Windows 10: Problems activating Win 10 after hardware change

Discus and support Problems activating Win 10 after hardware change in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I purchased an HP Win 8.1 desktop about 3 years ago, was great till Win 10 downloaded then had lots of problems everytime I booted up, losing adapter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AygoAV, Jul 29, 2018.

1. AygoAV Win User

Problems activating Win 10 after hardware change

I purchased an HP Win 8.1 desktop about 3 years ago, was great till Win 10 downloaded then had lots of problems everytime I booted up, losing adapter settings, time outs, BSOD etc, I got totally fed up and finally just stopped using it as it was in a continuous cycle of downloading/failed install, PC was hardly ever available to me to do much at all due to continuous downloading or trying to force an install as well, however in the last month I've really needed the PC so bought a new m/b, CPU and graphics and kept everything else, left the hard drive connected to update whatever it wanted to the night before then put in the new hardware, however now i'm left with an Activate Windows on the desktop but it's failing to activate, it's telling me to purchase a key to an operating system that I hate with a passion, if could roll back to 8.1 I would, can anyone help please, I've spent a lot on upgraded hardware so that I can hopefully finally use the PC.

Many thanks for any help

:)

AygoAV, Jul 29, 2018

2. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-21a5-4010-8a39-7b975611b73b?tm=1438203002881

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jul 29, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Activation - Hardware Change

There are new steps here to be taken for
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

Absent having prepared with those, then I'd open the Support app and chat with an agent to explain your problem as they may be able to activate based on information they can glean from the install.

Is this the same Windows 10 install, and can you share with others how easy it was to boot it after the major hardware change (other than the activation problem). Many of us are amazed at how adaptive WIndows 10 is compared with previous versions.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jul 29, 2018
  4. Problems activating Win 10 after hardware change

Problem re-activating windows after hardware change

I recently changed my PC motherboard & cpu and i need to re-activate windows. Going through the steps in windows and using the troubleshooter > "I recently changed my hardware" > selecting my PC from list of devices, it never works. Error code 0xC004C003.
    I bought a windows 10 OEM key and have seen generally you just need to call support to re-activate but none of the phone numbers they give me work (UK). Any advice or people I can contact is appreciated.

Thanks

cameron7SC, Jul 29, 2018
Thema:

Problems activating Win 10 after hardware change

1. Problems activating Win 10 after hardware change - Similar Threads - Problems activating hardware

2. Win 10 Activation After Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Activation After Hardware Change: I switched my hard drive for one of those new shiny SSDs. Little did I know that MS needs to be informed before such a change. Now windows is no longer activated and won't reactivate through my account. I do I get windows activated again? Nothing I've seen on the web pages...
  3. Win 10 Activation After Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Activation After Hardware Change: I switched my hard drive for one of those new shiny SSDs. Little did I know that MS needs to be informed before such a change. Now windows is no longer activated and won't reactivate through my account. I do I get windows activated again? Nothing I've seen on the web pages...
  4. Win 10 Activation After Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Win 10 activation after hardware change

Win 10 activation after hardware change: What i need to do afer changing motherboard and processor to get rid of error 0xC004F211?I used Troubleshoot tool, but the output was "We werent able to activate Windows on this device", then i pressed "I recently changed hardware on this device" and got that:"Unable to...
  6. Win 10 activation after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 activation after hardware change: What i need to do afer changing motherboard and processor to get rid of error 0xC004F211?I used Troubleshoot tool, but the output was "We werent able to activate Windows on this device", then i pressed "I recently changed hardware on this device" and got that:"Unable to...
  7. Win 10 activation after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Activation problem after hardware change

Activation problem after hardware change: Hello, I recently change my motherboard. It is now broken and i cannot get the product key anymore. I got my new PC and was expecting that after logging my account i can transfer my Windows 10 license to the new PC. Now it keeps saying that it needs product key which i...
  9. win 10 activation after hardware change

win 10 activation after hardware change: Hello, Upgraded my PC for Christmas, everything new, except SSD HD, created a USB repair stick from SSD to load a new larger HD, installed fine but will not activate, originally had win 7 family pack and did the free win 10 upgrade, tried changing the key using the...
  10. Win 10 activation after hardware changes.

Win 10 activation after hardware changes.: I have two Windows 10 Pro machines. One was an HP Pavilion Slimline S3714UK, 4GB RAM, E8400 CPU, Nvidia chipset. The other, an HP DC5800SFF, 8GB RAM, E8400, Intel Q33 chipset. Yesterday, I received an HP 600 Pro SFF machine to replace the DC5800 as main box. The 5800 then...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. activation problems after hardware change win10