Windows 10: Problem with the START icon

Discus and support Problem with the START icon in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Occasionally the start icon is not working. Nothing happens when I click on it. Looks like the whole taskbar is not working. Anyone can assist me in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by greeny, Jan 10, 2018.

1. greeny Win User

Problem with the START icon

Occasionally the start icon is not working. Nothing happens when I click on it. Looks like the whole taskbar is not working.

Anyone can assist me in the matter?

:)

greeny, Jan 10, 2018

2. Problem with icon in accessories folder (start menau - all application

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

Try with the methods below and check.

Method 1:I suggest you to run System File Checker, which will check your system for missing, corrupt or damaged files and attempt to fix them.

Please refer the article on “How to run System File Checker” and check if that helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-gb

Method 2:

Also, I would suggest you to perform a clean boot and check.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Hope this helps. If you face any issues with Windows, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

ThofikhAhamad, Jan 10, 2018
  3. JBoisve Win User
    Problem with icon in accessories folder (start menau - all application

Still have the problem.

Finally I did a clean install to solve the problem.

JBoisve, Jan 10, 2018
  4. zbook New Member

Perform the following steps:

1) type: win + x keys (simultaneously)
    2) type: a
    3) type: alt + y keys (symultaneously)
    These three steps together should open administrative command prompt
    4) type: sfc /scannow
    5) type: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    6) chkdsk /scan
    7) net user test /add
    8) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread9) shutdown /r
    10) When the computer reboots sign on with the new user named test
    11) Evaluate the start menu and the task bar and report your findings into the thread.
    12) reboot and try the user that was have problems with the start menu and task bar.
    13) Evaluate the start menu and task bar and report your findings into the thread.

14) If the scannow and restorehealth did not fix the problem then click control + alt + delete to open task manager.
    In the left upper corner click file > run new task > type: powershell > check the box "create this task with administrative privileges"> click ok

15) Copy and paste this command to re-register the start menu:

Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}

16) After the above command completes > reboot and check the start menu and task bar and report into the thread.

17) In case you were not able to ope administrative powershell then reboot and sign on with the new user named test and then copy and paste the command.

zbook, Jan 10, 2018
  5. greeny Win User
    Just do the easy way out - reinstall a backup copy of my Win10 Creator and everything working fine. Just wonder, could this problem surface due to another third-party softwares (Avast IS or IOBit softwares)?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

greeny, Jan 10, 2018
  6. I highly recommend never using anything from IObit.

Jack

Layback Bear, Jan 10, 2018
  7. greeny Win User
    May I know the reasons?

greeny, Jan 10, 2018
  8. Stevekir Win User

Assuming you mean just a fresh copy of Windows 10 (Creator), did you succeed in keeping all your programs, without re-installing them?

>> If so, how?

>> I think the Windows Media Creation Tool offers a choice: with or without programs, the later leaving existing programs unaffected. Is that correct please?

Stevekir, Jan 10, 2018
  9. Jeddie Win User
    Jeddie, Jan 10, 2018
  10. Reason:
    I spend a lot of time on this forum and the Seven Forum reading many post.
    Through the years many members have had nothing but problems with IObit programs. Many had to do a complete Clean Install just to fix the problems IObit caused.

Removing IObit dose not solve the problem in most cases because it doesn't fix the changes IObits has done.
    IObit's is a company that steals from other companies.

IOBit Theft Conclusion - Malwarebytes News - Malwarebytes Forums

In my opinion IObits is also probable stealing information from the computers it is installed on and calling home to China.

China has been stealing intellectual properties and counterfeiting everything for a very long time. That is the way they do business in China.

Jack

Layback Bear, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem with the START icon - Similar Threads - Problem START icon

2. problem with start icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem with start icons: for a long, i could pin any folder or app in the start menu, but lately no additional app can be added to the list, i don't know if it's a problem of my device or it's an update from microsoft. please tell me what's wrong?...
  3. problem with start icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problem with start icons: for a long, i could pin any folder or app in the start menu, but lately no additional app can be added to the list, i don't know if it's a problem of my device or it's an update from microsoft. please tell me what's wrong?...
  4. PC Problem on the Start Icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    PC Problem on the Start Icon: Help on All in One HP PC my lower right Window Start does not do anything, I can not type in the Search place......what the problem..... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-problem-on-the-start-icon/31e03780-a98b-40ca-9340-690be562b086
  5. Start Menu Icon Problem

Start Menu Icon Problem: Hi. I installed the new version of Windows 10 and this happened to icons' appearance on my start menu and search section. A cross appears on each app and they flash when I hover the mouse pointer on them. I'm experiencing this not only in the start menu but also in lots of...
  6. problem trying to open start icon

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    problem trying to open start icon: I can not open start icon or the date icon on microsoft edge and contana what is the problem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-trying-to-open-start-icon/87760864-010e-4f44-aafe-3843c7de7adf
  7. Start menu pin icon problem

Start menu pin icon problem: Hello dear , after i'm install new version of windows 10 , my start menu icon not showing correctly . when i unpin this icon of below picture , after restart it's come back , when i need pin the app like the twitter , not pin and not showing the app . when click this app...
  8. Start Menu Icon Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu Icon Problem: So I upgraded to Windows 10 and so far everything seems to be working fine however the one problem I've had is a problem with the icons for Google Chrome and Origin on the start menu. The Chrome icon is really over sized compared to what it should be and is on a black...
  9. problem with lost icons and start button

in Windows 10 Support
    problem with lost icons and start button: I have been using windows 10 for a few months now and this problem has happened twice now. The computer starts running very slowly and when I click on the start button = nothing happens so there is no way to shut the machine down except to shut it off. Also, I have lost the...
  10. Taskbar, Start Menu, Icons Problems Help

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar, Start Menu, Icons Problems Help: Hi, i am facing a really hard time with my windows 10 after upgrading from windows 7 (like 3 days ago), everything was working fine, but now my taskbar is having all kind of problems like literally, first start with my "Start Menu" it not functioning anymore, than the...