Windows 10: Problems connecting a hard drive from another computer

Discus and support Problems connecting a hard drive from another computer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I changed of computer and now I am trying to connect my old hard drive (coming from a Windows 10 computer) using a USB however I am receving several... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by alenguav, Jan 3, 2018.

1. alenguav Win User

Problems connecting a hard drive from another computer

I changed of computer and now I am trying to connect my old hard drive (coming from a Windows 10 computer) using a USB however I am receving several permission error messages.

Any suggestion to solve this problem?

:)

alenguav, Jan 3, 2018
  2. sparks292 Win User

connecting a hard drive from one laptop to another

Hello and thanks for this forum!

I bought a Vantec USB to SATA adaptor to connect a hardrive from my old laptop (HP pavilion DV6500/Vista) to my new laptop(Dell Inspirion 5000/ windows 10) to try and retrieve some pictures and documents I had on the old laptop which no longer works. The
    device is recognized but when I right click on it the only options are create shortcut, remove device, troubleshoot, and properties. I ran the troubleshoot option and it said the problem found was the USB device might have stopped responding. I don't know
    what this means.

Shouldn't I be able to plug this in, open and see the pics and documents I had on the old pavilion? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

sparks292, Jan 3, 2018
  3. connecting a hard drive from one laptop to another

Here is how to
    Post a screenshot of Disk Mgmt

You can also install the hard drive in the PC then follow
    Rescue Files when Windows Won't Start
    to copy them out from booted media as shown in link.

You may need a powered drive adapter which also provides power to the drive. Even then these don't always work as externals for various reasons including the adapter.

To know for sure the condition of the drive while it is installed run the maker's
    HD Diagnostic extended CD scan, followed by a

Disk Check
    from the command prompt in the bootable media's

Advanced Startup Options

Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I'll keep working with you until it's resolved.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jan 3, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. If its come from another pc the owner will be from the old pc so you wont have any rights on it youwill have to take ownership of the folders

Samuria, Jan 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Problems connecting a hard drive from another computer - Similar Threads - Problems connecting hard

2. Question about transferring a hard drive from one computer to another.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about transferring a hard drive from one computer to another.: So I was going to buy a new computer, and was wondering if I could simply take the hard drive out of my current one and put it into the new one and keep all the files on it. And no the hard drive doesn't have the OS on it, just game files....
  3. Question about transferring a hard drive from one computer to another.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about transferring a hard drive from one computer to another.: So I was going to buy a new computer, and was wondering if I could simply take the hard drive out of my current one and put it into the new one and keep all the files on it. And no the hard drive doesn't have the OS on it, just game files....
  4. Computer hard drive? Problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer hard drive? Problems: I have looked on multiple sites for solutions but I am being tag teamed by multiple problems including Srt.TrailTxt aka automatic repair loop is the main one then from the left corner comes Write Protection to make sure I cannot use the ChkDsk command to fix it OK annoying...
  5. Connecting a computer to a hard drive that is connected to a router

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Connecting a computer to a hard drive that is connected to a router: I have two computers (both windows 10) that I need to connect to a router that I have connected to my router. One of the computers connected just fine but the other one can not see devices on my network. I have tried many things and nothing seems to work. Any help would be...
  6. Transfer from one hard drive to another?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer from one hard drive to another?: I had a 120GB SSD and decided, since I'm running low on space, to upgrade to a 480GB SSD. However, I wanted to use the 120GB for something else now (Linux) and then use the 480GB as the main hard drive. That being said, since my Windows 10 OS (and saved files) is on my 120GB...
  7. Moving games from C Drive to another Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving games from C Drive to another Hard Drive: Hello, I am trying to free up space on my C Drive Where Windows 10 Home is installed. How do I move games installed on C Drive to another Hard Drive? I have 2 additional Hard Drives on my PC. How do I do this without buying a program to do it. I want a simple solution to...
  8. Moving Hard Drive to Another Computer and Activating Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Hard Drive to Another Computer and Activating Windows: My screen on my old computer went out. So I moved my hard drive to my sister computer. Her computer was down as the hard drive was bad. I was running Windows 10 home She was running Windows 7 Pro. So in moving my harddrive it is requesting me to activate my copy of...
  9. Backup from one external hard drive to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup from one external hard drive to another: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 laptop with the latest version of Windows 10. I have been backing up my photos from one external hard drive to another (both 2TB) using Windows 7 backup and restore for a few years. After copying all my images to a 5TB drive, and having another blank...
  10. Transfering Hard Drive from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfering Hard Drive from one computer to another: I have an old computer that has win 10 on a SSD. I'd like to transfer the old SSD to a completely new rig and get rid of the old hardware. How do I do it?...