Windows 10: Problem with icons going white and file access denied issues

Discus and support Problem with icons going white and file access denied issues in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I formatted my drive, quickly installed Windows 7 Home with my serial, then instantly upgraded to Windows 10 without using 7 other than to install 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BlizzardUK, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Problem with icons going white and file access denied issues

I formatted my drive, quickly installed Windows 7 Home with my serial, then instantly upgraded to Windows 10 without using 7 other than to install 10. I am getting really annoying errors. Everytime I try and either rename a icon, or the C drive name then I am told access is denied, I can click continue to make it work but it is annoying. I have the word administrator under my name, so I know I am in the admin account. I am logged in using my hotmail account. Also oddly this doesn't happen to every icon on my dekstop, just some, no idea why, all have been installed around the same time.

Also, some icons keeps going white, I have installed 2 different backup software and the icons are fine at first, but within minutes or upon reboot they turn white. I look in the target folder the EXE's have also turned white. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software multiple times and get the same issue. EDIT : Just noticed, the icons that go white are the ones that I rename and ask for the permission. Icons I rename that don't ask for permission do not go white. The white icons will happen upon reset or refresh. If I do not rename the icons they stay fine.

I have looked in security settings and the admin section has full access with everything ticked. Any ideas what is going on ? I have now just reinstalled everything again so I would hate to have to start from scratch yet again. Thanks for any help. Images attached.

Problem with icons going white and file access denied issues [​IMG]

:)

BlizzardUK, Aug 6, 2017
  2. Keerah Win User

After Upgrading to The Anniversary all modern apps icons are white

After Upgrading to The Anniversary Win 10 update all modern apps icons on my both PCs became white.

Even in the the taskbar menu the icon for settings is white. They actually have the icon sign which is white, but it's on white background. Edge's sign is blue (on the taskbar) but has a white box background as well. But icons that are white are completely
    indistinguishable, and thus almost unusable.

I saw some people report this issue on Win 10, some of them solved it by gaining read access to WindowsApps folder (just by entering it with confirming the access) in Program Files folder. But my system denies any access to it. What should I do, it really
    breaks the experience.

Creating a new user leads to the same problem, and I definitely don't use high contrast mode

Please do not suggest Icon cache rebuild, SFC check and the script fixing Modern Apps. I've already tried them all. It's a bug

Keerah, Aug 6, 2017
  3. Gege1692 Win User
    Windows 10 -- start menu and taskbar problem

All it keeps saying when I eneter this is Access Denied I tried a few times and even after that I try to just hit enter and it does nothing but back to the command prompt?

My problem is my hyperlinks to my icons no longer work and they appear as white pages only? Any ideas? Thanks

Gege1692, Aug 6, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Problem with icons going white and file access denied issues

Hi, first, I guess you weren't aware of this which could have saved you time:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

from the extensive tutorial section here, which you're free to browse and search.

As it's a new install, it's hardly worth trying the standard repair procedures. Rather, it would seem something is corrupted by changes you've made. So here's what I suggest:

First check your disk:
    Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI.
    If ok, proceed.

Note: it's quite possible someone who's seen these symptoms may have a specific idea and suggest a solution. I've done a quick search of the forum without immediate success, and don't recall quite this set of symptoms- but equally haven't read every post!

Follow the above tutorial to give yourself the cleanest possible outcome.
    When Windows is up and running, check you do not have that problem.
    Before you install anything else,
    - enable System Restore
    - create a base disk image of Windows, the first of the disk image set you will routinely update. Why?
    We strongly and repeatedly advocate disk imaging so you have a second chance by recovering from difficult or impossible to resolve problems, even disk failure. (see below).

Now, as you start to install progs and configure your system, keep a simple record of changes, and keep checking to see if the problem recurs.

If it does, you should be able to identify why. And you have two possible ways to recover.

Of course, you could just try to identify the problem, or use a restore point if you have any.

Here's my write-up on the value of disk imaging.

Everyone who contributes regularly here uses and recommends disk imaging.

If you use it, you can recover from:
    - a failed disk drive (restore to a new one)
    - ransomware (which encrypts your disk)
    - user error
    - unrecoverable problems from failed updates to problem programs
    - unbootable PC (hardware faults aside)

Images also act as a full backup- you can extract files too.

You can even use images to help you move more easily and quickly to a new PC.
    Can be used with Laplink software to transfer your build automatically to another PC

Imaging can even help you sleep at night knowing you have a second chance.

Creating disk images lets you restore Windows and all your imaged disks and partitions to a previous working state from compressed copies you have created and kept updated on external storage media, quickly and probably without technical help.

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a good robust solution and more reliable than some others. It’s
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - more reliable
    than Windows Backup and Restore system images.

It's well supported with videos, help and a responsive forum.

There are other such programs, free/commercial, some with simpler interfaces, but Macrium R is one of the most robust and reliable.

How long does it take?
    SSD+ USB3 - maybe 15 mins for the first system image, less thereafter
    HDD + USB2 - maybe 40-50 mins
    That’s with little personal data, few programs installed.
    - of course, depends how much you have on C:
    (You can and should image all your partitions and disks)

Once you've created your first image, keep it updated with e.g. differential imaging- which images just changes from the first image, more quickly, and creates a smaller image file.

You need a backup medium - say- twice as large as the total amount of data you are imaging to keep a reasonable number of differential images. This will vary dependent on the number of images you keep, so is only a rough practical guide.

Some comment that system restore isn't always reliable; if it works and solves the problem, great. But sometimes restores won't work or fail. And of course a restore point only covers a limited number of aspects of the system. That’s where disk imaging comes in.

(There's a tutorial on Macrium in the Tutorials section, and a couple of videos in the user videos section on this forum)
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials
    Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members

dalchina, Aug 7, 2017
  5. Thanks. Well I decided to scrap the installtion and fully formatted the hard disk again, I made sure I wrote down the new Windows 10 key from the upgrade so I could use it on the new installation. So I downloaded a Win 10 ISO, put it in, formatted C drive, and installed totally fresh. Guess what ? SAME problem, I still have to allow permissions for any renaming of files on the C drive and desktop icons. Also the Back-Up software icons will still vanish when renamed. So I formatted again and tried again with all USB external drives pulled out and network pulled out and without signing in to a MS account. SAME again. Talk about puzzling.

Although I backedup the C drive before formatting I decided to reinstall fresh as I messed with some file permissions and couldn't get TrustedInstaller back for C drive. I system restored and this put TrustedInstaller back as owner of Windows and Program Files, but the C drive was still showing as me as owneer which I don't think it should, so I guess system restore only fixed anything related to the Windows directories. I probably could have coped but everywhere says the root on C drive should be TrustedInstaller too, so I just formatted again. It may be something to do with another drive, because although I didn't know what I was doing I thought I might as well experiment now I was going to scrap and start again, so I tried to change the inheritance and it warned about getting inherited permissions from drive E: or something, but it still didn't change anything after.

So I guess I am going to just have to deal with the permission issue, I tried both a DVD ISO and also a download upgrade, both gave the same permission issue. I can just click "continue" each time, it is just annoying. I don't have to do this on my other Windows 10 PC and can't see the reason for the differences.

But, now I have another problem, I am getting no overlays in Windows Explorer for OneDrive. It is not the 10/15 limit as I have made sure the SkyDrive (it is listed as SkyDrive for some reason in RegEdit) entries are near the top and they didn't even work as the only cloud storage installed as it came with it included in the ISO. It worked fine on the first installation with the upgrade (but those were listed as OneDrive). Any ideas how I get the icons to work ? I tried to reinstall the software but no help. Could it be because the registry shows it as SkyDrive ? But if so, I would image this would be a major problem for more than just me. Any ideas ? The only info I see online is about the entry limits, but I checked that.

BlizzardUK, Aug 7, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, how many disks do you have in your PC?

Are there any with other Windows installations on them?

Could you post a screenshot of your disks & partitions - Minitool Partition Wizard is a good choice- expand the columns so all text is visible.
    Thanks.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Problem with icons going white and file access denied issues

1. Problem with icons going white and file access denied issues - Similar Threads - Problem icons going

2. Access to file denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access to file denied: Files from previous account held in new account but access denied https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-to-file-denied/68d6af4c-32bd-4077-885c-45af79360b2e
  3. Access to file denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access to file denied: Files from previous account held in new account but access denied https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-to-file-denied/68d6af4c-32bd-4077-885c-45af79360b2e
  4. File Access Denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Access Denied: I am trying to add a comment to a URL shortcut on my desktop. So, I right click the file, choose Properties, then Details. I fill in the Description field. I hit Apply and get: File Access Denied - You'll need to provide administrator permission to apply properties to this...
  5. Unable to execute file, access is denied problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to execute file, access is denied problem: I downloaded an installer of a known animating program directly from their website. I installed it successfully and were able to use and normally. That was the month before this problem showed up. Now, when I open the program, it won't let me use it because of an error....
  6. single file access denied issue in mapped drive

single file access denied issue in mapped drive: Windows 10 professional system, with mapped drive to server 2016 essentials server, with AD. All applications are working correctly with the exception of a single folder. All paths and permissions map out correctly, and user can create & delete files and folders on the...
  7. Folder access denied issue

Folder access denied issue: [ATTACH] When I try to delete this folder, I get an error saying "Folder access denied". I am an administrator but it does not allow me to delete the folder. I need to delete it because my Microsoft Edge is no longer functioning and would like to reinstall it via...
  8. Access denied to folders and files

in Windows 10 Support
    Access denied to folders and files: Runnin win 10 since 2 weeks. Trying to copy all files from external HD to new second internal HD. some files copied no problem, other files and folders will either not copy (administrator rights) or are outright "access denied". All are films, no programs. I got full...
  9. File Access Denied

in Windows 10 Support
    File Access Denied: I get the following message when I try to 'save, 'save as' or 'paste': File Access Denied You require permission from Unix User\nobody to make changes to this file. I have no idea was to what causes this nor have I made any security changes. Any ideas? 29590
  10. Access denied issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Access denied issues: *Mad I really really need help. Either I'm the most dense human breathing or win 10 is to blame. I have tried everything I can to set sharing as admin. and I just keep getting access denied. It will accept my change but will not allow it after clicking OK. Always some...