Windows 10: Problems Moving HDD (And Data On It) to Windows 10 From Older Win Sys

Discus and support Problems Moving HDD (And Data On It) to Windows 10 From Older Win Sys in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an old Windows 98 system that I have had around for years and have been preparing to move anything of importance from it to a Windows 10 system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Linus01, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Linus01 Win User

Problems Moving HDD (And Data On It) to Windows 10 From Older Win Sys

I have an old Windows 98 system that I have had around for years and have been preparing to move anything of importance from it to a Windows 10 system in preparation for discarding the Win 98 system. I rarely use it anymore and no longer back up files on it but still would like to move the remaining files on it to a Windows 10 system if possible.

I’m not sure how healthy the HDD on it is however. There is only one HDD on it and the last time I attempted to boot from it, the system said that it could not find a HDD to boot from. I checked and made sure that the drive was spinning and it was spinning normally. I then tried to boot from a CDROM based WIN 98 system and again, the BIOS couldn’t find a boot drive, even after I changed the boot sequence.

Suspecting a possibly bad HDD but not sure whether I had a bad HDD or a bad WIN 98 CPU, I moved the entire IDE HDD to a Windows 10 system, connected it via an IDE/SATA adapter and powered it up as a secondary drive in the Windows 10 system. This time, the BIOS on the Windows 10 system found the old IDE HDD and Disk Management on the Windows 10 system found the drive as well and displayed its capacity.

What DM on the WIN 10 system will NOT let me do however is make the old WIN98 HDD fully useable under the new WIN 10 system. Instead, it displays a message saying that the IDE drive needs to be INITIALIZED under the WIN 10 system which I cannot do of course since it would destroy the data on the drive.

Is there a way for me to recover the data from this HDD under WIN 10? It is not critical data and as such is not backed up. Still, I would like to recover as much of it as possible. As near as I can tell, I should be able to move that old HDD drive into a WIN10 system and read the data from it if the drive is intact. Is that true? If so, do I have a bad HDD and if I do, would rebuilding the MBR on it possibly help?

Thanks for any help.

:)

Linus01, Oct 31, 2017
  2. GSXRRizla Win User

Windows 10 pro HDD exchange

I have an old Dell Latitude E5400 with Win10 pro and all my data plus apps installed on a 1Tb HDD. I have acquired a newer laptop Lenovo T420 with Win 10 pro but it only has a 160Gb HDD.

Is it possible to move the 1Tb HDD to the newer Lenovo without having to re install everything.

I plan on passing the older Dell E5400 on to help someone else, with the smaller 160Gb HDD

Both laptops are Win 10 upgrades and not OEM install.

Many thanks.

GSXRRizla, Oct 31, 2017
  3. Warner141 Win User
    Secondary hard drive users folder after W10 anniversary update was renamed to pictures and displayed pictures icon

I had a similar problem with the Windows Creator update to Win 10. My SSD has the OS and programmes on it. The HDD has my personal data files. When I accepted the Win Creator update, it ended up transferring the HDD files to the SSD (totally filling it)
    and I could not use the computer. It was a lot of work to restore it to having the data files back on the HDD since the SSD overflowed and there was little working space left. DaveM121's solution of reestablishing the symbolic links and moving the data will
    hopefully help with the next problems: Win10 is now insisting I accept the Win Creator update on my other machines (4 of them) where I have declined for several months.

Best of all would be in MS let one choose at the Creator Update where one has one's data files. Lots of people run a dual SSD HDD system.

Warner141, Oct 31, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

CountMike, Oct 31, 2017
Thema:

1. Problems Moving HDD (And Data On It) to Windows 10 From Older Win Sys - Similar Threads - Problems Moving HDD

2. Move from Win 7 to Win 10, installation on older PC.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move from Win 7 to Win 10, installation on older PC.: Hello, it is good idea now move from Win 7 to Win 10? I have heard that Win 10 21H2 will be last build before Win 11, so make sense wait until it come? I dont want reinstall my OS every 6 months, that is why i stuck on Win 7. There is no hurry for me leave Win 7, i only move...
  3. windows moved from hdd to ssd problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows moved from hdd to ssd problem: so i moved my c drive from hdd to ssd but my files are still in the hdd, theres windows 10 on the ssd but it dosent have my files, to access the files i need to go to the hdd is there any way to move the files into the ssd i hope you understand my situation...
  4. Retrieving data from Windows 10 HDD

Retrieving data from Windows 10 HDD: I have a hard drive from a Windows 10 laptop that crashed during a Windows update. I tried repeatedly but none of the system repair steps were successful. I think most of my files were backed up to OneDrive but I am not confident. I removed the HDD from my laptop and put it...
  5. Moving data from VHD to HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving data from VHD to HDD: Hello everyone, So I have a Windows Image Backup that I cannot mount because "the disk image isn't initialized, contains partitions that aren't recognizable, or contains volumes that haven't been assigned drive letters. please use the disk management snap-in to make sure...
  6. Move data from ssd to hdd?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move data from ssd to hdd?: I built my pc yesterday, installed everything and my 250gb ssd is already full. How can I move my files from the ssd to the hdd? Thanks a lot! Daten von ssd auf hdd verschieben?
  7. Problems moving data from W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems moving data from W7 to W10: I'm moving my wife's data from her W7 laptop to a W10 laptop (W10 home 1903, build 18362.836) and I'm hitting problems. I've transferred her data fine but: 1. I cannot access her thunderbird profile which is at users/../.../roaming/Thunderbird/profiles/...... I get access...
  8. move data to external HDD

move data to external HDD: I have very limited memory in my laptop so I connected an external HDD. However I am unable to transfer much to it to free up internal storage. It says error 0x80070780, what are my options? thank you!...
  9. Problems moving downloads folder from SSD to HDD windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems moving downloads folder from SSD to HDD windows 10: I tried to move my downloads folder from my SSD to HDD because im running out of space in my SSD. I followed the conventional methods moving the location of the downloads folder from C to D drive. But when i download something, it creates a new download folder again in the C...
  10. Moving Boot from HDD to new SSD in Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Boot from HDD to new SSD in Win 10: My old computer went "bad" (I suspect that Windows updates became increasingly incompatible with my seven year-old hardware), so I decided to upgrade my motherboard, CPU and add a new SSD NVMe drive. I would like to boot from my SSD and run Adobe Photoshop 6.0 on it, but all...