Windows 10: Problems Copying a file from Downloads folder?

Discus and support Problems Copying a file from Downloads folder? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; .exe files in particular won't copy from my Downloads folder to another drive? It says something like " Do you wish to Copy with missing files? "... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Composer, May 3, 2016.

1. Composer Win User

Problems Copying a file from Downloads folder?

.exe files in particular won't copy from my Downloads folder to another drive?

It says something like " Do you wish to Copy with missing files? "

Thanks

:)

Composer, May 3, 2016

2. Copying a file from external disk locks windows explorer

I have a HD "My Passport" 1TB USB external drive. When I try to copy a file onto my Acer Aspire E1 the progress window stops and Window Explorer won't respond to any other mouse/board action. It eventually clears itself but does the same if I repeat the
    copy. The HD light remains on. The external disk works fine with other laptops. Any ideas?

KimOntheweb, May 3, 2016
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Copying a file from external disk locks windows explorer

Hi Kim,

Corrupted system files may be the possible cause why when you tried to copy a file the progress window stops responding. To efficiently assist you, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • Could you tell us what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    to scan for corruption and restore corrupted files. We also recommend that you perform the instructions in this

article
    to restore Windows corruptions errors.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, May 3, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

How exactly are you trying to do the copy?

Ztruker, May 4, 2016
  5. Composer Win User
    I have tried ' Copy & Paste ' & Drag & Drop!

Thanks

Composer, May 4, 2016
  6. Wullail Win User
    Can you try again and make a note of the exact error message.

Wullail, May 4, 2016
  7. Composer Win User
    Tried copying from Downloads folder to USB device!

I must admit that since then it copies ok?

I have been fiddling with my User - Admin account!

Would that have caused the initial problem copying?

Thanks

Composer, May 4, 2016
  8. Wullail Win User

Ok, that issue is often when you try and copy from an NTFS formatted drive to a drive formatted in FAT32 or another incompatible format , the disk index system just doesn't have the same information as the NTFS drive.

If this IS the case and you desperately need to keep the file properties , you'd need to re-format the disk as an NTFS format drive.

Otherwise it shouldn't really affect the copied files.

Wullail, May 4, 2016
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Right! Bet the USB drive is formatted as FAT or FAt32.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Problems Copying a file from Downloads folder? - Similar Threads - Problems Copying file

2. No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]: Hi everyone,The o/s is W10 Pro with two account, the "main" one has always been admin standard and has never caused problems.The "secondary" is "user" and the one causing problems: I can no longer copy/move files in folder or from folder to folder. The desktop screen flashes...
  3. No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]: Hi everyone,The o/s is W10 Pro with two account, the "main" one has always been admin standard and has never caused problems.The "secondary" is "user" and the one causing problems: I can no longer copy/move files in folder or from folder to folder. The desktop screen flashes...
  4. File Copies in Folders

File Copies in Folders: Using WIN not using One Drive -I made a new folder to copy certain documents into it to have a folder dedicated for a specific topic. I copied the files from one folder to the next. I made some changes to the names of the files. I closed the folder. When I reopened it later...
  5. File Copies in Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Copies in Folders: Using WIN not using One Drive -I made a new folder to copy certain documents into it to have a folder dedicated for a specific topic. I copied the files from one folder to the next. I made some changes to the names of the files. I closed the folder. When I reopened it later...
  6. File Copies in Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Can't not open "moved" or "copied" files from windows 10 "Downloads" folder folder type:...

Can't not open "moved" or "copied" files from windows 10 "Downloads" folder folder type:...: Hello! Windows 10 can't opening excel, pdf, doc files when I move files from system folder "downloads" to another location. Message Error on excel files "We couldn't open that file. Rename the file to use a shorter name or copy it to a different folder with a shorter path"...
  8. Problem with deleted files from Downloads folder again

Problem with deleted files from Downloads folder again: So, I had win 8.1 and recently updated to win 10. I earlier only downloaded files in :C because I didn't create another drive out of it. So I did it in win 10 partitioning the drives during booting up your system After that, I tried taking all my files in downloads folder...
  9. Problem with deleted files from Downloads folder

Problem with deleted files from Downloads folder: So, I had win 8.1 and recently updated to win 10. I earlier only downloaded files in :C because I didn't create another drive out of it. So I did it in win 10 partitioning the drives during booting up your system After that, I tried taking all my files in downloads folder to...
  10. Copying files from a folder using filenames from a text file

Copying files from a folder using filenames from a text file: I have a folder that contains approx. 17,000 images, I want to copy only those images, whose filenames are listed in a text file. The text file contains approx. 1000 file names. Is there a command that I can use on cmd or power shell to automate this process? Otherwise I...