Windows 10: Problem with Start Menu search

Discus and support Problem with Start Menu search in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had to restore a older image of my Windows 10 install, after copying my current user profile. I restored it, copied the new user profile over the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by derek10, Dec 23, 2016.

1. derek10 Win User

Problem with Start Menu search

I had to restore a older image of my Windows 10 install, after copying my current user profile.
    I restored it, copied the new user profile over the old one and got all working.

Except the Start menu search feature stopped finding programs, the only results it returns are Web and Store suggestion ones.
    For example I could type "paint" or "calc" to open Paint or the calculator, now it only returns store suggestions and/or web suggestions instead of these apps, same as any built-in or third party app.

Problem with Start Menu search [​IMG]

(The first result only opens Edge with a Bing search for Paint) *Devil

I rebuilt the search index, I reviewed its settings I typed a powershell command that supposedly fixes that, and still nothing. I think the problem may come from the profile. Meanwhile I will create a new user account.

Thanks for any suggestion or clue *Smile

Edit: I can't create a new user account. When I click "Add someone else to this PC" an empty grey window pops up for a second then closes. Definitely there is something very wrong here

:)

derek10, Dec 23, 2016

2. Start menu search problems

I've followed all of your steps and the problem seems to still be there.

Michael Kan RS, Dec 23, 2016
  3. Start menu search problems

I have installed all of my applications after the reset. They are still not showing up.

Michael Kan RS, Dec 23, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if restoring your image gave you a consistent system (did it, without your current problems?), I'd stay with that rather than trying to fix what you now have.

dalchina, Dec 23, 2016
  5. derek10 Win User
    Hi
    Yes I used Macrium Reflected, and the backup and restore operations came without any errors.

I don't understand the second sentence, do you mean to try to restore the image again? I only have one image and I think the issue cam after the profile restoration, but I can try (but being a SSD i don't like to put so many write cycles on it!)

Thanks *Smile

Thanks!

derek10, Dec 23, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, great you're using disk imaging- very wise. Yes, if your present system is broken, and it was ok after restoring the image, then I'd restore the image again and go from there- but don't try copying profiles.

dalchina, Dec 23, 2016
  7. derek10 Win User
    Many thanks again!
    I have restored again, but instead of copying the entire user profile, I've copied the essential folders to the current one. Seems fine so far *Smile

Problem with Start Menu search [​IMG]

derek10, Dec 23, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Good- yep, keep to data only- play safe.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem with Start Menu search - Similar Threads - Problem Start Menu

2. Search menu covering start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search menu covering start menu: After I updated my windows the other day. I can no longer have access on my start menu. Whenever I hit the sortvut key the search menu will cover the start menu completely please help...
  3. Search in start menu

in Cortana
    Search in start menu: Hi. I have recently switched from my windows 10 PC to my windows 10 laptop. I don't know of any software differences, so I do not know what may be the cause. When using my windows pc, I often quickly open the start menu to search something up by just starting to type in the...
  4. Problem with Start menu and Search bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with Start menu and Search bar: From these two days, I can't open search menu and when ever I click on start menu the explorer restarts. I can't even open some apps(now in Insider build 20H2). submitted by /u/itsme_shibintmz [link] [comments]...
  5. Search menu on top of start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search menu on top of start menu: [ATTACH] After updating to the latest version of windows 10 2004 through windows update, every time I open the menu the search menu opens on top. Does anybody know what is going on, and how to solve this bug?...
  6. Start Menu Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search: Greetings, When I search with the start menu open after the recent major update it opens a new window. This is atrocious and I want the searching to take place inside the start menu. Is this at all possible? Thanks in advance // 139419
  7. problem with start menu, search and new notifications

in Windows 10 Support
    problem with start menu, search and new notifications: I'm having a problem with the start menu, search and new notifications not responding to a click. I think it might be tied to the fact I am using a local logon only. I have created a new user that logs onto Microsoft that doesn't seem to have this problem. I saw this in the...
  8. Taskbar Search and Start Menu Problems

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Taskbar Search and Start Menu Problems: I did the sfc scannow, the powershell app thing, I think I did the DSIM thing too. What can I do? 28297
  9. start menu search problem

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu search problem: Build 14328. I can't open start menu and begin typing to search anymore. searching only works in the Cortana box. 48330
  10. No Start Menu, Search

in Windows 10 Support
    No Start Menu, Search: All, I upgraded Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home. It worked for a couple of days and suddenly there is no Start Menu (Click start and nothing happens) and no Search box (Icon present but nothing happens when clicked). MY machine is slower accessing all menus...