Windows 10: Problems running DBAN

Discus and support Problems running DBAN in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I started a thread yesterday that started with the words Professional Cleaning and am trying to follow the advice I was given in that thread. The first... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by RhinoCan, Dec 31, 2017.

1. RhinoCan Win User

Problems running DBAN

I started a thread yesterday that started with the words Professional Cleaning and am trying to follow the advice I was given in that thread. The first thing I was advised to do was run DBAN to clean the hard drive but I'm having trouble with that and am hoping someone can help me out.

I downloaded the current version of DBAN; it yielded a single .ISO file. I followed the advice on the DBAN site and used CDBurnerXP to burn it onto a CD-RW. When I put it in the CD drive of the computer that needs to be wiped, nothing seemed to be happening when I rebooted the computer: I just got a black screen with no obvious activity. I rebooted and entered the BIOS by pressing the DEL key. The first item in the boot sequence was Windows Boot Manager so I changed it to CD/DVD Drive. That doesn't seem to be working much better; the machine boots into Windows 10 in the normal fashion.

I'm not sure if I need to do something different re the boot sequence or if the CD that it generated is lacking in some way. When I look at the CD in File Manager, it lists 8 files: ABOUT.TXT; DBAN.BZI; ISOLINUX.BIN, ISOLINUX.CAT, ISOLINUX.CFG, QUICK.TXT; RAID.TXT; and WARNING.TXT. The only one of these that might be an executable is ISOLINUX.BIN but nothing launches when I click on it. Is this what I *should* have on the CD? I've read the text files but they have little of value and are clearly dated since they refer to files that aren't on the disk.

Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong or, failing that, point me to another program that does a thorough erase of a compromised computer and is less troublesome to use?

Or do I need to contact DBAN for help?

:)

RhinoCan, Dec 31, 2017
  2. Mark-Wynn Win User

Installing Windows 10 on a usb

Nearly forgot to update, i've run DBAN on my laptop and it worked perfectly, the windows 10 I managed to download to my usb worked fine and my laptop seems to be working fine, but as before it still has the same problems with BSOD occasionally even with
    minimal apps.

Mark-Wynn, Dec 31, 2017
  3. preparing automatic repair, blank screen

The way I fixed this problem is that i used a bootable usb stick with "DBAN". DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) is like an OS with which you can erase your hard drives. I used DBAN to erase my hard drive
    clean and then used a bootable Windows 10 usb stick to reinstall Windows. This will erase everything on your computer...but it works. I had no choice, I have tried everything to recover my Windows but with no success before this. Hope this helps.

I have done this on a Lenovo Ideapad 100 15IBD

EmanuelMuresan, Dec 31, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Problems running DBAN

Boot from a windows 10 installation drive

Press shift+f10 to get to command prompt

Type

diskpart

list disk

select disk n (n is number of drive to be wiped - normally 0 if only 1 drive)

clean all (all does secure wipe - can take a long time - do overnight)

exit

exit

Drive is now wiped securely.

cereberus, Dec 31, 2017
Thema:

Problems running DBAN

1. Problems running DBAN - Similar Threads - Problems running DBAN

2. DBAN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DBAN: Should I use DBAN to wipe my computer completely? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dban/d02270aa-07c0-468c-be5a-1f6568b04b0c
  3. DBAN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DBAN: Should I use DBAN to wipe my computer completely? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dban/d02270aa-07c0-468c-be5a-1f6568b04b0c
  4. DBAN

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. DBAN

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    DBAN: After I use Dban on my PC deleting everything, can I get windows back again on my computer with a USB stick that has Windows downloaded on it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dban/621265ef-112b-49f0-8d85-77f34e12b9e5
  6. DBAN disk wipe on Bitlocker?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DBAN disk wipe on Bitlocker?: My mother has an old laptop which is very slow running Win10 with Bitlocker encryption. I set it up for her in the past. She wants to get rid of it. If the drive is encrypted, do I still need to wipe the data using DBAN? The hard drive is an IDE drive, not SSD. 156381
  7. Using DBAN

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using DBAN: Hello,Before running "DBAN" to wipe everything on both disks (old computer). Will the disks still be partitioned as they were, or have to repartition them.Answers will be appreciated.Thanks 114606
  8. Using DBAN

in Windows 10 Support
    Using DBAN: Hello,Before running "DBAN" to wipe everything on both disks (old computer). Will the disks still be partitioned as they were, or have to repartition them.Answers will be appreciated.Thanks 114606
  9. DBAN (Daric's Boot and Nuke)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DBAN (Daric's Boot and Nuke): DBAN is a tool that some find useful. All this installing, updating, uninstalling, ad infinite, can be simplified somewhat by swapping drives, wiping, replacing, etc. I've also seen posts where drives were trashed?? I doubt it but regardless................... Spare drives...
  10. DBAN instructions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DBAN instructions: So I wanna re-install Windows 10 using DBAN ie start over from scratch. Need a step-by-step guide, thank you. 57145

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dban.bzi not working

2. having trouble running dban on lenovo windows 10 laptop