Windows 10: Problems connecting to router via Wi-Fi, tried many different fixes

Discus and support Problems connecting to router via Wi-Fi, tried many different fixes in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I've got a brand new Dell XPS 13 9350 and I'm having big problems connecting to my houses Wi-Fi network. I live in a student apartment building... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Phantomcave, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Problems connecting to router via Wi-Fi, tried many different fixes

Hello, I've got a brand new Dell XPS 13 9350 and I'm having big problems connecting to my houses Wi-Fi network. I live in a student apartment building and we all share Wi-Fi.
    95% of the time I simply get the "can't connect to this network" message. The few times I manage to connect it fades away in about five minutes and either comes back for another five minutes or disappears for good.

My other devices, that aren't running Win 10(android phone, chromecast), have never had any problem whatsoever with the connection.
    I also have a desktop that runs Win 10 and connects via Wi-Fi with an ASUS PCE adapter. The desktop connected fine for about 3 months and then I got the exact same problem I have with my laptop now. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it to connect to the houses Wi-Fi connection. After days of googling and trying different fixes I installed this Broadcom BCM-43xx Wireless Lan Drivers Version 7.35.308.0 WHQL driver and the problem was instantly solved.

Now, with my laptop I think I've tried all the most common fixes; forgetting the network and adding it manually, searching for the latest drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling the latest drivers from Dell's website, turning off 20/40 coexistance, turning off IPv6(not by tweaking the registry though), manually setting the DNS server IP, disabling all AV and firewall...
    I don't know what to do anymore.

To summarize: Win 10 desktop connects fine and so does android phone and chromecast but not my new laptop(connects fine to other networks though).
    I'm guessing it's got to have something to do with Win 10 and/or some driver/setting based on the circumstances.

Laptop specs:
    Network adapter: DW1820A 2x2 802.11ac 2,4/5 GHz
    Driver: 1.519.0.0
    Manufacturer/Driver provider: Broadcom

Desktop specs:
    Network adapter: ASUS PCE-AC68
    Driver: 7.35.308.0
    Manufacturer/Driver provider: Broadcom

Router: Netgear CG3700EMR-1CMNDS

:)

Phantomcave, Nov 27, 2015
  2. Sheldrick Win User

N8 does not connect via wifi

Hey Anubis_rpg, Welcome to the Nokia forums!

I was wondering how many computers you have connected to your router and what router you are using?

It may sounds cliché but have you tried resetting your router? usually a router reset will fix this problem if you are having difficulties connecting/staying connected to the Wi-Fi.

Sheldrick, Nov 27, 2015
  3. No internet access

ST, By chance I had a broadband failure and to check this out I swapped to a spare router (Zyxel) . Once the broadband supplier fixed the problem (proved in their exchange and not my old router) I stayed with the Zyxel router which has no Wi-Fi connection/reconnection
    problems.

So my original Wi-Fi fault must had been with my original Belkin router. I suspect it my be the distance from the laptop etc to the router, try reducing the distance between your router/laptop.

If your using 5.2GHz Wi-Fi has a very limited range circa 10 feet then tries to 2.4GHz this maybe where the problem lies.

But as I say a different router sorted my Wi-Fi reconnection issues.

BrianLC350, Nov 27, 2015
  4. Pdanger Win User

Problems connecting to router via Wi-Fi, tried many different fixes

Hi, I am having the exact same issues and also took the same actions as you.
    So I don't have a fix but I do feel your pain.
    I have been searching the net and nothing I found on there works but if I do I will post it here.

Hope you find a solution!

Pdanger, Nov 27, 2015
  5. Just sharing how far I've gotten with the issue so far:
    This is from my thread on windows10forums
    :
    Tim Locke:

Phantomcave, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Problems connecting to router via Wi-Fi, tried many different fixes

1. Problems connecting to router via Wi-Fi, tried many different fixes - Similar Threads - Problems connecting router

2. Wi-Fi Connection problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi Connection problem: The problem is when I connect to my wi-fi network with my pc the whole network lag and every device be laggyAnd if I disconnect, the network just works normally and other devices work on the internet well but if I tried to connect the network lags again,So please help me and...
  3. Wi-Fi Connection problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-Fi Connection problem: The problem is when I connect to my wi-fi network with my pc the whole network lag and every device be laggyAnd if I disconnect, the network just works normally and other devices work on the internet well but if I tried to connect the network lags again,So please help me and...
  4. Wi-Fi Connection problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Can't connect via Ethernet. No problems with connecting via Wi Fi

Can't connect via Ethernet. No problems with connecting via Wi Fi: I have no problems connecting my HP All in One to Wifi but I can not connect with Ethernet hardwired. Please help. Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-connect-via-ethernet-no-problems-with/d9c8db7d-0713-4039-b58e-40328eeed469
  6. Fix Wi-Fi Connection Problems Wi-Fi connection method disappeared

Fix Wi-Fi Connection Problems Wi-Fi connection method disappeared: The Wi-Fi shortcut is disappeared from the start bar. Even the Wi-Fi shortcut in the setting at the Network & Internet section has gone. After troubleshooting the issue, it pop up 'There might be a problem with the driver for the Wi-Fi adapter'. Furthermore, I'm currently not...
  7. Wi-fi connection problem

Wi-fi connection problem: After an update my Laptop does not have Wi-fi option anymore....I tried trouble shooting.......it says" A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken''...I need help quickly..please anyone...
  8. sharing a PC's Wi-Fi connection via a wired router

sharing a PC's Wi-Fi connection via a wired router: [Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Version 2004. OS Build 19569.rs_prerelease.200214-1419] I have recently moved and it is no longer physically possible to connect my desktop PC to the internet via an Ethernet connection to my TRENDnet TEW-711BR H/W:V1.1RU wireless router....
  9. Wi-Fi connection problem

Wi-Fi connection problem: Every time my WiFi disconnects after 10-20 mins and when I run the troubleshooter the problem gets fixed and again after sometime wifi disconnects, and it continues. I need a proper solution, please help me.(I am using Windows 10 version 1909)[IMG]...
  10. Sky router and wi fi problems.

Sky router and wi fi problems.: I recently changed my graphics from an AD Radeon to an Nvidea Geoforce graphics card and I have since not been able to connect my pc to the Internet. I run my sky router by lead direct from my pc but it doesn't want to connect. It is most frustrating, as the wifi is working...