Windows 10: Problems trying to search in Quick Access

Discus and support Problems trying to search in Quick Access in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Last machine was Windows 7, where I could search all of Favorites for words that I knew were in the file I wanted. Or I'd search on name:[string],... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by enso, May 28, 2017.

1. enso Win User

Problems trying to search in Quick Access

Last machine was Windows 7, where I could search all of Favorites for words that I knew were in the file I wanted. Or I'd search on name:[string], where [string] is part of the filename. Worked great.

I can't get a search in Quick Access to find anything, unless I first select one folder. I want to be able to search multiple folders, just like Favorites would.

Another thing I like to get back, if possible, is the drop down in the search field that would show the available parameters one can search on -- name, datemodified, etc., etc.

:)

2. Win10 Explorer search not finding existing file

* Try restarting the Windows Search service.

* Try navigating to the folder's actual location and then searching in it, instead of searching in the folder pinned to Quick access.

RobertJWin, May 28, 2017
  3. brobby Win User
    windows 10 file explorer left folder window keeps jumping to the middle

yes, i'd like all my file searches to act the same, starting at quick access. (quick access, after all, implies that it's a tool for quick access)

is there a global setting for this type of behavior?

brobby, May 28, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, there are two basic ways to start a search in Windows:
    1. The Cortana search bar which may be present on the task bar or via Windows key + S, for example.
    2. The familiar search field in file explorer.

These behave differently, but both relay on Windows indexing.

The Cortana search box is much more restricted and will not allow any means of specifying a search as you wish.
    As far as searching for files is concerned, it will only return results for indexed files. It will not find executable files of any type.

You might be able to specify your search verbally:
    In file explorer you can specify your search thus:
    Use the Search Contextual tab in Windows 10 to efficiently find files - TechRepublic
    or
    use Advanced Query Syntax to specify your search in detail. Frankly, this is cumbersome and akin to using a command prompt.
    E.g.
    How to Search for Files from a Certain Date Range in Windows 8 and 10
    And see:
    How to search for files in Windows 10

However, where the search extends to non-indexed areas, you will face the dreaded green progress bar.

A far better way is to use a free indexing search tool such as
    Ultrasearch
    Locate32 (which I like)
    Everything by void tools - use the beta version with extra search specification capability.

These are
    - comprehensive
    - easy to use
    - allow search specification using their GUI
    - instant (find as you type).

And if you want a really good search as part of your start menu, and a familiar and far more convenient, flexible, configurable start menu, use Classic Shell (free). It supports drag 'n drop, unlike Win 10's, properly expresses a hierarchical menu using nested folders (Win 10's fails badly).

dalchina, May 28, 2017
Thema:

1. Problems trying to search in Quick Access - Similar Threads - Problems trying search

2. Quick Access problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access problem: I have been searching for a solution to my issue with no success.I have already tried:Clearing the Recent App Data in two folders AutomaticDestinations and CustomDestinationsReset Windows 10 Quick Access using Registry Deleted QatItemsClear Quick Access folders using Command...
  3. Hide files from quick access search? indexing problems

Hide files from quick access search? indexing problems: I'm at my wit's end. I've spent hours trying to *actually* hide some files, but it's not working. For some reason they still appear in the quick access search, even though I have indexing for them turned off. Nothing I do works. The weird thing is they only appear in the...
  4. Windows Explorer - Search Quick Access

Windows Explorer - Search Quick Access: What is the command line to search for these special characters from the Window Explorer Search Quick access textbox? " * < > ? / \ [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-explorer-search-quick-access/ed242ecb-aff8-4f44-8ff0-2c66129fb1cb
  5. Search quick access not working

Search quick access not working: First to know, this happens normally when the computer turns on and then is using a search. When I try to type something for search in "search quick access " search simply doesn't work at all. Sometimes it doesn't allow me to type a word to execute a search, and at the very...
  6. Problem with Quick access

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with Quick access: Hi all,,,I don't know what has happened but I redirected from Quick Access Documents, Pictures music, to my D drive and when I look at the properties of those in quick access they point to D drive which is ok, but downloads is there and there is nothing in it and it points to...
  7. Problem with quick access

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with quick access: I replaced the system disk with another (clone it). Everything is ok but in quick access there are still connections to the old disk that has now become E, Even if I try to delete them and add the new ones, the wrong connections reappear on every reboot Thank Hispa 119202
  8. Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder: In File Explorer, Quick Access I can search for files and will see results from Documents, Music, and Video. But to find anything in Pictures I have to navigate to that folder specifically to search it. I've looked in vain for a setting that would let the Pictures folder be...
  9. Quick access problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick access problem: I have a windows 10 pro system. I have a DNS-323 NAS mounted as U: On the NAS I have a main folder "My Videos". Under this folder I have a temp and save folder. I have the U:\My Videos pinned to the quick access. When I use windows explorer to move a file from the main folder...
  10. quick access problem

in Windows 10 Support
    quick access problem: Quick access has a problem where if you a have a folder pinned in the quick access list. You click on that folder name Which takes you to that folder. You now move a file in that folder to a sub folder. After the move the quick access folder name changes to the sub folder...