Windows 10: Problems getting updates after fresh install, but not with upgrade ?

Discus and support Problems getting updates after fresh install, but not with upgrade ? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have installed W10 on one HD via the upgrade method and then managed to get the updates ok. A couple of days later I decided to create a completely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by FredM8, Oct 16, 2015.

1. FredM8 Win User

Problems getting updates after fresh install, but not with upgrade ?

I have installed W10 on one HD via the upgrade method and then managed to get the updates ok.
    A couple of days later I decided to create a completely new fresh install on another HD. This went in ok but when I try to get the updates for this the whole procedure just 'Hangs' and does nothing ? I have tried leaving it for a few hours but still nothing happens. I am able to browse the internet ok so the connection is fine ( as fine as it gets anyway )
    Has anyone got a solution for this ?
    The upgrade was from W7 home premium to W10 home premium.
    The fresh install was W10 home premium.

I am posting this message from my W7 HD

The Latest

I went back to my W10 HD and tried again and lots of the stuff downloaded, I don't know why. It went so far then just seemed to stop half way through the Windows Defender download. I went directly into Windows Defender and went through the update routine, it faltered a couple of times and I just clicked 'try again' and it all went in. I then shutdown and restarted, went to the normal update screen in W10 and went through the normal update process and everything was ok. I now have all available updates to my fresh install. But I am not going to use W10 yet until I have a few bits ironed out, not least of which is stopping the auto download of updates.

:)

FredM8, Oct 16, 2015

2. Is there a Fully Up-to-Date download of Windows 10 available?

Depends on if your upgrading your existing Windows or doing a fresh install. So naturally if your running an older Windows build and choose upgrade now, it will of course upgrade and give you that message. If you perform a fresh installation with the ISO,
    then the only updates that would come through are the incremental updates Windows releases every month since the fall update was released in November. Those should be small and only install after the fresh installation. Does that help to clarify things?

MikeSnyder61704, Oct 16, 2015
  3. Computer not shutting down upon Windows 10 upgrade

I have a similar problem. Fresh install of Windows 10 Pro (not upgrade). System will not shut down or restart after installing updates. I tried a fresh install of Windows 10 on two separate drives (one SSD one SATA). This is
    very frustrating. Method 1 and 2 above did not work.

MB: ASUS Z87-A with latest BIOS

EvanThompsonPL, Oct 16, 2015
Thema:

Problems getting updates after fresh install, but not with upgrade ?

1. Problems getting updates after fresh install, but not with upgrade ? - Similar Threads - Problems getting updates

2. Keep getting BSOD after fresh install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keep getting BSOD after fresh install: I have tried memtest and driver verifier nothing seems to be able to identify the problem.here are a few dumpshttps://1drv.ms/f/s!AnZ7wzN6iCUxmzk8_uMUqUC37iA5?e=6XExAu...
  3. Keep getting BSOD after fresh install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keep getting BSOD after fresh install: I have tried memtest and driver verifier nothing seems to be able to identify the problem.here are a few dumpshttps://1drv.ms/f/s!AnZ7wzN6iCUxmzk8_uMUqUC37iA5?e=6XExAu...
  4. Device security problem after fresh install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Device security problem after fresh install: Hello Microsoft Community,I recently did a fresh install of Windows 11 using my current version is Version22H2 OS build 22621.1105.After finishing the installation and updating all drivers, Windows security app, alerted me to a problem. Under the tab Device security it now...
  5. Device security problem after fresh install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device security problem after fresh install: Hello Microsoft Community,I recently did a fresh install of Windows 11 using my current version is Version22H2 OS build 22621.1105.After finishing the installation and updating all drivers, Windows security app, alerted me to a problem. Under the tab Device security it now...
  6. Background updates after fresh install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Background updates after fresh install?: A week or two ago I had to reinstall my Windows. Since then I am slowed down by frequent 99% CPU because System interrupts are hogging CPU time. My System interrupts have a 'Very high' Power usage. When I switch to another program I am staring at the screen while nothing...
  7. Fresh Install Problems

Fresh Install Problems: Hi there. I'm noticing some random issues after a fresh install of Windows 10 on my laptop. I used the "Media Creation Tool" to create an installation via USB. Afterwards I installed updated drivers pre-downloaded via Dells website, then installed any updates Windows had....
  8. Weird problems after a fresh 1809 install.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Weird problems after a fresh 1809 install.: After a fresh Windows 10 Pro x64 install (1809 ISO from MS) I'm having some problems. My Microsoft account picture cannot be displayed on start menu or the account menu on settings and my Windows Store download speed is super slow, I can't update my Windows Store apps...
  9. Fresh install of windows 10 after upgrading?

in Windows 10 Support
    Fresh install of windows 10 after upgrading?: So I have upgraded from W7 to W10. But there is all kinds of annoying bugs and problems that my friend who did a fresh install doesn't have. So I want to just re-install a fresh W10 rather this upgraded version from W7. How can i do this now that I already upgraded? 20799
  10. Will it be upgrade first then Fresh Install

Will it be upgrade first then Fresh Install: hi if i missed the article on upgrading please forgive, when win 10 is finally available, i want to do a fresh install, so does that mean when it comes out i have to update first to get my license then start all over again to install a fresh copy? i always imaged my previous...