Windows 10: Problem with scaling with HDTV

Discus and support Problem with scaling with HDTV in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi guys, Yesterday I installed Windows 10 on my machine, and am having just one problem so far. I have 1 monitor and 1 HDTV connected to my setup.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by TemplarLord, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Problem with scaling with HDTV

Hi guys,

Yesterday I installed Windows 10 on my machine, and am having just one problem so far. I have 1 monitor and 1 HDTV connected to my setup. The monitor connects via DVI, while the TV is connected via HDMI. The problem occurred when I turned on the PC this morning(yesterday I installed Win10), and the scaling options were changed. Everything was humongous on the PC monitor. I eventually got rid of it by plugging the HDMI cable out of the PC and restarting it.

My understanding is, when Windows is booting it detects the HDTV first, and the PC monitor second; and of course scales everything to better fit the HDTV. My question is, can this be disabled? In Windows 7, I did not experience this issue.

Very similar issue here.

Thanks guys, the sevenforums helped me a lot before, hoping you can help me now again.

:)

TemplarLord, Oct 24, 2015

2. Windows 10 Problem

After I updated Windows 10 today as I was instructed, I can no longer get on the internet. My wifi no longer shows up to click on it. It was working fine until I allowed the install. I have tried restarting the HP Spectre x 369 laptop and the router,
    but this has not helped. (I am using a borrowed Apple computer to search for a solution.) I need help to get back online. Can anyone help or tell me who I might contact for help?

Problem with 10, Oct 24, 2015
  3. Windows 10 w/ Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 connected to HDTV as 2nd Display won't scale properly

On windows 8.1 I would have no problem connecting an HDMI cable from my yoga to my samsung HDTV. The TV would be detected and desktop would be scaled appropriately to fit the entire desktop on the screen and I would have to adjust nothing. Upon trying this
    with windows 10 I run into issues I had back on windows 7 with an older TV. The desktop on the HDTV becomes way too big and a significant portion of the outer margins are cut off. Played a video just to see if full screen video would stay confined to the borders
    of the TV but they were cut off as well.

There is literally no other data about this out there yet. Am I the only one with this issue? They're boasting that Win10 should be able to detect and scale automatically but its definitely not.

Any advice or suggestions? or is this basically a "wait until microsoft addresses display driver / compatibility issues" kind of situation?

lol damnit!

Thanks in advance for any advice or support.

KyleBonura, Oct 24, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Problem with scaling with HDTV

Probably the TV is the primary monitor and it is given priority. You have to make the other monitor primary. Click on the search icon and type monitor. Then click on Choose a monitor to be the main display. I cannot help more, as I have a single monitor, but once there it should be obvious how to change the monitors by moving them around or by click at the advanced settings.

spapakons, Oct 25, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    Probably the TV is the primary monitor and it is given priority. You have to make the other monitor primary. Click on the search icon and type monitor. Then click on Choose a monitor to be the main display. I cannot help more, as I have a single monitor, but once there it should be obvious how to change the monitors by moving them around or by click at the advanced settings.

You can also configure monitors by accessing your display adaptor's control panel. This is nVidia Control Panel (for nVidia) or Catalyst Control Center (for ATI/AMD) or Graphics Properties (for Intel), depending on your adapter. It is usually accessed by right-click on the desktop or in the classic Control Panel (search for Control to see the link).

spapakons, Oct 25, 2015
  6. Hi spapakons, thanks for replying. The way I worked around this issue was to not have cloned displays, but have extended displays instead. If the monitors were cloned, the HDTV had priority and Windows setup DPI to better suit the large display. The PC monitor was the primary one, both in Windows and in the nVidia control panel.

If the displays are extended however, Windows gives the option to scale DPI on a per-monitor basis, so I was able to set it up the same(100%) on both displays.

The only real difference now is that I can use my PC while having Kodi on the TV. *Smile

I won't mark this as solved since this is just a simple workaround, not a fix. If someone has another idea or solution, please share.

TemplarLord, Oct 25, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    It depends on what you are trying to do. If you want the same picture on both (cloning) then both monitors must have same native resolution to get a sharp image on both. In your case, the monitor with the smaller resolution has the best image while the other is blur because it has the former's resolution, not its own native. This should explain things. In dual mode each monitor can have its native resolution and picture is perfect on both, but then the desktop is on primary while the other monitor is used indirectly by dragging applications there.

spapakons, Oct 26, 2015
  8. Problem with scaling with HDTV

No, the resolution on both displays is the same, native 1920x1080. The image is crystal sharp on both.

The problem occurs with scaling of various Windows elements such as font size, desktop icon size etc.

TemplarLord, Oct 26, 2015
  9. spapakons Win User
    Yes, clone mode copies settings from one monitor to the other, so I don't think you can scale each monitor separately. To adjust each monitor separately they must be independent, like in dual mode. So you have to use custom scaling and a good compromise between the two, making sure the icons and text are not too small in one monitor and to large in the other.

spapakons, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Problem with scaling with HDTV

1. Problem with scaling with HDTV - Similar Threads - Problem scaling HDTV

2. resolution scaling problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    resolution scaling problem: My display resolution is overscaling . How to fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resolution-scaling-problem/f9f1f034-e65c-4c06-9f21-35386efc1f1e
  3. resolution scaling problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    resolution scaling problem: My display resolution is overscaling . How to fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resolution-scaling-problem/f9f1f034-e65c-4c06-9f21-35386efc1f1e
  4. Excel scaling problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Excel scaling problem: With the updated download, I cannot get Excel to scale to one page or scale at all. I have been using this option for years so what is the problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excel-scaling-problem/4808f5c3-df70-4875-9121-7d1722615f6b
  5. scale problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    scale problem: so the application i have to use for my work is not very updated. it's highest compatibility is with win8. but it works perfectly fine with win10 pro on my old laptop. but with my win10 home, there's one of the window of the app that's too big for my screen. i try to change...
  6. Monitor/HDTV connectivity/detection issues:

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor/HDTV connectivity/detection issues:: Hello, I will copy-paste the questions found under how to give valuable info about my problem And I will answer that questions. Here it is: 1) Display make and model (if you know the firmware version, please provide this as well) - - it is an 4K Samsung Smart TV 43inch the...
  7. Automatically scaling problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Automatically scaling problem: Whenever I move a program a gray UI appears with four corners. I just want to move my program but this gray UI always automatically scales my windows. How can I disable this UI?...
  8. scaling problem

scaling problem: Hello, I have a 4K TV as a monitor connected via DVI-HDMI. I have 3840*2160 and scaling 100% (because I want all pixels when viewing photos *Wink Today for the second time I noticed that all desktop icons are spread out in crazy distance like around 200px but they are small,...
  9. Oversan on HDTV

Oversan on HDTV: I only run an Intel i5k without a graphics card When using my SAMSUNG tv as my display, it cuts off the sides of the full display it should be showing. I have tried changing resolutions, ratios and looking through the tvs menu. the tv only seems to give me ratios of 16:9...
  10. HDMI to HDTV ( Windows 10 )

HDMI to HDTV ( Windows 10 ): Hi, I just purchased a new HDTV & connected it to my desktop w/ a HDMI cable ( the connection is via a splitter, one input to monitor the other to the TV ). Everything seems to be working but when I look @ playback devices it shows the TV that was previously connected as the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. winodws 10 scaling problem on hdtv