Windows 10: problem with start menu, search and new notifications

Discus and support problem with start menu, search and new notifications in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm having a problem with the start menu, search and new notifications not responding to a click. I think it might be tied to the fact I am using a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Looey, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Looey Win User

problem with start menu, search and new notifications

I'm having a problem with the start menu, search and new notifications not responding to a click. I think it might be tied to the fact I am using a local logon only. I have created a new user that logs onto Microsoft that doesn't seem to have this problem. I saw this in the notes: Occasionally, the Start Menu is improperly registered and will fail to launch. I have this problem every time I create a new local user and boot a couple of times. I have installed 9926 three times making sure I didn't do something goofy and I've never had this problem on this hardware that is fairly robust with earlier Windows 10 builds. Has anyone else had this problem or know what I could have possibly done wrong?

Error codes in Event Viewer after I click on the start menu:

The server CortanaUI did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Activation of app Microsoft.Cortana_8wekyb3d8bbwe!CortanaUI failed with error: The app didn't start. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x54bdebe3
    Faulting module name: SearchUI.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x54bdebe3
    Exception code: 0xc000027b
    Fault offset: 0x00000000002ed4f6
    Faulting process id: 0xcd4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d038136d175373
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Cortana_1.3.1.444_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\SearchUI.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Cortana_1.3.1.444_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\SearchUI.exe
    Report Id: aac72a70-a406-11e4-ab3d-d050993141ce
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Cortana_1.3.1.444_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Faulting package-relative application ID: CortanaUI

:)

Looey, Jan 23, 2015

2. WINDOWS 10 START MENU

My start menu has stopped functioning, also the search box and new notifications. I am not at all a techie so is there some simple means of fixing the problem?

Thank you

Derek

Derek Smith(2), Jan 23, 2015
  3. Start menu, Search Bar, App Store and Notifications not working

Until 3 days ago, I had Win10 working just fine - since then its all gone wrong.

* My start menu gives me options if I right click, but nothing with a left click.

* My Search Bar recognises that I clicking on it, but I can't type anything in it.

* I have no App Store.

* I am showing as having "New Notifications" on the task bar, but if I right click and select to open, nothing happens - same with a left click.

* When I try to do anything in the User Accounts Settings, such as add another user, or sign in with a Microsoft Account (despite the fact I seem to have set that up already, as its showing my old MSN Profile Pic when I login!) - None of the options work.
    When I go to the "Your Account" section and try clicking "Sign in with a Microsoft Account Instead", it does nothing - I should already be signed in - so is this what is causing the problem?

Thanks for your help,

Marc

Marjowil-993, Jan 23, 2015
  4. problem with start menu, search and new notifications

Hi,

have the exact same problem.

After the last Update it only boots on a black screen with a visible mouse symbol.
    After System restore it boots up normal but Cortana and Apps doesnt work anymore.
    SFC/Scannow stops a 0% in normal mode and 2% in Safe Mode.

Did you found anything to solve it without reinstall?
    Also i am not using virtual box, I have it installed on my HP 8460p Notebook.

Here are some log entrys I found:
    The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    dam
    DNE

Systemadministrator should check the used DLLs referes to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/19757

The server Microsoft.WindowsLive.Mail.wwa did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

The server "App" did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

The server "CortanaUI" did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Also posted this here but no reply:
    Cortana Search and Apps fail to start - Microsoft Community

regards

beastofpray, Feb 16, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

problem with start menu, search and new notifications

1. problem with start menu, search and new notifications - Similar Threads - problem start menu

2. Searching from the new Start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching from the new Start menu: See:I have noticed that the two buttons at the bottom on the task bar on the left menu button and search button.... for me ... these only function on my primary monitor. If I click the same buttons on the seonc monitor they don't behave.Well, I can click the button on the...
  3. Searching from the new Start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Searching from the new Start menu: See:I have noticed that the two buttons at the bottom on the task bar on the left menu button and search button.... for me ... these only function on my primary monitor. If I click the same buttons on the seonc monitor they don't behave.Well, I can click the button on the...
  4. The Start Button/Search Bar and the Notification Menu are not responding and starting on...

in Windows 10 Customization
    The Start Button/Search Bar and the Notification Menu are not responding and starting on...: Every time I click on these icons, I have had absolutely NO response whatsoever except for the transparent effect when my pointer hovers over it. So, If you could answer this question really quickly, I would very much appreciate it !!...
  5. Setting, start menu, notification center, search menu not working

Setting, start menu, notification center, search menu not working: Hello, after recent updates from Windows, I've found a lot of problems. I can't access the start menu, search menu, action center, task bar, as well as setting. When I try to use the keyboard shortcut to open the settings, it said something along the line like 'Class Not...
  6. Problem with Start menu and Search bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with Start menu and Search bar: From these two days, I can't open search menu and when ever I click on start menu the explorer restarts. I can't even open some apps(now in Insider build 20H2). submitted by /u/itsme_shibintmz [link] [comments]...
  7. Start menu, settings, search and notifications are not opening

Start menu, settings, search and notifications are not opening: Since a few days I cannot open any standard microsoft apps. While typing this I also noticed that pressing anything like sound, internet icon, language or battery on the taskbar doesn't work either. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a new update for Windows 10, and installing...
  8. Problem with Start Menu search

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with Start Menu search: I had to restore a older image of my Windows 10 install, after copying my current user profile. I restored it, copied the new user profile over the old one and got all working. Except the Start menu search feature stopped finding programs, the only results it returns are...
  9. Start Menu , Search and Notifications not work

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu , Search and Notifications not work: Hello , suddenly my start menu , search and notifications not work. Even if i click on it it dont opens. I did this solution with this copy pasta at PowerShell but dont works : Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...
  10. start menu search problem

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu search problem: Build 14328. I can't open start menu and begin typing to search anymore. searching only works in the Cortana box. 48330

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cortanaui did not register with dcom