Windows 10: Problems after burning data to DVD-R - still allow format/delete?

Discus and support Problems after burning data to DVD-R - still allow format/delete? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This may be a very simple answer to a general problem. Using Windows 10 64bit Home version. Copying photos to DVD as a data file, I have used File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by burnon17, Mar 29, 2017.

1. burnon17 Win User

Problems after burning data to DVD-R - still allow format/delete?

This may be a very simple answer to a general problem. Using Windows 10 64bit Home version. Copying photos to DVD as a data file, I have used File Explorer with the drag & drop/copy paste method of selecting files & pasting them to DVD. I then burn the files to DVD & it completes process what seems ok. I was just checking an old disc recently discovered to my horror (!) that a load of photos I had backed up on DVD-R discs over the past few years in addition to keeping them on external drive as backup, can be accessed by Windows File Explorer with the option of still FORMATING DVD Disc or even DELETING individual files on the disc. I know that I finalized them all after disc was burned. I have even tried the same problem again on my PC & also on another PC today using Windows 10 & also 7 & come back with the same problem. So I don't think it is a Hardware issue, unless the Laser lens all need a clean. My DVD Writer Drive is a year old: Samsung Model SH-224FB. Am I doing something wrong or have Microsoft in the background been doing something with the updates? I have even tried other Software like Nero & also free software infraRecorder & CDBurnerXp with the same problem. Or should I avoid using Window's own system & copy files to an image file & burn to iso? All I want to do is make sure my data is Permanently/securely eched/burned on the DVD Disc so that no one can delete files in error. Can anyone help/point me in right direction? All help will be gratefully appreciated.*Cool

:)

burnon17, Mar 29, 2017

2. Movie Maker using Windows 10 - how do I make a DVD to play on my tv

1. The video was made after the upgrade.

2. Format - wlmp

3. Could not burn disc

4. It got saved as a file with wlmp format - It will play on the computer

but no disc was able to be burned.

I tried numerous methods to save/burn. I tried importing file into Nemo but that tells me disc isn't proper format. I use DVD+R disc which had always burned before.

I had made one other video after 10 upgrade & that worked just fine. I have it and can play it on DVD players, or send it to Face Book which I did.

I've printed pages of tutorials, and I still cannot save to DVD.

I do need help for sure.

Ethel Richardson, Mar 29, 2017
  3. Getting a DVD/CD ready to be recorded on

For best compatibility especially with stand-alone CD/DVD players you should select "With a CD/DVD player" (obviously, as the name suggests). With this you can only burn once per CD-R or DVD-R, so you need to select all your data to ideally fill the disc
    at one go.

On the other hand "Like a USB Flash Drive" will not close/finalize the disc and even though you might be using a CD-R or DVD-R instead of RW, it'll still allow you to add files with subsequent burning sessions on the same disc (eventually when the disc is
    full it'll be closed/finalized). Not all players can handle such discs though.

RobertJWin, Mar 29, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Are you sure it is a DVD-R and not a DVD-RW? DVD-RWs cannot be write protected, they always retain the ability to be erased and reused.

If you right click on the drive in file explorer do you get an option to Close Session?

You can also try IMGBURN:
    The Official ImgBurn Website

In ImgBurn, click Tools -> Drive -> Close Track / Session / Disc

and close the disc.

NavyLCDR, Mar 29, 2017
  5. burnon17 Win User
    Hi there. Yes it is DVD-R . I don't use the DVD-RW discs. Not sure if it actually says: close session. When the files have been burned I close the box that mentions do you want to use another disc to burn again etc, then I take the disc out & it is when I have checked that I have found the problem, sometimes not always straight away (!). In some instances the format option & delete is not shown & then later using the same disc I find it has appeared? Maybe faulty DVD discs? Mind you I have used different brands this with similar results.

burnon17, Mar 29, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can also try IMGBURN:
    The Official ImgBurn Website

In ImgBurn, click Tools -> Drive -> Close Track / Session / Disc

and close the disc.

NavyLCDR, Mar 29, 2017
  7. burnon17 Win User
    Thank you for your help. I have used Imgburn & this seems to work ok. I then reused File Explorer, checked close sesson was selected afterwards. When a few minutes later I put disc back in I found all the options inc. format disc/close seession. Selected format disc to make sure all was ok . . . format went ahead & formated the disc/wiped all the photos off the dvd-r disc! So problem is still there & also tried on another PC. Still none the wiser. I've burned dvds/cds for many years with no problems. Only seems to have happened in recent time. Hopefully Imgburn is more reliable?

burnon17, Mar 29, 2017
  8. kipper Win User

Are you saying you tried to wipe the photos from the DVD Disc???? If that is what you are trying to do it will not happen.......sorry if I am not understanding what you are saying....

kipper, Mar 29, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    IMGBURN might allow you to actually close the disk. When the disk is properly closed, the free space shown on the disk should go to 0.

NavyLCDR, Mar 29, 2017
  10. spunk Win User
    DVD-R discs are write once media., files on a DVD-R cannot be erased. The options to Format and Delete may be there, but if you select it, it will say it cannot be completed, it won't change the files on the disc.

spunk, Mar 29, 2017
  11. You can set DVD-R disks up for drag and drop. Its called multisession. Setup that way you can add files and delete files. What happens when you delete them is their entry is removed from the file table. The file is still there, you just can't see it. You don't get the space back but its not accessible anymore. If you finalize the session that's it, no more altering that disk.

alphanumeric, Mar 30, 2017
  12. burnon17 Win User
    Hi Kipper,

Been busy past few days. I thought I had explained quite clearly. Yes, I tried to erase files & it DID ERASE them! I tried this test to see if there was a problem & it looks like there is. I expect there are many users that don't even check to see what is going on with their pcs/discs etc. I came across this & thought I would ask. What should happen is that when you use a DVD-R disc files are burned to disc permenantly & can't be erased & anything else added once Windows formats/finalises Disc, which I assumed had happened. I got a message to say done & how I came to to query things was when I noticed menu showing FORMAT, an Option to DELETE files. I simply checked this & to my dismay found disc was not burned fully for some reason, that I am still trying to solve. Hopefully will get to the bottom of puzzle very soon . . .

burnon17, Mar 31, 2017
  13. burnon17 Win User

Hi Spunk,

Thank you for help. Please see my comment to Kipper.

burnon17, Mar 31, 2017
  14. kipper Win User
    Hopefully you did download and install ImgBurn........if you did could I talk you into try to burn your disc again with ImgBurn and let's see if this happens again......

What is the make and model of your burner and what is the brand of DVD disc you are using, is it +R or -R.......

Hope we can get to the bottom of this..

kipper, Mar 31, 2017
  15. kipper Win User
    kipper, Mar 31, 2017
Thema:

1. Problems after burning data to DVD-R - still allow format/delete? - Similar Threads - Problems burning data

2. How to format a burned dvd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to format a burned dvd: I have a burned dvd rw and i tryed to format it but i get the message "windows couldnt format this device" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-a-burned-dvd/d5c37ccc-27d4-4cc2-ab56-4b41652eb32a
  3. How to format a burned dvd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to format a burned dvd: I have a burned dvd rw and i tryed to format it but i get the message "windows couldnt format this device" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-a-burned-dvd/d5c37ccc-27d4-4cc2-ab56-4b41652eb32a
  4. How to format a burned dvd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to burn a DVD-R or DVD-RW

How to burn a DVD-R or DVD-RW: I have loads of personal home videos that I have downloaded from Apple icloud. I would like to save them to DVD's as gifts for the family. Each time I click on "Burn files" the process cancels. I have looked all over the internet for information but all I find is offers for...
  6. How to burn a DVD-R or DVD-RW

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to burn a DVD-R or DVD-RW: I have loads of personal home videos that I have downloaded from Apple icloud. I would like to save them to DVD's as gifts for the family. Each time I click on "Burn files" the process cancels. I have looked all over the internet for information but all I find is offers for...
  7. DVD burning problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DVD burning problem: DVD burning problem, as soon as it is 99% complete, error 0xc0ΑΑ0301 appears, it happens on a DELL inspiron 15, 5000 Series laptop using windows 10 pro software and other software without the same problem. Is it possible to fix it? Thanks!...
  8. I want to burn Movies to a DVD+R disk.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I want to burn Movies to a DVD+R disk.: I want to burn Movies to a DVD+R disk. My computer oesn't recognize the disk and suggests I format it. When I tried I was told it will make my compter stop. I have Windows 10 fully updated...
  9. Problem burning Windows ISO file to DVD-R with Nero and IMGBURN

Problem burning Windows ISO file to DVD-R with Nero and IMGBURN: I need help with burning ISO file with Nero Express 2017 and with ImgBurn they both finish the burn but with warnings. Nero Express had the following warnings in the log; *Mad 17:56:08 #27 CDR -1194 File Writer.cpp, Line 301 PMA update failure E: HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW...
  10. Burning DVD Video to DVD-R?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Burning DVD Video to DVD-R?: Hey guys, I'm running Windows 10 Pro here. I just created a DVD I want to play on a friend's DVD player using the app 'DVD Flick' and it's created 2 folders: "VIDEO_TS" and "AUDIO_TS", but I don't know how to put them onto a DVD...? I don't want to use a 3rd party app...