Windows 10: Problem with Outlook 2016 not remembering default PDF app choice

Discus and support Problem with Outlook 2016 not remembering default PDF app choice in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I would check Staret => Settings => Apps => Apps and features => scroll down to Office => left click once => Modify Should bring up a repair . .... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Victek, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Victek Win User

Problem with Outlook 2016 not remembering default PDF app choice

Thanks, I've passed this along. I'll post again when I get results.

Victek, Apr 5, 2018
  2. Victek Win User

I have a customer who subscribed to Office 365 and downloaded the Office 2016 applications. She also has Adobe Acrobat Reader installed. She is using Outlook for email and when she opens PDF attachments Outlook shows a list of apps which could be used. Adobe Acrobat Reader is shown as the default PDF handler at the top of the list (I confirmed by checking the file associations for all Acrobat file types). There's a box at the bottom of the list that says "remember this choice" and the problem is Outlook doesn't remember. Every time she tries to open a PDF attachment Outlook shows the list. The PDFs do open, but it's a nuisance that I want to try to fix. TIA for any help.

:)

Victek, Apr 24, 2018
  3. Windows 10 mail

Sounds like the default isn't specified as Outlook 2016. Here's how to change it:

• Search for "default" using the Cortana/Search box and choose Default App Settings
    • Click the Mail option, then choose Outlook 2016 in the popup choice list

Done!

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Apr 24, 2018
  4. Problem with Outlook 2016 not remembering default PDF app choice

Outlook 2016 cannot remember default photo programs?

I'm having the exact same issue on 4 different computers. Windows 10 Pro , Office 2016 Version 1709

No matter what way you set the default image program (not just Windows Photo Viewer) Outlook does not remember your default selection, despite clicking "always use this app". I have also set the default application in "default app settings". The issue is
    only occurring in Outlook and nowhere else, i.e. I can click an image file on the desktop and it opens with the correct program.

All the "fixes" are to go to default apps and select it there. This does not work. The issue is with Outlook and it calling the default application to open, whatever's occurring it's not remembering the "default" application or keeps querying what's the
    default application.

Rob O' Rourke, Apr 24, 2018
  5. I might try setting the default to something else, restarting and then changing to Adobe. Hopefully all flags will be set properly.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 24, 2018
  6. Victek Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder though if the issue actually has anything to do with the Adobe Reader? When I first observed the problem Edge was showing as the default PDF reader in Outlook's drop down list. It was possible to select Adobe Reader from the list, but even though we put a check in the box for Outlook to remember the choice it didn't. After setting the Adobe Reader as the default in Control Panel/Default Programs/ the icon on PDF files changed to the Adobe Reader icon and it replaced Edge as the first app in Outlook's drop down list, however Outlook continues to ask and doesn't save the choice.

One thing I wanted to try was repairing Microsoft Office, but strangely there is no entry in Programs and Features. I wonder if there's a way to run the repair from the command line?

Victek, Apr 24, 2018
  7. Sheltieuk Win User
    If it's Office 365 that she's using, I see an option to repair in Programs and features for my Office 365 install, find the entry for Office 365 and right click on it you'll see an option to Uninstall and Change if you select Change you should have the option to do a quick repair or an online repair.

Sheltieuk, Apr 24, 2018
  8. Victek Win User

I did check and there is no entry for Office 365. Thanks for confirming that the link is supposed to be there.

Victek, Apr 24, 2018
  9. I would check Staret => Settings => Apps => Apps and features => scroll down to Office => left click once => Modify

Should bring up a repair

Caledon Ken, Apr 24, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem with Outlook 2016 not remembering default PDF app choice - Similar Threads - Problem Outlook 2016

2. Make Outlook 2016 Remember Window Size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Make Outlook 2016 Remember Window Size: I prefer not to have Outlook take up my whole screen. For some reason, since reinstalling Windows and Office 365, I cannot get Outlook to remember the window size no matter what I do. Things I've tried: control + clicking red X, right clicking on the title bar and choosing...
  3. What are the default folder names in Outlook 2016?

in Browsers and Email
    What are the default folder names in Outlook 2016?: I'm going insane, and just spent 35 minutes in chat w/MS, to no avail. *Mad I am on a clean install of Win10, with a new install of Office 365 with Outlook. Earlier today, a MS tech remotely set up my 3 Outlook accounts. Then she tried to import merge data from my .pst...
  4. Problems with Outlook 2016

in Browsers and Email
    Problems with Outlook 2016: I have recently moved from a desktop computer with Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail to one with Windows 10 and Outlook 2016. I am still on a learning curve with the last, but after some difficulties have managed to migrate my emails from WLM to OL; still having problems...
  5. Problem with Outlook 2016

in Browsers and Email
    Problem with Outlook 2016: Hi All, I have a problem with MS outlook 2016. When I tried to open an news-server link in Mozilla Firefox 48.0.2 with outlook.exe it show me a Script error window Line 278 Char 1 Error unspecified error Here is the site (It`s on Bulgarian) but links are at the bottom...
  6. Make Outlook 2016 Remember Window Size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Make Outlook 2016 Remember Window Size: I prefer not to have Outlook take up my whole screen. For some reason, since reinstalling Windows and Office 365, I cannot get Outlook to remember the window size no matter what I do. Things I've tried: control + clicking red X, right clicking on the title bar and choosing...
  7. Outlook 2016 - Microsoft Print to PDF

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2016 - Microsoft Print to PDF: When I try to use the Microsoft Print to PDF function on Outlook I get the message 'Printer not Ready' yet I can can print to any other printer from Outlook and I can print to the Microsoft Print to PDF driver from other applications. Anyone know why Outlook 2016 is having...
  8. Outlook 2016 showing twice in default programs.

Outlook 2016 showing twice in default programs.: I have a user with a fairly new computer running Windows 10 Pro. He has Office 2016 H&B and for whatever reason his outlook shows twice in default programs. I don't know for sure but this seems to be causing several things not to work correctly. This includes the built in...
  9. Outlook 2016 - How to Select Default Folders?

Outlook 2016 - How to Select Default Folders?: Outlook 2016 insists on creating a Trash folder in my IMAP accounts and moving deleted items there. I want to use another folder for deleted items. It was possible to specify the folders to use for Sent and Deleted items in Outlook 2010 but I can't find how to do this in...
  10. Cannot make Outlook 2016 Default Email

Cannot make Outlook 2016 Default Email: I cannot make Outlook 2016 default email client. I try tru the setting...default and it looks like it is the default. Then I get an error window that says there is no email default and I should set it up in Outlook 2016. When I try it takes me back to settings...default. I am...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. outlook not remembering file associations

2. choosing outlook closes default apps

3. go to folders of outlook 2016 not remembering

4. outlook 2016 how do you want to open this file pdf,
  5. outlook default app for pdf,
  6. office 365 not remembering pdf app,
  7. outlook 2016 not remembering default pdf app