Windows 10: Problem with Windows 10 start screen taking over the desktop

Discus and support Problem with Windows 10 start screen taking over the desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am having a problem on Windows 10 where the desktop has been taken over by the start menu. I am no longer able to resize windows as one would on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by abcdefgh, Jan 8, 2016.

1. abcdefgh Win User

Problem with Windows 10 start screen taking over the desktop

I am having a problem on Windows 10 where the desktop has been taken over by the start menu. I am no longer able to resize windows as one would on a desktop, but rather they are treated as apps. I will try to post some pictures of the problem. It is almost like Windows 10 has forgotten that it is not Windows 8 and has in addition deleted the desktop. I will try to post some pictures of what the problem looks like (the image in the background was my desktop background, now the remnant of the old desktop). I have tried changing the option in the settings->personalization->start->use full start screen, but to no avail. I have turned my computer on and off a number of times. The funny thing is that my other account on the same computer does not have the same problem, it still has the desktop fully functional. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

abcdefgh, Jan 8, 2016
  2. lacrumb Win User

Desktop

Windows 10 starts at the desktop. Click the Windows icon and you get the Start screen.

This is just how Windows 10 works.

For many working places they need to go to something that they have as a shortcut on the desktop.

I have over 50 shortcuts on my desktop computer. I have only 15 tiles on my Start screen.

lacrumb, Jan 8, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Problem

After I updated Windows 10 today as I was instructed, I can no longer get on the internet. My wifi no longer shows up to click on it. It was working fine until I allowed the install. I have tried restarting the HP Spectre x 369 laptop and the router,
    but this has not helped. (I am using a borrowed Apple computer to search for a solution.) I need help to get back online. Can anyone help or tell me who I might contact for help?

Problem with 10, Jan 8, 2016
  4. abcdefgh Win User

I found the answer by chance, I had to go to settings->system-> tablet mode

abcdefgh, Jan 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Problem with Windows 10 start screen taking over the desktop - Similar Threads - Problem start screen

2. Problem with Microsoft taking over my laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Microsoft taking over my laptop.: Hi, I have a problem to sign in as an administrator account. I log out from my Microsoft account cuz it have the same problem and now on local account. But the problem is I can't do anything as it all under Microsoft corporation. Can't delete file, can't download software or...
  3. Problem with Microsoft taking over my laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with Microsoft taking over my laptop.: Hi, I have a problem to sign in as an administrator account. I log out from my Microsoft account cuz it have the same problem and now on local account. But the problem is I can't do anything as it all under Microsoft corporation. Can't delete file, can't download software or...
  4. Windows 10 takes over 5 minutes to reach the login screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 takes over 5 minutes to reach the login screen: Windows 10 takes over 5 minutes to reach the login screen How can I speed it up? I'm using Windows 10 20H2 I have already done chkdsk, dism and sfc and no errors were found. I've also installed windows updates. 168498
  5. Rogue Start screen takes over

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rogue Start screen takes over: since last update, the Start screen takes over even when I want to go to another site, like email. And if they are open, when I try to move from one to another, Start shows up and shuts them down. I've tried turning off stuff under settings, but it still makes me lose work....
  6. Windows 10 Start Screen Problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Start Screen Problem: whats up, so today I started using my computer as usual and suddenly I realized that I can't open my start menu nor the search menu. can anyone help? submitted by /u/Not_Dudidude [link] [comments]...
  7. OnDrive taking over my computer desktop????

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OnDrive taking over my computer desktop????: I have had OneDrive on my computer for ever, and have never used it as I have other sources of storage. Just yesterday I received pop-ups, and e-mail, that my OneDrive was full and I either needed to delete or upgrade storage. Not sure what caused OneDrive to basically suck...
  8. Windows Starts with Icons all over Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Starts with Icons all over Desktop: I have a Lenovo Yoga Pro 2, running Win 10 PRO with all the latest updates. When I open and start my Laptop all the icons that I want in certain places are now all over the desktop. If you try and move them, they will not go to where you want them. This happens about 90% of...
  9. Windows 10 taking over BIOS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 taking over BIOS: Hi, I have recently rebuilt my computer and done a clean install of Windows 10 build 1809. Since I have loaded Windows I am unable to get into bios either with del f2 or the restart uefi system. As I started loading Windows the last time and was fiddling in bios I noticed...
  10. Windows 10 mail takes over the screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 mail takes over the screen: I still have problems with Windows 10 mail taking over the screen, I can't shut down using the start button and if I uninstall it the screen goes crazy when I re-boot. Can I get rid of this unwanted app. I have run the latest update V1809 o/s build 17763.292 and it still...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 tiles taking over desktop screen