Windows 10: Problem with loosing the desktop and windows function after 5 mins

Discus and support Problem with loosing the desktop and windows function after 5 mins in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Dell XPS that I had upgraded to Windows 10 over a year ago. Everything was going fine until today when I started the computer, Logged in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kitanis, Apr 13, 2017.

1. kitanis Win User

Problem with loosing the desktop and windows function after 5 mins

I have a Dell XPS that I had upgraded to Windows 10 over a year ago.

Everything was going fine until today when I started the computer, Logged in and was reading a web page and suddenly my desktop and task bar dissapeared.

I have been fighting this for most of the day. I can re-start the computer, log in and upon start up, operate the computer as normal. But after five minutes of doing anything, if I am in desktop or windows file manager. suddenly the screen goes dark and you can do nothing except control-alt-delete and reboot. If I am in a web browser I can continue to surf the Internet but can not do anything outside of the browser.

I tried the following:

Check control panel. Made sure that the computer power settings were set to not sleeping or powering down. Ensured that the computer would not go into Hibernation mode.

Checked and ensured that the tablet mode is turned off.

Ran complete malware check, no issue.

Any other settings or idea that I can do?

I am a above average windows user as I once worked as a client side administrator in the USAF but this one has me stumped.

Any suggestions would be greately appreciated.

:)

kitanis, Apr 13, 2017
  2. stuh1 Win User

N8 screen saver not working.

The shut down and leave for 5 mins worked for me!

I didn't try the other suggestion of pressing and holding the on/off button for 10 secs. This previously caused me to loose the home screens which reset to default content after lots of customising!

The lock and unlock didn't work.

stuh1, Apr 13, 2017
  3. NEShaaN Win User
    After playing 5-10 mins Games freezes and exits automatically in windows 10

Hello Andre,

Here is the recent application error logs:

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 30-Oct-17 8:59:27 PM

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: ShaaN

Description:

Faulting application name: DespicableMe_w8.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5836cc0a

Faulting module name: DespicableMe_w8.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5836cc0a

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x001dbaa2

Faulting process id: 0xc10

Faulting application start time: 0x01d35191bbe1eeff

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\GAMELOFTSA.DespicableMeMinionRush_4.1.1.6_x86__0pp20fcewvvtj\DespicableMe_w8.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\GAMELOFTSA.DespicableMeMinionRush_4.1.1.6_x86__0pp20fcewvvtj\DespicableMe_w8.exe

Report Id: b46158ef-f177-4629-a6e5-2134015b1f28

Faulting package full name: GAMELOFTSA.DespicableMeMinionRush_4.1.1.6_x86__0pp20fcewvvtj

Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-10-30T15:14:27.295181400Z" />

<EventRecordID>2231</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>ShaaN</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>DespicableMe_w8.exe</Data>

<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>

<Data>5836cc0a</Data>

<Data>DespicableMe_w8.exe</Data>

<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>

<Data>5836cc0a</Data>

<Data>c0000005</Data>

<Data>001dbaa2</Data>

<Data>c10</Data>

<Data>01d35191bbe1eeff</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\GAMELOFTSA.DespicableMeMinionRush_4.1.1.6_x86__0pp20fcewvvtj\DespicableMe_w8.exe</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\GAMELOFTSA.DespicableMeMinionRush_4.1.1.6_x86__0pp20fcewvvtj\DespicableMe_w8.exe</Data>

<Data>b46158ef-f177-4629-a6e5-2134015b1f28</Data>

<Data>GAMELOFTSA.DespicableMeMinionRush_4.1.1.6_x86__0pp20fcewvvtj</Data>

<Data>App</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

and I am using Acer Aspire F5 573G model with Windows 10 installed, version 1709 updated few days ago from 1703.

And I'm pretty sure that I have the latest display drivers installed. Let me know if you find any solution.

NEShaaN, Apr 13, 2017
  4. SoFine409 Win User

Hi kianis and welcome to the forum. Did you look through the event logs and see what was going on right before the problem occured? Sounds like it's happened enough times that you might be able to see the same pattern repeating. Also have any new drivers been installed recently? If so you could try rolling them back. I notice that you say you've upgraded to Win 10, did you ever do a clean install? Upgrades are notoriously problematic. Reinstalling all your apps can be a real pain but sometimes a clean install solves a variety of issues.
    Bob

SoFine409, Apr 13, 2017
  5. kitanis Win User
    Hey thank you Bob..

I really do not know what happened but I have not installed anything in the last month before this happened.. Today I did let the computer upgrade my NVIDA drivers but that was after I noticed the black out problem.

I checked the invent logs and low and behold I had several winsvrhost errors.. Called another friend and we found out that Somehow I ended up with a item of malware that got past my daily Malware Antibyte scan and Super Spyware scan... It altered it.

I ended up using Reimage repair that my buddy swore by it.. and in the last hour the desktop seems fixed after letting the program run.

Issue is closed and I have checked my girlfriends browsing habits and history.. I think that was the point of entry.

Thank you for asking and thank everyone for looking at my post.. I am having fun reading the rest of the postings on this forum and already learned a trick or two while doing it.

kitanis, Apr 13, 2017
  6. kitanis Win User
    I will also add.. that at the time I posted on these forums. I was a little desperate and distraught.. I apologize to all.

kitanis, Apr 13, 2017
  7. SoFine409 Win User
    Great news that you got it fixed. Have fun in the forums. So many knowledgeable people here.
    Bob

SoFine409, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem with loosing the desktop and windows function after 5 mins - Similar Threads - Problem loosing desktop

2. Windows 11 gets locked after 5 mins of inactivity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 gets locked after 5 mins of inactivity: Hello!Checked all possible solutions, settings and registry entries, set everywhere 60 mins, still gets locked after 5 minutes. Computer managed by intune where admin set the corresponding policy to 60 minutes as well, but laptop gets compliance error.Any ideas, where windows...
  3. Windows 11 gets locked after 5 mins of inactivity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 gets locked after 5 mins of inactivity: Hello!Checked all possible solutions, settings and registry entries, set everywhere 60 mins, still gets locked after 5 minutes. Computer managed by intune where admin set the corresponding policy to 60 minutes as well, but laptop gets compliance error.Any ideas, where windows...
  4. Desktop loose the printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop loose the printer: Hi to all.I'm facing a strange issue.In one of our desktop we facing this issue.User randomly lost the printer.The desktop is a Dell OptiPlex 7040 without Lpt port.I had try 2 different Pci-Ex card to LPT and one cable Usb to LPTAll with the same result.After the installation...
  5. Desktop loose the printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop loose the printer: Hi to all.I'm facing a strange issue.In one of our desktop we facing this issue.User randomly lost the printer.The desktop is a Dell OptiPlex 7040 without Lpt port.I had try 2 different Pci-Ex card to LPT and one cable Usb to LPTAll with the same result.After the installation...
  6. FiveM crash in 5 min?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FiveM crash in 5 min?: I play about 4 months on FiveM. Since last week my FiveM crashes after about an hour and then every 5 minutes. What could be the reason? I installed it completely new yesterday. FiveM crasht alle 5 minuten?
  7. HP Envy 6 WiFi Drops from 5 mins to 5 mins

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HP Envy 6 WiFi Drops from 5 mins to 5 mins: Hi guys, My HP Envy 6 laptop's WiFi connection is dropping from around 5 mins to 5 mins. I have to reconnect it manually each time. I suspect this might be an outdated driver issue. I'm aware Windows 10 isn't officially supported for my model and there aren't any win10...
  8. min and max screen functions

in Windows 10 Customization
    min and max screen functions: I can't use the min the little box between the close X and reduce to task bar -} in the upper right corner how do I fix that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/min-and-max-screen-functions/68d00f45-b2fb-4a3b-be95-ee10c94448a5
  9. Windows 10 reactivation after 5 min. reinstall. Help solve the problem.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 reactivation after 5 min. reinstall. Help solve the problem.: My greetings everyone! I got a big problem for a foolish mistake... So, i just set-up my new PC, bought Windows 10 Pro License, created USB with Win 10 from Official site and started the installation. I enterned my Software Key, walked away and when I came back I saw a black...
  10. Internet connection drops 5 mins after starting Windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet connection drops 5 mins after starting Windows: Hi. I have a Windows 10 desktop which I built my self 2 years ago, with no issues or problems at all until today. My Internet connection drops 5 mins after starting windows, even less than 5 mins. I've always used ethernet connection. I've tried these solutions:...