Windows 10: problem with lost icons and start button

Discus and support problem with lost icons and start button in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been using windows 10 for a few months now and this problem has happened twice now. The computer starts running very slowly and when I click on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bertlo, Mar 8, 2016.

1. bertlo Win User

problem with lost icons and start button

I have been using windows 10 for a few months now and this problem has happened twice now. The computer starts running very slowly and when I click on the start button = nothing happens so there is no way to shut the machine down except to shut it off. Also, I have lost the icons on the bottom of the screen. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I tried to reload 10 but it got hung up and said it was checking for updates for an hour so I stopped the download.

:)

bertlo, Mar 8, 2016

2. Problem with Start Button and search button

Hi Roza,

From the screen short I understand that you are able to access the Start button as the click on it works.

Do let us know what is the exact issue you are facing in accessing the Start button and Search bar?

If you are unable to access the Start button, this seems that the System files might got corrupted.

I recommend you to refer to the Microsoft Help article below that suggests to check for the updates and run the troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing the Start menu with brief description for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 8, 2016
  3. Problem with Start Button and search button

Thanks for your help. I think my computer has a virus, because I am not able to reset my PC.

RozaBulyaki, Mar 8, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello and welcome to TenForums *Smile

I have also experienced this behaviour and it usually happens just after a windows cumulative update or when a W10 app like Mail and Calendar has just been updated.

I think it has something to do with the Windows Shell Experience Host. One method you can try is to locate the Windows Explorer process in Task Manager, select it and click on the Restart button at the bottom. Wait for a while and you should see the icons start to appear again. This can take a minute or two so be patient. If it does not help a restart usually does the trick.

problem with lost icons and start button [​IMG]

philc43, Mar 8, 2016
  5. bertlo Win User
    Thanks, I will try it next time. Turned the computer on this afternoon and everything is back to normal. Can't figure why but I am not going to complain.

bertlo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. problem with lost icons and start button - Similar Threads - problem lost icons

2. problem with start icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem with start icons: for a long, i could pin any folder or app in the start menu, but lately no additional app can be added to the list, i don't know if it's a problem of my device or it's an update from microsoft. please tell me what's wrong?...
  3. Windows Start Icon/Button

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Start Icon/Button: I noticed that the Windows Start icon and the Start button do not work at all. Is there a setting I need to change? When I click the start icon to see all of my apps it doesn't work. So then I tried the start button on the keyboard, and that doesn't work either. How can I fix...
  4. Problems with the start button.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems with the start button.: Hey there, I'm having an issue with my pc where if i let it idle for more than 10 minutes or so, the start button stops working and if try to restart windows explorer it just crashes entirely. The pc also gets stuck if i try and shut it down or restart it after it's the...
  5. START BUTTON Problem

START BUTTON Problem: Hi, about one month ago after last updating my PC's START BUTTON does not work! I did anything the I searched about this problem but I could not fix it and also surprisingly RUN as administrator disappeared. how can I fix it? please help me. Thank you....
  6. Problems with Windows start button

Problems with Windows start button: Since last update I have not been able to use the Windows start button. It stays gray/black all the time. Only able to right click, but does not open with normal click. [ATTACH] I have tried all the normal things to restart windows, checked upgrades etc. Nothing has changed...
  7. problem trying to open start button icon on my computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    problem trying to open start button icon on my computer: I can not open start button icon or the date button icon on my computer and contana what is the problem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-trying-to-open-start-button-icon-on-my/87760864-010e-4f44-aafe-3843c7de7adf
  8. problem start button

problem start button: I cant press the windows button on the bottom left and i cant click on the magnifying glass...... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-start-button/7814b9ac-ac26-41ff-aaf1-6686855aa31b
  9. Start Button Icon Locations

Start Button Icon Locations: Where does Windows store the start button icons/assets images? They are in the MSStyles in the themes folder. 79375
  10. Problems with start button

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with start button: Just taken delivery of a new HP Pavilion x2 detachable 10-n000na and having trouble at times powering up.The power button hardly protrudes from the case and sometimes when I press the button it fails to respond.Is there any sequence for start up that I am failing to use. 27316