Windows 10: Problem with the Windows 10 security update from October 2017

Discus and support Problem with the Windows 10 security update from October 2017 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a problem with the Windows 10 security update on laptop (the October 2017 security update). The C drive on my laptop is only 28.3gb altogether... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by - Josie-, Jul 15, 2018.

1. - Josie- Win User

Problem with the Windows 10 security update from October 2017

I have a problem with the Windows 10 security update on laptop (the October 2017 security update). The C drive on my laptop is only 28.3gb altogether and it only came with 2gb free space. I have had it since May 2017. I do not save anything to the laptop, the only programme that I have added/downloaded is an antivirus and I run a disk clean-up and delete my browsing history/cookies every week (I still have 1.69gb of free space). I have no files, documents, pictures, music or anything saved to the laptop. I know that I can use an external hard drive for the update, however the update also requires space on my C drive – more space than my C drive has. I have been ignoring the update since last year, but every time the message pops up telling me to do the update it lasts on the screen longer and longer, often causing my laptop to crash. I want to do the update, but don't pysically know how to. Can anyone give me any advice on what to do, please?

:)

- Josie-, Jul 15, 2018
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Jul 15, 2018
  3. Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for October 2017

Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for October 2017
    Note: There may be latency issues due to replication, if the page does not display keep refreshing
    Today Microsoft released the following Security Bulletin(s).
    Note:
    Microsoft Security Response Centre
    and

Security TechCenter
    are authoritative in all matters concerning Microsoft Security Bulletins! ANY e-mail, web board or newsgroup posting (including this one) should be verified
    by visiting these sites for official information. Microsoft never sends security or other updates as attachments. These updates must be downloaded from the microsoft.com download center or Windows Update. See the individual bulletins for details.

Because some malicious messages attempt to masquerade as official Microsoft security notices, it is recommended that you physically type the URLs into your web browser and not click on the hyperlinks provided.

Bulletin Summary:
    Release Notes
    October 2017 Security Updates
    Release Date: October 10, 2017
    {{windowTitle}}
    The October security release consists of security updates for the following software:
    Internet Explorer
    Microsoft Edge
    Microsoft Windows
    Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office Services and Web Apps
    Skype for Business and Lync
    Chakra Core
    Please note the following information regarding the security updates:
    Windows 10 updates are cumulative. The monthly security release includes all security fixes for vulnerabilities that affect Windows 10, in addition to non-security updates. The updates are available via the Microsoft Update Catalog.
    Starting in March 2017, there will be a Windows 10 1607 delta package that contains just the delta changes between the previous month and the current release.
    Updates for Windows RT 8.1 and Microsoft Office RT software are only available via Windows Update.
    In addition to security changes for the vulnerabilities, updates include defense-in-depth updates to help improve security-related features.
    After May 9, 2017, customers running Windows 10 version 1507 will no longer receive security and quality updates, with the excecption of the Windows 10 2015 LTSB and the Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 2015 LTSB editions. Microsoft recommends that customers
    running other editions of Windows 10 version 1507 that are no longer supported should update your devices to the latest version of Windows 10. For more information see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 4015562.
    Known Issues

Please note that Microsoft may release bulletins outside of this schedule if we determine the need to do so.
    If you have any questions regarding the patch or its implementation after reading the above listed bulletin you should contact For home users, no-charge support for security updates (only!) is available by calling 800-MICROSOFT (800-642-7676) in the US
    or 877-568-2495 in Canada.
    As always, download the updates only from the vendors website - visit
    Windows Update
    and

Office Update
    or

Microsoft Update
    websites. You may also get the updates thru

Automatic Updates
    functionality in Windows system.
    Security Tool
    Find out if you are missing important Microsoft product updates by using
    MBSA

NICK ADSL UK [MVP], Jul 15, 2018
  4. P4-630 Win User

Two major Windows 10 updates scheduled for 2017

Problem with the Windows 10 security update from October 2017 windows-10-hp-stream-100566481-large.jpg

It may come as no surprise, but Microsoft won't release another major update for Windows 10 in 2016. The good news is you can expect two big updates to Microsoft’s latest operating system in 2017.

Microsoft let the information slip in a TechNet blog post published earlier in the week. “Windows 10, version 1607 is our third Windows 10 feature update released,” Microsoft said in the blog post. “Based on feedback from organizations moving to Windows 10, this will be our last feature update for 2016, with two additional feature updates expected in 2017.”

The blog post appears to confirm reports from the Windows rumor mill about the timing of the next two updates for Windows 10. The first update, dubbed Redstone 2, is expected to roll out in early 2017 with the second, Redstone 3, landing in the summer or early fall, similar to the timing of the recently released Anniversary Update (previously known as Redstone 1).

This schedule would put Microsoft back on a two updates per year schedule similar to the initial rollout of Windows 10, as Windows Central first pointed out. In 2015, Microsoft released Windows 10 (also known as Threshold) in July and then the November Update(dubbed Threshold 2) three months later.

This time around, Redstone 2 is expected to roll out in the spring and then Redstone 3 should hit about four to six months later.

The impact on you at home: Of the two updates, Redstone 2 looks to be the most interesting so far. Not necessarily because of the features, which are believed to be largely things that weren’t ready for the Anniversary Update. The big deal is that the early 2017 update is expected to roll out in concert with new hardware from Microsoft, asZDNet’s Mary Jo Foley first reported back in March.

Early builds of Redstone 2 are expected to roll out to Windows Insiders in the coming weeks.

Two major Windows 10 updates scheduled for 2017

P4-630, Jul 15, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem with the Windows 10 security update from October 2017 - Similar Threads - Problem security update

2. no October update on surface PRO 2017

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    no October update on surface PRO 2017: my custom PC already updated, but surface tells me it's up to date on 1803 should I wait oR download update assistant ? All of my setting are default I've tried update troubleshoot it fixed some config but still nothing. Thanks : )...
  3. Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for October 2017

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for October 2017: Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for October 2017 Note: There may be latency issues due to replication, if the page does not display keep refreshing Today Microsoft released the following Security Bulletin(s). Note: Microsoft Security Response Centre and Security...
  4. rempl/remsh.exe running from October 2017 update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    rempl/remsh.exe running from October 2017 update: Anyone knows what this does or is supposed to do? Perhaps to prepare or allow the Fall CU to take place? My search engine, ecosia, and my browser, pale moon, did not arrive at any info, other than that it is fairly new(?). (I had just gotten around to updating the OS,...
  5. Security update KB4049179 for Adobe Flash Player: October 17, 2017

in Windows 10 News
    Security update KB4049179 for Adobe Flash Player: October 17, 2017: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: October 17, 2017 Summary This security update resolves vulnerabilities in Adobe Flash Player that is installed on any supported edition of Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows 10, Windows 10...
  6. This Week on Windows: October 26th 2017

in Windows 10 News
    This Week on Windows: October 26th 2017: zqwpNWhbY-M We hope you enjoyed this week’s episode of This Week on Windows! Head over here to read more about the official launch of the Microsoft Reactor in San Francisco, the launch of the World’s Most Powerful Console – Xbox One X – our Windows 10 Tip on how you can...
  7. This Week on Windows: October 12, 2017

in Windows 10 News
    This Week on Windows: October 12, 2017: This Week on Windows, we’re celebrating a milestone, showcasing new Surface designer accessories and we’re showing off Middle Earth: Shadow of War! Head over here to learn more about Marimekko and Microsoft Surface, check out our Windows 10 Tip on how to work more efficiently...
  8. .NET Framework October 2017 Security and Quality Rollup

in Windows 10 News
    .NET Framework October 2017 Security and Quality Rollup: Today, we are releasing the October 2017 Security and Quality Rollup. The update applies to all supported Windows versions. It includes a known issue for Windows 10 1507 (see below). Security This release contains no new security updates. Quality and Reliability...
  9. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update coming October 17th 2017

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Fall Creators Update coming October 17th 2017: UPDATE 10/17: How to get the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Windows 10 Forums The next update of Windows 10, the Fall Creators Update, will be available worldwide October 17. With the Fall Creators Update we are introducing some fun, new ways to get creative. As...
  10. October 2017 Non-Security Office Update Release

in Windows 10 News
    October 2017 Non-Security Office Update Release: Listed below are the non-security updates we released on the Download Center and Microsoft Update. See the linked KB articles for more information. Office 2013 Update for Microsoft Access 2013 (KB3172543) Update for Microsoft Excel 2013 (KB4011181) Update for Microsoft...