Windows 10: Problem with Flash Drives and My External Hard Drive

Discus and support Problem with Flash Drives and My External Hard Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I apologize if this is not in the right forum, but I am having a problem with using flash drives and my external hard drive. While saving files (like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by FedoraMan, Feb 24, 2017.

1. FedoraMan Win User

Problem with Flash Drives and My External Hard Drive

I apologize if this is not in the right forum, but I am having a problem with using flash drives and my external hard drive. While saving files (like doing a back up) my computer which is an HP Notebook, the system will just drop the drive and then will find it again, and drop it again, and find it again - over and over. I am not able to finish my back ups. Can anyone help?

:)

FedoraMan, Feb 24, 2017
  2. teazintaz Win User

How do I get Windows 10 to recognize my external hard drive?

1. when I plug in the external hard drive the light on the hard drive flashes and I get no response from my computer that I plugged it in.

2. My external hard drive is a Toshiba Canvio USB 3 (B) 750 GB

3. Yes. I've connected to all 3 usb ports and the only thing that happens is the light on the external hard drive flashes. The computer says the hard drive has the most current driver and that the hard drive is working properly.

teazintaz, Feb 24, 2017
  3. whn I insert my external hard drive and play a movie there is a message on screen from windows script host saying cannot find script file F:\.Trashes\872\lktfm.jse

how old is the "external hard drive" (flash drive)?

does the "external hard drive" belong to you or...?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Feb 24, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Anything else on usb ports could be a power problem?

Samuria, Feb 24, 2017
  5. FedoraMan Win User
    The two ports in question I use also for running my laptop cooler fan while I am gaming as well as my mouse, and that never has a problem. If you mean power to the ports that is?

FedoraMan, Feb 24, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    If'n it twere me I'd get a Self-Powered USB Hub, either USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 depending upon your devices, will eliminate the power issue. Should give 4 ports but there's some with more.

Berton, Feb 24, 2017
  7. RolandJS Win User
    Ac adapter supplying power where needed to an external usb hub containing four or more usb ports -- a very good idea! I've also been doing that for some time now.

RolandJS, Feb 24, 2017
  8. FedoraMan Win User

Thank you all for your responses. I figured out the problem on my own. I have a USB powered Opolar cooler for my laptop, and every time it kicks on, it disrupts all other ports. Unplugging that while doing back-ups resolved the issue. I hope this at least helps anyone else with a similar problem. Thanks again.

FedoraMan, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem with Flash Drives and My External Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Problem Flash Drives

2. External Hard Drive Problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive Problems: External Hard connects to pc sound when connecting but is not shown in My PC on explorer - how do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-problems/2c02eed4-8548-4518-b309-27e1c253e5d6
  3. External Hard Drive Problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Problems: External Hard connects to pc sound when connecting but is not shown in My PC on explorer - how do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-problems/2c02eed4-8548-4518-b309-27e1c253e5d6
  4. External hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive problem: I had been using my hard drive for a year and a half and today my laptop suddenly stopped detecting it even when it appears on the Devices under Settings. I tried every trick that's usually given like checking if the drivers were up-to-date if the USB cable was the problem,...
  5. External hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive problem: I had been using my hard drive for a year and a half and today my laptop suddenly stopped detecting it even when it appears on the Devices under Settings. I tried every trick that's usually given like checking if the drivers were up-to-date if the USB cable was the problem,...
  6. External hard drive problem

7. Setting Up External Hard Drive as a Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting Up External Hard Drive as a Flash Drive: Someone gave me an old hard disk. I have an external hard drive enclosure. I put them together and plugged the external drive into my laptop. From Windows Explorer I can see the old hard disk. It has two partitions. F: and G:Recovery. The data is on the F: drive....
  8. Using a flash-drive or external hard drive

Using a flash-drive or external hard drive: Recently every time I try to use a flash-drive or an external hard drive, I get this message. I don't have a problem using the logitech wireless adaptor for my mouse/keyboard but when I insert a flash-drive or external hard drive this pops up. [ATTACH]...
  9. External hard drive problem

External hard drive problem: I have 2TB seaget hard disk (HD) . As soon as I attach my hard disk to surface go it shows 100% performance in task manager with 0 reading and writing speed. No antivirus is working as I start scanning it, it stays at 0% for long time until it detaches itself. Even the...
  10. Flash drives recognized but external hard drives are not

Flash drives recognized but external hard drives are not: My Windows 10 Home laptop will recognize all of my flash drives but won't recognize any of my external hard drives. They all use to show up but now they aren't. The hard drives show up in disk manager but won't show up in file explorer. I hooked them up to other laptops &...