Windows 10: Problems dual booting Windows 7/10 (UEFI?)

Discus and support Problems dual booting Windows 7/10 (UEFI?) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, This is my situation: Running Windows 10 x64 on a UEFI-system. Trying to install Windows 7 x64 on a VHD for dual booting (such as in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by remco8264, Dec 15, 2015.

1. remco8264 Win User

Problems dual booting Windows 7/10 (UEFI?)

Hi all,

This is my situation:

I running into troubles that I think are having to do with UEFI. Secure boot is disabled.

I've tried these things:

Situation 1:
    • Create a bootable USB using Rufus (GPT partition)
    • When booting I get this error.

Situation 2:
    • Mount the VHD.
    • Manually install Windows 7 using Dism /apply-image command.
    • Add bootfiles
    • Add entry in Boot Loader (using EasyBCD).
    • When booting I get a black screen (nothing else, even ''starting Windows'' does not occur).

So currently I have no idea what to do next. Could anyone give me assistance?

Thanks in advance!

:)

remco8264, Dec 15, 2015
  2. Tryx3 Win User
    Tryx3, Dec 15, 2015
  3. gscosta Win User
    Dual Boot Change from Windows 8.1 & 7 to Windows 10 & 7

I have a dual boot Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.

(1) Is it possible to have a triple boot Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7?

(2) If not, can I just upgrade the Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 to have a dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7? Or do I have to do the normal dual boot set-up?

gscosta, Dec 15, 2015
  4. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

That's what's caused it. So, yes it is UEFI related and GPT related too.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 15, 2015
  5. remco8264 Win User
    Thanks! So I should follow the steps again without adding the Boot Loader Entry?

remco8264, Dec 15, 2015
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Either that or using the inbuilt command bcdedit but I'm no expert on that one on a VHD.

Bottom line is EasyBCD isn't really UEFI aware which is why it wrote a MBR to the disk and you now see the textual boot menu.

I'm assuming you didn't try to boot the machine to the VHD prior to running EasyBCD ?

So far, the only boot record editor other than the one that comes with Windows itself I've used reliably is Bo Yans' VisualBCD.

Have you tried letting Windows set up trying to self repair the start up problem running from the install media ?
    Not that that has ever worked for me once VisualBCD had had a go a the boot record but YMMV.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 15, 2015
  7. remco8264 Win User
    I tried it again today, but it still boots to a black screen. I'm wondering if there are any old boot files left behind, as I got a Windows 7 style boot loader.

These were the exact steps I followed:

In disk management:1. I created a new expandable VHD.
    2. I initialized the VHD. It asked for the partition style (GPT/MBR). I chose GPT.
    3. I created a new NTFS volume on the VHD and assigned drive letter X: to it.
    4. I mounted the Windows 7 ISO on drive E:

In the Command Prompt
    5. I installed Windows on the VHD using the following command:
    Dism /apply-image /imagefile:E:\sources\install.wim /index:4 /ApplyDir:X:
    6. I added boot files to the partition using the following command:
    bcdboot X:\Windows (source)

I have attached a screenshot of the boot entries.

Thank you for your help *Smile
    Problems dual booting Windows 7/10 (UEFI?) [​IMG]

remco8264, Dec 16, 2015
  8. remco8264 Win User

I also noticed that I seem to have two recovery partitions (450 MB each) on my primary drive. Is this normal? Could it have something to dow with the problem?

Below is a screenshot of my disk manager:

Problems dual booting Windows 7/10 (UEFI?) [​IMG]

remco8264, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Problems dual booting Windows 7/10 (UEFI?) - Similar Threads - Problems dual booting

2. Dual booting Windows 7 and 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting Windows 7 and 10: I have a PC running Windows 7 Home Premium, boot mode is 'Legacy BIOS in UEFI secure boot not supported', motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87X-D3H with a 100 Mhz bus, 16GB memory and 'UEFI: American Megatrends F5 05/16/2013' with a 250GB SSD. I want to dual boot with W7 and W10....
  3. Dual Boot Windows 10 using uefi

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dual Boot Windows 10 using uefi: I have 30 computers and want to run two labs with software products that are not compatible. Drive 1 has a windows 10 image and software A. Drive 2 has a windows 10 image and software B. When I boot into bios I see the two hard drives and can select either Drive 1 or 2...
  4. Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10

Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10: I have Windows 7 on my C: drive, I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft onto a USB connected SATA drive on my laptop. (drive F:) When I go to install Windows 10 it does not ask me what drive I want to install it to. Will it automatically install to the F: drive since that is...
  5. Dual boot Windows 10 & Ubuntu UEFI

Dual boot Windows 10 & Ubuntu UEFI: Hello World I install W10 & ubuntu in dual boot on my new computer. I want to use Windows boot loader instead of GRUB. It is in UEFI so I can not use easy BCD, and I have to use easy UEFI. But I am completely lost I can not find clear info. This is the objective: [ATTACH]...
  6. Dual booting Windows 10 and 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Windows 10 and 7: I have a machine with the following specs: i5 3570K 8GB DDR3 1600 Z77 Pro4-M HD7950 1x1TB WD Blue (D:\ and F:\ Windows 7 x64) 1x250GB Seagate Surveillance HDD (C:\) (Windows 10 x64) Windows 7 is installed on the 1TB drive, and Windows 10 is installed on the 250GB drive. At...
  7. Windows 10 Install UEFI and Windows 7 Dual boot Question

Windows 10 Install UEFI and Windows 7 Dual boot Question: Just wondering if I Install windows 10 on UEFI to my Samsung 950 Pro ssd,is there a way to keep my other 2 mbr partitions dual boot windows 7's on my pc and convert the 2 win 7's somehow to UEFI.Just wondering if it can be done or is my dual boot 7's gone. 72462
  8. Dual boot windows 10 & 7

Dual boot windows 10 & 7: Hello I have a computer with windows 7 home premium 64 bit with a genuine licence. I have two identicle SSDs (with different serial numbers obviously) I want to run windows 7 on one. I want to put the image of the original on the second and have a dual boot. Software...
  9. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...
  10. Dual boot 10 & 7 BIOS/UEFI possible issues

Dual boot 10 & 7 BIOS/UEFI possible issues: I dual boot to 2 different windows 7 installs. I have my primary for day to day stuff and the second install is for my DAW. I don't want to update the DAW to 10 because of the issues it may cause. I do want to update my primary install to 10. Can this be done or will I run...