Windows 10: Problem with homegroup

Discus and support Problem with homegroup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently installed win 10 on all our home computers 2 laptops and 4 desktops. before win 10 we had a homegroup and were sharing printers etc now the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bigbobh, Aug 4, 2015.

1. bigbobh Win User

Problem with homegroup

I recently installed win 10 on all our home computers 2 laptops and 4 desktops. before win 10 we had a homegroup and were sharing printers etc now the homegroups seem to have gotten totally messed up with the install of win 10. Three of our computers are win 10 home and 3 are windows 10 pro. When I go into homegroup it says You have been invited to join a homegroup and when I go the computer that it was supposedly set up on it has same message but sends me back to the other one to get the password. Cannot get past password screen because there appears to be no way possible to retrieve the password from any of the 6 computers and they all have the same message about being invited to join and to enter password. It is driving us nuts. Isnt there any way possible to just start the whole homegroup process over and to set it up on one computer and then go to the others and join? Also 3 of the computers are 32 bit and 3 are 64 bit if that makes difference.
    Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Bob H

:)

bigbobh, Aug 4, 2015

2. W10 Upgrade has changed file types

I have just had the latest big W10 upgrade and discovered it has changed my Word documents to Office Open XML files.

Can anyone tell me why this was done and whether there is a quick fix. Obviously I can use 'Open with' to get them back into Word. However then this involves duplicate documents.

Homegroup problem, Aug 4, 2015
  3. Cannot connect to homegroup after Windows Updates

This did not solve the problem. We were able to solve the problem by going to another computer on the homegroup and deleted the computer that could not connect to the homegroup from the homegroup. After that I was able to connect to the homegroup from
    the 'problem' laptop.

JulieSalyer, Aug 4, 2015
  4. bigbobh Win User

Problem with homegroup

This problem seems to have resolved itself. On Aug 5 Microsoft did an update and on the morning of Aug 6 the homegroup function was working properly on all my pcs so I have no Idea what happened .

bigbobh, Aug 5, 2015
  5. apvm Win User
    I have the same problem but no luck for me on the Aug 5 update. All my computers are invited to join but by who? Old password does not work.

apvm, Sep 3, 2015
  6. apvm Win User
    Finally fixed.

1) Turn off all computers and reboot the one that you wanted to set up the homegroup.
    2) After reboot, that computer will changed from "you are invited to join homegroup" to "create a homegroup"
    3) create a homegroup
    4) turn the other computer on one by one and join homegroup with password.

apvm, Sep 3, 2015
  7. This solved it! Thanks!

Ron Chandler, Oct 19, 2015
  8. JohnRF Win User

Problem with homegroup

After days of searching, I found this solution worked for me. Thanks Ken429:
    Home network discovery not working after latest W10 Update - Page 12 - Windows 10 Forums
    Post #111

JohnRF, Dec 12, 2015
  9. VIthe3rd Win User
    I guess I am gonna drag up an old subject here.

So I did the final 10 upgrade about 2 weeks ago on 3 of my machines. Now Homegroup is not working. I have gone through steps from multiple sites with no luck at getting this working.

Here is the break down.

Laptop
    Media Center
    Main PC

I want the Main PC to be the creator of the Home Group.
    For some reason the laptop wants to be the creator of the home group. So I shut it down.

Now I went to create the home group on my main pc and it says its already created. The twist is that it says that my Main PC is the home group creator and that the only options is to join or close. This is on my pc that I want it to be created on.

I am Stumped.

VIthe3rd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Problem with homegroup

1. Problem with homegroup - Similar Threads - Problem homegroup

2. Homegroup problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Homegroup problems: Respected, I have some issues with the homegroup. My computer is the main one and i created the homegroup. I have bought a new computer and when i wanted to connect with my homegroup, it is written that windows online troubleshooting service is disabled. So i cannot add...
  3. How to solve frustrating homegroup problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to solve frustrating homegroup problem: Im running w10 on a desktop and laptop and having problems connecting to my homegroup (HG) but having problems setting up a homegroupUsing my old pw did not work. When I tried to set up another HG I was given a new pw, but entering it on my laptop I received user name and pw...
  4. HomeGroup problem

HomeGroup problem: hi all. this is my first post so be gentle please....*Smile My Problem:- When I turn on my pc the first screen that shows up is the stock windows 10 screen....... however, there is a box with 'HomeUserGroup$' and a request for a password (This is to get to my personal...
  5. Homegroup problem - accessing shares asks for credentials

Homegroup problem - accessing shares asks for credentials: Well, this problem is making me NUTS... Several PCs in my store.. some running W7 starter, some W10 Home pro. A few days ago suddenly I could no longer access a folder on another W10 computer, where we tend to store a lot of important documents. The computer where the...
  6. Another Windows 10 HomeGroup problem

Another Windows 10 HomeGroup problem: Hi Several months ago I created a Home Group and all was working fine. I hadn't made use of it in a while and the password has since gone from my memory. The problem I'm having is I can see under the Network tab that both PC's are connected but I am unable to...
  7. Homegroup and Network Sharing problem after motherboard upgrade.

Homegroup and Network Sharing problem after motherboard upgrade.: Hi guys, I replaced my motherboard a couple of days ago and didn't go the route of doing a fresh install as is always suggested but everything is working fine except the Homegroup and Network sharing. Beforehand everything was sharing OK but now PC 1 can only see the...
  8. Homegroup problem (deeper than i thought)

Homegroup problem (deeper than i thought): Windows 10 both pc's. -I have a desktop pc ( I call it A) and a laptop (I call it B). In the past B was part of a homegroup (with another pc). B is not a part of any homegroup (i left the previous one). When i go to settings it says i can create a homegroup. Now about A....
  9. Problem connecting to other PC using Homegroup.

Problem connecting to other PC using Homegroup.: I have Windows 10 installed on my Laptop and I have connected it to my Desktop PC running Windows 7 using Homegroup. I have enabled Advanced Sharing but still I am unable to connect to my Desktop PC from Laptop. I am showing a video regarding this issue : j8K8fOcPEp4...
  10. Several problem with homegroup

Several problem with homegroup: Hi, I have 2 PCs running Windows 10 (Computer A and Computer B). They are fully updates. Both computers are join to the same homegroup. I just create the homegroup. 1. What was Strange: If I was creating the homegroup on Computer B then Computer A was seeing the offer...