Windows 10: Problems installing Windows 10 to built PC using flash drive

Discus and support Problems installing Windows 10 to built PC using flash drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just built my first PC and I'm having problems installing Windows 10 on it. I don't have an optical drive so I'm trying to install off a flash drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by roflconlol, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Problems installing Windows 10 to built PC using flash drive

I just built my first PC and I'm having problems installing Windows 10 on it. I don't have an optical drive so I'm trying to install off a flash drive. I downloaded Windows Media Creation Tool but it doesn't recognize the flash drive so I created an ISO. Then I used Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool and I also tried Rufus to put it on the flash drive. When I use Rufus and plug it into the PC it loads up a black screen. When I use Windows 7 USB Download Tool to put it on the flash drive, it just stays on this loading screen for about 5 minutes then the logo disappears to a black screen and nothing else happens.

:)

roflconlol, Dec 9, 2016

2. Got the wrong version of Windows 10 Home on my USB Flash Drive...

I just built a desktop computer, with most of the parts coming from Newegg. I ordered Windows 10 home 64-bit on a USB flash drive. When I went to install the Windows 10 home, the USB flash drive was an upgrade version. I tried to return it to Newegg but
    they said I had to go through Microsoft support and get a claim #, and possibly Microsoft could come up with solution to the problem. I have an activation code that came with the USB flash drive and I need a full version of Windows 10 home to to install on
    my new pc.

DavidMenez, Dec 9, 2016
  3. Marduke Win User
    Nov Windows 10 upgrade wont install

I have a home make built computer that I built myself. My main HD is a SSD 500 gig drive. I installed Windows 10 flawlessly, but when I try to install the update from November it will not install. After hitting Fix issue 2 times, it comes up with Windows
    10 can't be installed using a USB flash drive. Obviously I am not doing a USB flash drive, I know the SSD is considered a flash drive in a way. All other updates installed fine. How can I install this?

Thank You

Marduke, Dec 9, 2016
  4. Problems installing Windows 10 to built PC using flash drive

alphanumeric, Dec 9, 2016
  5. I did option 2 and got the same results. The loading screen comes up then goes black after a few minutes.

roflconlol, Dec 9, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would download another ISO file from here:
    Windows 10 ISO

Follow alphanumeric's advice to create a new USB flash drive. Also, might want to try a new flash drive itself - the USB 2.0 flash drives seem to work better, and if the computer you are trying to install to has USB 2.0 ports (black) make sure to use one instead of a USB 3.0 port (blue).

NavyLCDR, Dec 9, 2016
  7. I just went out and bought a 2.0 USB drive because the other one was a 3.0. Still getting the same issue with the direct download ISO and Media Creation Tool ISO no matter if I use Rufus, Windows 7 download Tool, or if I use the way alphanumeric posted. Also tried all possible USB ports. I'm starting to freak out that I paid several hundred for a computer and parts that I can't use.

roflconlol, Dec 9, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Problems installing Windows 10 to built PC using flash drive

NavyLCDR, Dec 9, 2016
  9. I'm not sure if I did this right. I downloaded the "Win10586PESE_x64 ISO v160707" file from the thread you linked, and I replaced the boot.wim file from the flash drive with the boot.wim file from "Win10586PESE_x64 ISO v160707". It's been stuck on the logo loading screen for 10 minutes. It doesn't go black this time but nothing else is happening.

roflconlol, Dec 9, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Sounds like you did it correctly. Seems like you have two choices at the moment, take everything apart, put it back together, make sure everything is tight, make sure all the power connectors are in the right places. If that doesn't work, maybe try downloading one of the self-contained Linux distributions onto the flash drive and see if Linux boots.

NavyLCDR, Dec 9, 2016
  11. Thanks so much for helping me this far! I will give those a shot over the weekend.

roflconlol, Dec 9, 2016
  12. I finally got the Windows 10 installer to start up, but then I ran into another problem. I think the problem might stem from something I did as soon as I built the PC. Bear with me.

I took the computer apart and put it back together with no luck. Then I tried uplugging the HDD and the Windows 10 Installer finally loaded from my flash drive. If the HDD is unplugged from the motherboard the moment (or before) the Windows Installer starts, then the program will load all the way up. Then I am free to reconnect the HDD without the program crashing.

Problems installing Windows 10 to built PC using flash drive [​IMG]

In the program I clicked "Install Now" --> Skipped entering the product key -->chose to Install Windows 10 Pro Version--> clicked "Custom: Install Windows Only". I plugged the HDD back into the motherboard but then I get this screen saying that no drive can be found. In fact, it doesn't matter if I reconnect the HDD the instant the program loads up or right before I click for the installation to begin, I still get this message.

I read online that a solution is to load the motherboard's sata driver from Windows Installer program. I went to my motherboard's website, downloaded the Sata Floppy Image, and put it on a separate USB. In the Windows Installer I clicked "Load Driver" and opened the x64 version of the sata drivers. The program auto selected this driver, even though there about 7 more drivers on the file.

No matter if I install just this one driver it auto selected or all the drivers that came with the Floppy file, I still get the same "We couldn't find any drives" message.

Then I noticed when I click "Load Drivers", my HDD actually does show up shown as "Boot (X: )". Not only that, I think the HDD already has some Windows files on it

Then I remembered something relevant. Before I posted any of this I originally tried to install Windows 7 from a USB drive. The Windows 7 Installation program loaded with no problem, it found my HDD with no problem, but the program got stuck on the very first step which was "Copying Windows Files (0%)...". It was stuck on 0% for 30 minutes so I turned the computer off thinking the program had failed and nothing was written to the HDD. I then tried to install Windows 10 and that's when all of the problems start happening.

Could all of these problems be caused by the HDD already having some Windows files on it? What do I do now?

(The motherbaord is ASRock H110M-HDS with all Bios set to default and the HDD is Western Digital 1TB if that is helps)

roflconlol, Dec 10, 2016
  13. Problems installing Windows 10 to built PC using flash drive

Another OS being detected will get you the Upgrade option as you posted. You can still just select the Custom option below it. Then use the disk tools to delete any and all partitions. You can then partition the drive yourself, if you want. Or just install into the unallocated space. Windows will create all the partitions it needs for the type of install being done, legacy of UEFI.

alphanumeric, Dec 10, 2016
  14. Unplugging the hard drive before boot up, means it was not detected by the BIOS during the POST. Plugging it back in latter on, it was likely still not detected and thus won't show up in Setup.

alphanumeric, Dec 10, 2016
  15. I'm not sure what to do now seeing as I'm not able to run the Windows Setup and my HDD at the same time.

roflconlol, Dec 10, 2016
Thema:

Problems installing Windows 10 to built PC using flash drive

1. Problems installing Windows 10 to built PC using flash drive - Similar Threads - Problems installing built

2. Windows 10 flash Drive Booting problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 flash Drive Booting problem: I'm getting this error while downloading windows 10 for Bootable Flash driveerror code: 0x80070456 0xA001BWindows 10 ISO file downloading cancel many times what should I to fix this error....
  3. Flash drive Problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Flash drive Problems: Using a flash drive to download pictures and vidoes. I can down load a certain number of files, then the files on the drive show are in a completely unplayable format. The drives are 2TB so there is plenty of space. Any help would be very appreciated...
  4. Installing Windows 10 Using a USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing Windows 10 Using a USB Flash Drive: Upon booting the computer from my usb flash drive which has the windows 10 20H2 ISO using Rufus, I am met with a screen which has a white line on the top left corner of my screen. After blinking for a few seconds, the Windows Logo shows for a split second and then the system...
  5. Installing windows 10 in flash drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing windows 10 in flash drive: What assignment unit size do i need to choose? I have the options of: 8192,16,32 and 64kb submitted by /u/lililpotato [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jvgaig/installing_windows_10_in_flash_drive/
  6. install new windows using flash drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    install new windows using flash drive: I am low on C space but have a connected flashdrive showing plenty of space for new windows. Try to install on it but will not go to this memory stick. Same with any new updates. Help?...
  7. Using windows 10 recovery flash drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using windows 10 recovery flash drive.: Has anyone had to try and use their ‘recover flash drive’? I had to recently, started it with no problem. I got a screen that says ‘was not recovered, missing files’. I had to reinstall windows 10 all over again. Why wouldn’t the recovery have all the files that you would...
  8. Problem with flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with flash drive: I use a Dell Inspiron 5379 laptop and a flash drive that has an issue. When I tried to transfer a 2 GB folder, the process stopped at 60% and stuck. Then I heard a sound like USB disconnecting and reconnecting continue. The files are not corrupted but the issue persists. I...
  9. Problem with flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with flash drive: I have a question about my flash drive. It's a 4GB PNY and usually works with no problem when I plug it in. But lately when I plug it into my laptop (a 2 month old laptop with Windows 10), it plays a quick tune indicating I plugged it in, but it doesn't actually show up on my...
  10. Using a SSD as a flash drive for installing windows.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using a SSD as a flash drive for installing windows.: So I know you can install windows through a Flash Drive. I wanted to know if there was anyway to use a extra SSD as a Multiple Partition "Containing Different Windows and standard drivers for that OS" as a bootable installer. Mainly if I'm building a customers computer...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. flash drive issues downloading windows 10