  4. Flash drive Problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Flash drive Problems: Using a flash drive to download pictures and vidoes. I can down load a certain number of files, then the files on the drive show are in a completely unplayable format. The drives are 2TB so there is plenty of space. Any help would be very appreciated...
  5. FLASH DRIVE PROBLEMS

FLASH DRIVE PROBLEMS: FLASH DRIVE INVALID TIME STAMP FIRST ALLOCATION UNIT IS NOT VALID https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/flash-drive-problems/50c26b71-4312-462f-8cf6-cf0b2f8f499e
  6. Surface - drive flashing flashing problems

Surface - drive flashing flashing problems: I'm having some issues with BalenaEtcher. Every time I try to flash a Raspberry Pi OS image, my computer crashes - When I re-insert the disk, my computer crashes AGAIN. Why is this happening? Here are the minidump files......
  7. Problem with flash drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with flash drive: When i plug my flash drive it say that its read only, I tried to remove it with diskpart ( attributes disk clear readonly ) and it say "Disk attributes cleared successfully.", but when i try to format it, still says that its read only. submitted by /u/Aplicat0r9 [link]...
  8. USB Flash Drive Problem... or ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Flash Drive Problem... or ?: I picked up a Hama brand 128Gb USB2 drive a couple of weeks ago from a reputable component supplier. The drive was retail packaged and I have no doubts over its authenticity. When used on my Dell i5 laptop running W10 insider builds I find the drive freezes when transferring...
  9. Problem with flash drive

Problem with flash drive: I use a Dell Inspiron 5379 laptop and a flash drive that has an issue. When I tried to transfer a 2 GB folder, the process stopped at 60% and stuck. Then I heard a sound like USB disconnecting and reconnecting continue. The files are not corrupted but the issue persists. I...
  10. USB Flash Drive Problem

USB Flash Drive Problem: Hey guys, So, I have this 8 GB USB Flash Drive which is completely empty, no hidden files/folders, nothing. But it says that around 1 GB is used - Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet Why is that? Can I free up that memory? Not that it's very important, but I...