Windows 10: Problem with pinning items to start menu in win10

Discus and support Problem with pinning items to start menu in win10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys. Lately Windows has started behaving really odd in the way it deals with pinning. It was fine when I first set up win10 but now it doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MarcusarilliuS, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Problem with pinning items to start menu in win10

Hey guys.

Lately Windows has started behaving really odd in the way it deals with pinning. It was fine when I first set up win10 but now it doesn't work properly.
    I want to see if I can resolve this as I really don't feel like wiping and installing everything again.

The issue is that when I now pin anything to the start menu it creates a folder on the desktop called "Programs" and it places a shortcut to the item in there. If I delete the folder it removes the pinned start menu item.
    It never used to behave like this. When I pinned something to the start menu it didn't have to create a desktop folder to place it in. It's very strange.

Anyone know why it's doing this?

Cheers,

Mark.

:)

MarcusarilliuS, Dec 15, 2016

2. Windows10 start menu - continuing issues

I know there have been numerous issues with Win10 start menu. But bit by bit, Win10 (a release candidate?) is starting to look like a joke to me. I'm sorry, cannot conclude otherwise.

I upgraded my Win7 64 bit system to Win10.

1) I could (and can) pin a few apps as tiles to the start menu. After some previous update - WHOOPS! - my pinned items were gone

2) WHOOPS! again - even a really large portion of applications that WERE indeed installed, were not visible anymore in the Start Menu, NOR could those be found through the "search" bar. End result: as a professional user I needed to find the executable in
    \Program Files\... and start the bloody .exe from there! Now that is what I would refer to as "stupidity all over the place".

Then - some Win10 (auto) update came in. HURRAY! Most of the Start Menu items were back. Though not the pinned ones. Okay okay... so I have added those again as pinned items (I so much love to do useless work on a computer - it is making my life "efficient",
    don't you think? ;-)

But ouch... today (08/25) .... WHOOPS! again.... the pinned items are GONE.

And so are a bunch of start menu items, that were in there before,

I have already performed several /scannow and PowerShell actions.

To no avail.

So for this very reason I wish to ask those responsible at Microsoft: what on earth are you thinking about the stability of such an operating system? What is there that I can do to keep a machine's FUNCTIONALITY on something stupid and basic as a Start Menu
    is supposed to be ??? Please - tell me , and I will act accordingly! Since by now it is starting to look like a joke, and I don't want Win10 to be a joke.

@all other users: would anyone have an idea / Command prompt-action that I might have missed?

Thanks!

Van Aarsbergen, Dec 15, 2016
  3. Farzad_K Win User
    Problem Pinning to Start Menu - Win 10, Bootcamp

Hello,

This problem seems to have been reported in many blends.

I have reinstalled Win10 on Mac Bootcamp. My previous install didn't have this pin-to-start problem at all. I just had to delete my Botcamp partition and redo it because I wanted to give Windows more space to work in. Now I am having the problem of pinning
    anything to the start.

I sometimes can pin one item. And when I pin a second item the system pauses - almost like it's got the wind knocked out of it, and rapidly closes the start menu. Opening it back up again reveals that even the first item has been removed.

Having read past discussions I decided to reinstall windows, and yes, I have now reinstalled and activated many large programs, and yes, I am still having the problem.

Is this a new issue with Win10? Is Microsoft aware of this issue? Any chance they might issue an update to fix this problem? Can someone help please?

Thanks

Farzad

Farzad_K, Dec 15, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

Problem with pinning items to start menu in win10

The correct place for that Programs folder is:
    C:\Users\<your_user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

If for some reason that location is inaccessible a folder on the desktop would seem to be the 'backup plan'.

First, try restarting your PC (not shutdown, do a proper restart). Still happens? Then try logging in with a different account, it may be a problem with just this one user profile.

5. Cheers mate. I checked and the programs folder was missing. I pinned an item to the start, it created a programs folder on the desktop, then I moved that program folder to the location you mentioned and tried pinning another app and it went to the correct folder now and didn't create a new desktop folder. Awesome *Smile

I remember now that I must have moved that folder and forgot to replace it when I was troubleshooting an issue I had a few days ago when my start menu suddenly went blank.
    The space to the right where the app icons go was even missing. I managed to get it functioning again but lost the custom apps I had pinned. So it was in that process that I moved the "programs" folder and forgot to put it back when I was done troubleshooting.

MarcusarilliuS, Dec 15, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    Glad to have helped, looks like it was an easy fix.

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Problem with pinning items to start menu in win10

1. Problem with pinning items to start menu in win10 - Similar Threads - Problem pinning items

2. Unable to pin a start menu item to Windows Tile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to pin a start menu item to Windows Tile: I tried to pin my Camera start menu item to a tile in Windows. At first it worked & I saw it move over, then something happened, I heard a beep & it disappeared. Now it is not giving me the option to move it there again, but it thinks it is already there but it is not. Can...
  3. Unable to pin a start menu item to Windows Tile

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to pin a start menu item to Windows Tile: I tried to pin my Camera start menu item to a tile in Windows. At first it worked & I saw it move over, then something happened, I heard a beep & it disappeared. Now it is not giving me the option to move it there again, but it thinks it is already there but it is not. Can...
  4. Pinned items disappear in start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pinned items disappear in start menu: I'm facing a problem recently. I pinned some softwares in start menu. But when I turned on my PC again, I saw that they are missing !!! I've pinned again and they disappeared again Would you like to tell me that what's the problem and how can I fix it?...
  5. Start menu items...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu items...: When I started up, then rechecked the standard News and weather apps. were not working in the START menu. They were working fine yesterday. 110222
  6. Can't unpin/pin items in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't unpin/pin items in start menu: Hi, I've been using windows 10 for some time and I didn't have any problems until now, idk when the problem appeared or what caused it. I wanted to uninstall a program that I wasn't using, and it was pinned to my start menu tile, and I wanted to put something in that...
  7. Why is there a limit of items that can be pinned to the start menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is there a limit of items that can be pinned to the start menu?: Why is there a limit of items that can be pinned to the start menu? In previous builds there was a higher limit or no limit. If the item listed was off-screen, you just scrolled whether or not the start menu was full size or not. In build 10130 there is a limit, not only...
  8. Item pinned to Start Menu is not visible

in Windows 10 Support
    Item pinned to Start Menu is not visible: I pinned Windows Update to my Start Menu. After some time, I noticed it was gone and tried to re-pin it. But when I right-clicked on the setting, all that showed up was "Unpin from Start." Selecting that option causes the dialog window to crash/close. As things stand, I...
  9. Pinning items to left side of Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinning items to left side of Start Menu?: ....referring to the huge blank space Microsoft has provided on the left side of the start menu below the "most used" programs and above the folders selected in the Personalization/Start settings. Is this not customizable? Or has anyone figured out a workaround for this...
  10. Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen?: Any of the items under games in this screen shot will not pin to my Start Screen? They will pin to my taskbar though. It's windows 10 Enterprise if that matters. I can right click and select Pin to Start, but nothing happens. Right click again and Pin To Start is still listed...